James Newton Howard thread

nightscape94

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

An album for Light & Music is released.

41 minutes. It's a nice album. Like it quite a lot.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/light-magic-original-soundtrack/1640179298

Doesn't seem to be available in my region :( 

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The clips sound completely synth

Sounds more synthy than I remember it being in the show in fact. I think most, if not all of it is there; I was only really seeking out a handful of cues and they're all there.

There are a few genuinely good moments - the melody in the final track is lovely. But it's all spoiled by a terrible sampled orchestra. I thought he was good at this sort of thing!

I guarantee you, if I had the sheets, I could MIDI program it more convincingly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, JNH is a mostly functional composer.

I wonder what you guys mean by functional?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

His scores do what they are supposed to do, which is to support the film. But away from the film they're rarely interesting. 

Hmm I see, but I kinda don't agree with that. JNH is one of the composers which I love listening to the scores on their own the most, without the movie. But maybe that's just a personal preference.

The only JNH scores I think are completely uninteresting outside the movie (or, heck, even within the movie itself) are those suspense thriller scores like The Bourne Legacy, Salt, Nightcrawler, Michael Clayton (how come that was nominated for an Oscar and not Maleficent or King Kong?!? :banghead:), Concussion, etc.

Really, I dunno why he insists on doing these movies if their scores are just going to be electronic textures and brooding strings for 2 hours.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The only JNH scores I think are completely uninteresting outside the movie (or, heck, even within the movie itself) are those suspense thriller scores like The Bourne Legacy, Salt, Nightcrawler, Michael Clayton (how come that was nominated for an Oscar and not Maleficent or King Kong?!? :banghead:), Concussion, etc.

Really, I dunno why he insists on doing these movies if their scores are just going to be electronic textures and brooding strings for 2 hours.

Completely agree with that, and the same goes for John Powell (another of my favourite composers). He has so many amazing scores, but then some thriller-action or cheap love-romantic comedy movies that has really boring and uninteresting music.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

His scores do what they are supposed to do, which is to support the film. But away from the film they're rarely interesting. 

That's a half-truth. His themes and/or motifs often are very memorable, when he gets the spotlight in a crucial scene, he's up there with the best of them.

The downside: he's by his very nature submissive to the filmmaker's wishes, even when they're stupid and ill-considered (meaning obvious temp-track rewriting or carpeting long sections with atmospherics). The truth is that is exactly the reason for his longevity in the business.

As for the question of Edmilson, that's easy: he does these movies because they are either simply good and he wants them on his resume or because he's chummy with the makers or he's just happy not doing stuff like 'King Kong 2' (probably a fan dream) all the time.

The argument of 'functional' could possibly be applied to JNH's work in the last 15 years or so, where he adhers to contemporary stylings and trends that don't suit him well, no doubt guided by the filmmakers and/or the climate of our times. There are exceptions in this period, of course, where you can hear that he's still "in there" somewhere, but it mostly comes out in bits and pieces within said scores (a rare example of him being brilliant all the way through in recent times -- and not just bits and pieces -- is A HIDDEN LIFE, of course).

However, if you go back beyond that period, the argument of 'functional' has no bearing whatsoever. His 80s, 90s and early 2000s work is ripe with brilliant scores that go deep into the psychology of the characters and settings while at the same time being beautiful musical compositions in and of themselves. The absolute opposite of "merely functional".

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I agree on all of those except Nightcrawler - I do like that one. He probably does those because he has a working relationship with a director or producer.

Also he'll probably see those scores as far more than just textures/brooding strings for 2 hours - there will be details and things he's putting in which we barely notice but which give him creative satisfaction.

He does strike me as somebody who is incredibly easy to work with, agreeable, and will do exactly as he is told. He's never had a score rejected as far as I know?

15 hours ago, LSH said:

He does strike me as somebody who is incredibly easy to work with, agreeable, and will do exactly as he is told. He's never had a score rejected as far as I know?

JNH acknowledged in several interviews that he was quite an asshole and hard to work with early in his career. He didn't mention exactly when he changed, but i guess when he bedded Babs Streisand and was her choice as John Barry replacement for 'Prince of Tides' he was a different person. Streisand is famously not a person you disagree with. Btw, the score for 'Prince of Tides' is mushy and awful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2022 at 12:45 AM, publicist said:

JNH acknowledged in several interviews that he was quite an asshole and hard to work with early in his career. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While listening to "Wyatt Earp" I thought, that I like about him, that He is or at least was capable of writing big classical adventure scores like this or King Kong or Dinosaurs. One reason why I prefer him over Thomas Newman for example.

But somehow, even in my most beloved scores of JNH there doesn't seem to be what I would call humable melodies that stick in your head. The themes are often recognisable in a way. Yes. But If I compare Wyatt Earp with for example Dances with Wolves these themes stick in my head for a long time. Happens more or less never with James Newton Howard. 

