James Newton Howard thread

nightscape94

Batman Begins is one of the few HZ & crew scores that have no proper cue credits within ASCAP. Every listing for the film credits every involved composer on each track. And while the track list from the sheets do list cues that JNH worked on, some pieces aren't indicative of the final versions that Zimmer and whoever else worked on instead for the finished score. Whilst BB was a better meld of the two composers sounds than TDK, I think it's usually fairly obvious when it is James or Hans.

Here's a lengthy post Hybrid Soldier made on the original H-Z site for what he speculates the final credits would've been:

Spoiler

Soooo ok let's dive into the big post... As I said before, it's not correct science, more like a tentative analysis based on facts & thoughts... But if it can help some curious people... :P

Let's start with the suites (the suites we KNOW of, probably a few more were written) :

HERO THEME
- Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard
Mostly Hans in there, but there's something very clever at 2:21, as you have the HZ theme (the one that mostly vanished in the 2 other films, except in choir boy mode and the 2 "Final Confrontations" with Joker & Talia) played with the brass, intertwined with a JNH theme played by the strings.

RA’S AL GHUL SUITE
- Hans Zimmer, Ramin Djawadi
The first 3 minutes is something Ramin Djawadi wrote, jamming with Martin Tillman's cello. At (3:02) starts a Hans piece. Source ? Hans himself.

So now the score. I give credit to Mel where it's "most obvious" cues he handled, but he's virtually everywhere in that score.

OPENING TITLES
- Mel Wesson
Pure Mel here, batflaps & co.

YOUNG BRUCE FALLS
- Hans Zimmer
Infamous ostinato / 2 notes motif.

PRISON NIGHTMARE
- Hans Zimmer
First appearance of a subtheme (aka "Ice" theme) that'll become the main theme of TDK & TDKR.

MEETING DUCARD
- Ramin Djawadi
First part of the Ra's suite.

THE LONG WALK
- Hans Zimmer
Reprise of Young Bruce Falls.

MONASTERY
- Mel Wesson, Hans Zimmer
Ambient & percs, definitely Mel, brief use of HZ's 2 notes motif at (2:06)

FATHER TO THE RESCUE
- James Newton Howard
All good things Bruce Wayne (linked to his family, Rachel...) by JNH introduced here

BRUCE’S DISCOMFORT
- Mel Wesson
Dark ambient, Mel.

MUGGING (PART 1)
- Mel Wesson
Dark ambient, Mel again.

MUGGING (PART 2) - GORDON COMFORTS BRUCE
First tricky cue, includes HZ themes (0:06) & (1:11) & JNH (1:58). The cue tends to JNH's style but is in fact closer to a "classy" HZ. So... Hans. Could be Ramin that just blended the two.

TRAINING
- Hans Zimmer, Ramin Djawadi
Second apparition of the "Ice" theme. Cue was co-written by Ramin, that's a fact.

CAMPFIRE - BRUCE GOES HOME
- James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer
Cue is definitely JNH, brief use of HZ's Ra's theme at (0:37).

COURTHOUSE (PART 1)
Cue is again JNH, using a bunch of HZ things (the beginning choir & the motif from the Hero Theme at (1:53)).

COURTHOUSE (PART 2) (MISSING CUE)
- James Newton Howard, Mel Wesson
Very cool missing cue, starting with Mel’s movie intro and going to a very dark JNH arrangement of his own Father To The Rescue.

YOUR SYSTEM IS BROKEN
That's more Hans, but uses a James motif at (0:26), which is a different pitch version of the Father To The Rescue piano.

MEETING FALCONE
- James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Mel Wesson
Can’t really make it up with that track. Starts with JNH’s theme until (0:11), then goes on with what Hans apparently continuated from it (0:15-0:35), big drama part. There’s a lot of Mel. But the whole track could be something Ramin or Lorne arranged.

DECISION
Cue is definitely HZ. JNH theme used at (1:05).

HIDE IN THE DARK
- James Newton Howard
Low key JNH with Mel’s ambient.

INITIATION INTO LEAGUE
- James Newton Howard
Again pure JNH here.

TEMPLE FIGHT - SAVING DUCARD
JNH unleashes madness. HZ motifs heard here (Hero Theme at (1:18) and some Ra’s at (2:44)).

RETURN TO GOTHAM
- James Newton Howard
Not much to say here. Mel's ambient used here.

CRANE WARNS RACHEL (PART 1)
- James Newton Howard
Same as the previous one.

CRANE WARNS RACHEL (PART 2)
- Mel Wesson
Scarecrow ! Scarecrow !

