Amadeus (the film)

robthehand

I've got a chance to see this in a cinema in about a week, but I've never seen it before - and I actually know very little about it, other than that's it's supposed to be good.

Can any of you recommend (or not recommend) it? I need to decide quite soon whether I want to go to this screening, so I'd appreciate any advice. ^_^

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is okay. I'm not sure if you are seeing the director's cut though considering I got the director's cut version.

It's a good film especially for Mozart music lovers but I not one of them.

Wrong, it's a good film, especially for anyone who's ever been envious of someone else.

Indeed. The story is more about a man who hates his modiocrity than about the greatest child

progidy of all time.

And that Abraham dude should have won two oscars for playing both young and old Salieri.

The film works because most of us can feel for Salieri, a man who works tirelessly, doing his best to create something beautiful, yet even his hardest work is simply outclassed by the writings of an upstart who doesn't even seem to be trying.

Salieri knows his own work is irrelevant, and knows Mozarts is so good, that's why he both loves and hates him.

Wether the outcome of the film actually happened in real life or not, this is the best way to tell the story.

One of the greatest movies ever made. It is quite irrelevent whether or not you like Mozart, Sallieri, classical music, it is a great film about two people, about envy, about music.

One of the greatest movies ever made. It is quite irrelevent whether or not you like Mozart, Sallieri, classical music, it is a great film about two people, about envy, about music.

That's is true. I didn't mind the actual film itself. The perfomance was great about these two people telling a life story.

Mozart's laugh is awesome.

I find Mozart's laugh considerably random.

Sorry but what was that Ender? I didn't quite understand what you're trying to say. Doing the first but not doing the second...what are you on about?

Sorry but what was that Ender? I didn't quite understand what you're trying to say. Doing the first but not doing the second...what are you on about?

He meant is there any point in excusing envy if you're not condemning humanity.

:)

Is that excusing envy, or condemning humanity, I wonder?

It is simply stating a fact.

Well excuse me for trying to broaden the horizons of this board, philosophically.

Humans have some bad traits, and envy is one of them. If you must envy to be human, then humans must be bad, right?

Last time I checked, envy is not mandatory.

Envy and Compassion are emotions. A human does not have power over these emotions, only to what degree he acts upon them (or not).

It's not that simple Mr. Rabbit.

Most humans are not able to look at themselve and their actions objectivly.

I would think it impossible for one to look at himself objectively.

Oh I think quite a few people can look at themselves objectively, but are afraid to admit what they see or just don't care. Some change as they grow older and can come to grips with it. Others continue to lie or or live in denial.

Okay, I understand that. I was wrong. You can't prevent yourself from feeling a certain way, but you can prevent yourself from acting on it. However, I do think that you can overcome any envy, hate, pride, or any baggage that you might have. Salieri is the perfect example of a man who let his impulses destroy him.

Oh I think quite a few people can look at themselves objectively, but are afraid to admit what they see or just don't care. Some change as they grow older and can come to grips with it. Others continue to lie or or live in denial.

A person can look subjectively and still see correctly. The point is, everthing we see is colored by a million and one things, particularly when looking inwards. You may be able to see clearly, but it's still gone through a few filters. Objectivity, I think, it having no predisposition at all, hardly something a person can say about himself, I think.

Okay, I understand that. I was wrong. You can't prevent yourself from feeling a certain way, but you can prevent yourself from acting on it. However, I do think that you can overcome any envy, hate, pride, or any baggage that you might have. Salieri is the perfect example of a man who let his impulses destroy him.

Well, if there's any hope for us it's in that we can overcome these destructive urges. But denying that a problem exists is just a road to failure.

TC is better. DC adds a couple of informative scenes, but nothing critical, and, overall, does slow down the film a bit, when I think that the TC is practically perfect in every way. The only real additions that I remember was showing in detail the day to day world of teaching pupils (which was really the way the composer made a living), and it showed precisely why Constanza loathes Sallieri (not necassery, we see enough reasons in the TC).

My two cents.

Yup, the original, bare bones DVD contains the TC and the trailer. The Special Edition, IIRC (I lent mine out) contains only the DC, no TC. However it's worth getting for the special features- a good doc and a great commentary by Forman and Schaffer.