JNH is a good composer but not really a hit writer. My personal impression. By the way like most others as well. 

30 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

While listening to "Wyatt Earp" I thought, that I like about him, that He is or at least was capable of writing big classical adventure scores like this or King Kong or Dinosaurs. One reason why I prefer him over Thomas Newman for example.

But somehow, even in my most beloved scores of JNH there doesn't seem to be what I would call humable melodies that stick in your head. The themes are often recognisable in a way. Yes. But If I compare Wyatt Earp with for example Dances with Wolves these themes stick in my head for a long time. Happens more or less never with James Newton Howard. 

JNH is a good composer but not really a hit writer. My personal impression. By the way like most others as well. 

Yeah, I generally agree.

One JNH theme that has stuck in my mind , is the love theme from The Prince of Tides (which became a song after all, or was it a song originally?). Have you listened to that?

(it starts at 0.49'')

@filmmusic: Never listened to Prince of the Tides. Thanks for pointing to this. It is beautiful.

But even though this is a song melody, I have also an issue with a lot of Streisand's song melodies, that I cannot keep them in my head.

Big exceptions are all the Yentl songs and Hello Dolly. But most of her songs are not really catchy tunes for me. Same here.

PRINCE OF TIDES is JNH in undilluted romantic Barry mode, and enjoyable for what it is -- probably a love letter to his girlfriend Barbara Streisand at the time. But it's not really typical him, and I don't find myself returning to it very often.

The main theme is the stickier one for me from Prince of Tides

Pretty simple but effective. It always makes me think of a David Copperfield special when he used it for his "snow" trick lol 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

The main theme is the stickier one for me from Prince of Tides

But that is what I mean. These three notes repeated three time at the beginning. Nobody who wants to write a sticky melody would do it that way. I mean, yes, if you repeat that three notes many times the probability for this motif to stick in you head is three times higher. But it does not really result in what I would call an interesting  tune. JNH works brillantly with these kinds of little motifs. But the tune is not really, what I call a hit tune. Something like Williams' love theme from The Terminal for example. This here is kind of an emulation of such a tune with everything, that belongs to it except the tune itself.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

PRINCE OF TIDES is JNH in undilluted romantic Barry mode, and enjoyable for what it is -- probably a love letter to his girlfriend Barbara Streisand at the time. But it's not really typical him, and I don't find myself returning to it very often.

From JNH's 1991 output, I much prefer the likes of The Man In The Moon and My Girl (which is desperately crying out for a [debut] release). HINT

My god, he was quite the player, wasn't he?

Wasn't he married to one of the Arquette sisters?*

*Yes, it was Rosanna. (Oh, I feel a song coming on!)

14 minutes ago, LSH said:

undilluted romantic Barry mode

Yeah, and I'm glad he never tried to emulate that style again. JNH did a lot of romantic dramas and Rom-Coms in the 90s and I much preferred the style he developed for those. Lovely, soothing stuff that was simple but emotional... 

My Best Friend's Wedding is my favourite. It does that 'small orchestra doing sad chords and nice noodly woodwinds' kind of thing that I love about the genre in the 90s. 

13 minutes ago, Luka said:

This has to be one of my favourite Action (almost horror, in that case) cues ever!

Actually, JNH is probably my favourite composer for action cues. (I'm thinking of King Kong and Maleficent, for example, that have amazing action music).

I love how his action music is very much thematic and not-boring to listen to! With a lot of stuff going on at the same time in the orchestra.

Not the first time I've seen that cue mentioned, and I just don't get why. It comes across to me as 8 minutes of fairly random 'stuff' happening with the orchestra - no structure or standout ideas.

I prefer his more melodic dramatic side, such as his earlier M. Night material, over his action/adventure scores.

I truly believe that if JNH's films were as commercially successful as Williams' films were, he'd be similarly known and celebrated the world over.

In my opinion, he has created works on the level of Williams' best, but Williams has (of course been a god of composing) but also a part of some huge cinematic firsts, like Jaws (first real blockbuster) Star Wars (first space fantasy film of its kind) Superman (first major Superhero film) Jurassic Park (first major use of creature CGI) etc etc. 

In my opinion, JNH's Signs score is as masterful as Williams' Jaws, his Village score is as masterful as Schindler's List, his King Kong score is as masterful as many of Williams' action adventure scores, his Dinosaur, Treasure Planet, Maleficent Scores are as masterful as Williams' Star Wars, Superman etc.

Personally, I think his Unbreakable score is the best Superhero score ever written. (And the film the best of its genre too).

I know many here will be calling me blasphemous for my comparisons to Williams, but that's what I believe.