THE BAT CAVE
- Hans Zimmer
Yes, Hans. JNH wrote a version 1 of this. But it’s version 8...

WAYNE ENTERPRISES
- James Newton Howard
JNH territory.

PROTOTYPES
- James Newton Howard, Ramin Djawadi, Hans Zimmer
Beginning is very JNH, but the electro arrangement of the track at (0:31) sounds too Djawadi not to be. Use of HZ’s 2 notes motif at (1:09).

PREPARING EQUIPMENTS
- Hans Zimmer, Mel Wesson, James Newton Howard
Mel flaps start the cue. Cue is more Hans territory (maybe with Lorne). JNH theme shows at (0:44).

I’M NO RAT - BATMAN VISITS GORDON (MISSING CUE)
- Hans Zimmer, Mel Wesson
More Mel Flaps. Hans cue. Reprised almost identital in TDK, track LSI Extraction.

I NEED YOU AT THE DOCKS - WHY BATS?
Still Mel flaps, cue is HZ.

DOCKYARD AMBUSH (PART 1)
- James Newton Howard, Mel Wesson
Quite a lot of Mel in there too, but the classy dark orchestration reminds us JNH's in the place.

DOCKYARD AMBUSH (PART 2)
- Hans Zimmer
Well, probably the most epic rendition of HZ’s Hero theme. Too short.

RACHEL ATTACKED
- Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, James Newton Howard
A lot going on in that cue, mashing up very different things. The electro starting the track (straight out of Angels & Demons) tells me the thing was arranged by Lorne. JNH theme shows up at (1:19).

MICROWAVE STOLEN
- James Newton Howard
JNH’s more ambient dark writing.

MEETING RACHEL
- James Newton Howard
No debate here. JNH.

CRANE’S MASK
- Mel Wesson
Scarecrow motif.

GORDON AT HOME
- James Newton Howard
JNH arranging his theme pretty dark.

FINCH IS KILLED (MISSING CUE)
My fav missing cue. Starts with a classy variation of that theme from the beginning of The Bat Cave. Then a soft arrangement of the epic part of the Hero Theme underlined by Mel’s flaps.

BATMAN ON FIRE
Scarecrow poisoning sounds by Mel. But the track is very Hans. Theme from Meeting Falcone (and a part of it can be heard at the end of Mugging Pt 2). Reprised in the Moody Bruce suite in TDKR.

FINDERS KEEPERS (PART 1)
- James Newton Howard
Softer JNH back.

FINDERS KEEPERS (PART 2)
- Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard (0:37)
Arrangement of the Hero Theme by Hans (could be Lorne arranging). JNH theme popping full force at (0:36).

FOX IS FIRED
- James Newton Howard
Reprise of Prototypes. Unless it was written before. ;)

MAKING MEDICINE
- Lorne Balfe, Mel Wesson, James Newton Howard
Most of it is Mel Wesson’s ambient. But I have no doubt that cue is Lorne. That high strings writing at (1:53) is so typical of him. JNH theme popping at (1:06).

FIGHT IN CRANE’S LAB (PART 1)
Mostly Mel’s ambient in there again, but the structure of the cue is very HZ.

FIGHT IN CRANE’S LAB (PART 2)
- Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe
Hans & Lorne, definitely.

FIGHT IN CRANE’S LAB (PART 3)
- Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe
Same as the previous one.

BACK UP
Known fact that the cue was handled by Lorne arranging HZ. JNH’s usual theme pops in at (0:25)

BATMOBILE CHASE
Lorne’s arrangement of the Hero Theme, HZ & JNH are everywhere in the mix.

RACHEL IN BAT CAVE
- James Newton Howard
After so much action, back to some more quieter JNH...

YOUR FATHER’S NAME
- James Newton Howard
... which continues here.

CRANE INTERROGATED
- Mel Wesson
More flaps & more Scarecrow.

DUCARD APPEARS
- Ramin Djawadi
Back to the first part of Ra’s.

DUCARD AND GOTHAM’S FATE
- Ramin Djawadi, Hans Zimmer
More Ra’s. HZ theme popping at (2:49)

BRUCE LEFT FOR DEAD - STILL HAVEN’T GIVEN UP
- James Newton Howard
JNH madness all the way.

RACHEL GIVES GORDON THE ANTIDOTE
- Ramin Djawadi, Mel Wesson, James Newton Howard
A lot of Mel in here, Ramin’s Ra’s at (1:51)... JNH theme popping at (3:06)

BATMAN ARRIVES
- Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, Mel Wesson
Hans & Lorne. Some Scarecrow ambient from Mel.

