Amadeus (the film)

robthehand

Sorry, only saw it once, years ago. But, as I recall, it was a rather crummy transfer (may be wrong about that). My advice- get the SE, it's got one hell of a transfer, brilliant sound, good special features, and the added scenes don't make all that much of a difference to the overall experience, especially if you are not already familiar with the TC.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amadeus is a must see. The writing of the Confutatis is perhaps the best depiction of music on film.

I turn up the volume when he plays the finished version in his head.

And the director's cut is good. Its significant addition is a scene involving Salieri and Constanza, after she submits Mozart's work to Salieri. Morlock, I think this added scene fully explains the quote "I regret we have no servants to show you out, Herr Salieri."

Another major scene is Mozart trying to teach a girl to play piano, only to find the parents' reasons for hiring him are much different.

And then a little bit before Mozart's final concert that puts a cap on the Emperor's involvement with Mozart.

The rest is added dialogue here and there.

Yes, the theatrical cut is perfect. But the director's cut is just as good. Peter Shaffer is a fantastic writer.

Amadeus is a must see. The writing of the Confutatis is perhaps the best depiction of music on film.

I turn up the volume when he plays the finished version in his head.

And the director's cut is good. Its significant addition is a scene involving Salieri and Constanza, after she submits Mozart's work to Salieri. Morlock, I think this added scene fully explains the quote "I regret we have no servants to show you out, Herr Salieri."

Another major scene is Mozart trying to teach a girl to play piano, only to find the parents' reasons for hiring him are much different.

And then a little bit before Mozart's final concert that puts a cap on the Emperor's involvement with Mozart.

The rest is added dialogue here and there.

Yes, the theatrical cut is perfect. But the director's cut is just as good. Peter Shaffer is a fantastic writer.

As I said, I feltit slowed down things a bit. It's interesting, but none of it is necassery.

The added scene with Salieri and Constance makes the scenes in which Salieri starts to think about murdering Mozart much more believable. Without that scene, it's difficult to see him as someone capable of killing someone.

Still, Amadeus was already my favourite movie of all time, even before I saw the DC.

I've now seen the film (though unfortunately not theatrically). Absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait to see it again. F. Murray Abraham absolutely deserved his Oscar. I need to see more Milos Forman films - I think I've only seen this and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. :(

Well, that scene also lends more gravity to the anger she shows him at the end of the film. In the theatrical cut, when that scene was omitted, the motivation seemed off.

Was it the nudity in that scene that caused the Director's Cut to get an "R" rating in the US? In this country it's still "PG", even with that scene.

I've seen those two, as well as The People Vs. Larry Flint and Man on The Moon, and I wasn't a big fan. I'd love to see Hair, Fireman's Ball, and Valmont, but they're unavailable here. Also Goya's Ghost looks interesting, but it looks like a remake of The Girl with The Pearl Earing.

"Dangerous Liaisons" is the better choice, if not only to see Keanu Reeves in period clothes.

And for Glenn Close's boobs.

Oh yeah, and the acting is superb.

"Valmont" is good, but is a high school production compared to "Dangerous Liaisons."

Well, that scene also lends more gravity to the anger she shows him at the end of the film. In the theatrical cut, when that scene was omitted, the motivation seemed off.

Was it the nudity in that scene that caused the Director's Cut to get an "R" rating in the US? In this country it's still "PG", even with that scene.

Yes, it was. It's a shame that it was upgraded to an 'R' for a bit of nudity, especially since it's all of 2 seconds of screen time until she covers up. And it's just a display of her breasts, there is no sexual contact or anything perverted about it. Three cheers for the MPAA!

And for Glenn Close's boobs.

Please tell me you meant to say Uma Thurman.

Tim

I recommend visiting this page at the Mozart Project for a comparison of the movie with history for further reading and enlightenment. :thumbup:

I found the movie to be very good, but keep in mind that the Mozart we see on the screen is how Salieri sees him, not how he actually was. If we can understand it's not a "bio-pic" of Mozart, it can be highly entertaining. Hearing the music in surround sound was very nice on the home system.

EDIT: I just noticed my member number is 1,977 . . . that's awesome since that's my birth year and the year Star Wars was released . . . :)

"Valmont" is good, but is a high school production compared to "Dangerous Liaisons."

I remember liking Dangerous Liaisons very much, too. It also has a nice score written/adapted by Fenton.

AMADEUS is one of my favourite movies. "Govern your tongue, Cosman. How dare you!" :)

Yup, the original, bare bones DVD contains the TC and the trailer. The Special Edition, IIRC (I lent mine out) contains only the DC, no TC. However it's worth getting for the special features- a good doc and a great commentary by Forman and Schaffer.

The original AMADEUS on DVD is also a "flipper" on Region 2. One of the first discs to hit DVD land at the time.