BATMAN RESCUES RACHEL - FIGHT WITH LEAGUE
- Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, James Newton Howard (2:00)
More Hero Theme arrangements, means JNH theme shows up at (2:00) for instance. That cue sounds like a real Hans & Lorne combo. A bit of Mel sounds.

TRAIN FIGHT
More & more Hero Theme mapped here & definitely arranged by LB. A cool arrangement of that JNH theme at (0:50).

FINAL CONFRONTATION
Lorne action frenzy using themes from Batman Visits Gordon, Back Up or JNH (0:20).

TRAIN CRASH
More Lorne action. Reprise of that HZ subtheme from Meeting Falcone / Batman On Fire, & JNH theme at (0:28).

DANGER OVER
- Hans Zimmer
Classy 2 notes motif to breathe for a minute.

SURVEYING THE RUINS
- James Newton Howard
100% James concluding Bruce Wayne.

GORDON SAYS THANKS
And HZ concluding Batman, JNH theme shows at (0:23).

On 2/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, Jay said:

That information used to all be located and easy to find at hans-zimmer.com, but a month or 2 ago they launched a completely new version of the website and all that information got wiped out

The regular information the old website held is still easily accessible on the main site. It's just that with the way they've decided to pretty much store all the info, it's not easy to get the exact page you want to link to without having to manually comb through the discography/team section yourself. I doubt this link gets you to where I want it to go, for instance (as in the album itself, and not the general composer page).

What is missing so far is all the comments that were made on the old site, which admittedly is where the bread and butter of most of the credit discussions stemmed from. Given a lot of the oldest comments from the early years of the site weren't archived the best, I doubt they've been erased for good. But I am imagining there's some serious compatibility issues that's preventing them from being reinstated faster.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, LSH said:

what to expect from the upcoming JUNGLE CRUISE

What he said sounds really promising! :rock:

Even though I find the Rock to be unwatchable, I will watch this film to hear JNH's music!

Edit: I listened to JNH's entire podcast interview. This is a very intelligent and thoughtful and humble man. For a man so talented, he's so bereft of ego.

• 4 months later...

I’m a big fan of this one too. The Swimming cue is epic and the action music at the end is top notch stuff in the vein of KING KONG.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Interesting project. Wonder what kind of a score this will be. 

I'm wondering that myself. I think it either will be a small piano and strings score, or a homage to the Williams scores for Lucas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what this George Lucas / ILM documentary is that JNH mentions he's scored (at 1:06:21)? I can't seem to find any information about it, or even evidence that it exists. :blink:

47 minutes ago, LSH said:

Does anybody know what this George Lucas / ILM documentary is that JNH mentions he's scored (at 1:06:21)? I can't seem to find any information about it, or even evidence that it exists. :blink:

There's a ton of media articles about it, but they all originate with this Podcast as the source:

https://collider.com/george-lucas-docuseries-ilm-lawrence-kasdan/

https://screenrant.com/george-lucas-documentary-star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-details/

https://www.slashfilm.com/608149/docuseries-about-george-lucas-and-ilm-coming-from-director-lawrence-kasdan/

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/09/george-lucas-ilm-documentary-lawrence-kasdan.html

https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/empire-strikes-back-writer-lawrence-kasdan-to-direct-docuseries-george-lucas/

No mention of it on Kasdan's imdB. I wonder if it was supposed to be a secret and JNH spilled the beans lol.

Surprising to hear that he didn't write the melody for The Hanging Tree. That's pretty much the only element of the music from Mockingjay (either part) that I really liked. (just after 42 mins in the video)

That's been known since it came out.  The end credits of the film correctly credits who wrote it, as does the OST album

• 2 weeks later...

I THINK this is a rights holding company that basically bought JNH's copyrights or whatever.  Like how JW's camp has to approve every release that contains his music, that company now has the rights to JNH's music catalog and JNH doesn't have any personal say in how his music is released.  Conceivably, they could also pursue reissues and expansions being the rights holders.

Rights holding companies are buying up catalogs for a lot of artists because pretty much the only way to make any kind of good money from streaming services is to own A LOT OF MUSIC on those services.

But the confusing parts is, a film score is commissioned by the production company making the film, and they own it, not the composer.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

But the confusing parts is, a film score is commissioned by the production company making the film, and they own it, not the composer.

Yeah I'm really not sure how it works for film composers, I've only seen coverage of these kind of deals for pop artists before.