2001 . . .

Goldsmithfan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got notification from SAE yet, and the order page still says "Pending". I'm not sure how well that system works actually, since I've received the item before the dispatch notice a few times in the past.

I'm not sure how well that system works actually, since I've received the item before the dispatch notice a few times in the past.

Hmm . . . That's kind of odd. I haven't had that happen. Well, one time with Varese, but that's a different site altogether! Mine says "pending fulfillment" as well. Now I'm really wondering!

I ordered from SAE, who I think are a little lazy with their dispatch notices (not something to complain about - since they deliver in excellent time).

I never order from Intrada or Varese if I can avoid it, since I get stung by import duty on large orders. Once, I ordered one $20 CD from Varese, and they put value on the packaging as $200, which caused a bit of confusion with the post office.

Yes, one time I received a package from SAE and later that day an email came stating that they had shipped my package.

Varese still shows my account with several pending orders that I've received, including the very first set of the new club releases. Sometimes I get an email, sometimes I don't. Intrada always sends an email out the day they ship.

Varese still shows my account with several pending orders that I've received, including the very first set of the new club releases. Sometimes I get an email, sometimes I don't. Intrada always sends an email out the day they ship.

I can't help it, I just don't trust Varese. Their customer service is TERRIBLE. One time, I placed an order from them, I waited the 6 weeks they recommend for international shippings, and nothing. I emailed them, explained the problem, and got a one-line response - "international orders can take up to six weeks, or possibly longer".

I can't help it, I just don't trust Varese. Their customer service is TERRIBLE. One time, I placed an order from them, I waited the 6 weeks they recommend for international shippings, and nothing. I emailed them, explained the problem, and got a one-line response - "international orders can take up to six weeks, or possibly longer".

Still you did get a reply. My order of Home Alone 2 and Studs Lonigan got lost and they didn't even bothered in answering.

SAE has some of the finest service I've ever found. So does Intrada, but for some reason I tend to prefer SAE.

Still you did get a reply. My order of Home Alone 2 and Studs Lonigan got lost and they didn't even bothered in answering.

SAE has some of the finest service I've ever found. So does Intrada, but for some reason I tend to prefer SAE.

Until now I had the luck that I didn't had any problems with Varese.

But I know from my own experience that SAE, Intrada, LaLaLand and Percepto records have very nice custom service.

Did you two both order direct from Intrada.

Yeah, from Intrada.

The sound quality is much better than I expected. And there are lots of interesting info in the (well designed) booklet.

Is it worth buying for someone who already owns the previous release conducted by Goldsmith? How does it compare to that version?

I'm going to try and create an entire new edit of the film, with North's music.

It probably won't work, but I'll try anyway. The difficulty will come in editing out the current music, but keeping the sound effects.

I'm going to try and create an entire new edit of the film, with North's music.

It probably won't work, but I'll try anyway. The difficulty will come in editing out the current music, but keeping the sound effects.

You'll probably won't have all that trouble, since most of the times there is music, there are close to no dialogue or sound effects.

True in most cases, yes, but I think the bone monkey scene might be problematic. It has very prominent music, but also important sound effects.

Ah well, I'll see what happens. :(

True in most cases, yes, but I think the bone monkey scene might be problematic. It has very prominent music, but also important sound effects.

Ah well, I'll see what happens. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I plan on doing the same thing, so we can always compare results :P

I don't have any plans on ordering this CD but I will say I've ordered from Varese directly before in the past and I've never once had a problem. They were pretty quick on sending out my CD's. I guess people in the US must not much have a headache problems because of Varese like people outside the US...

Mine came today. I listened to it first out of the other two CDs that came with it. Quite an interesting listen. Very superior to the rerecording. Although, "Eat Meat and the Kill" seems to have a slight glitch, probably on the original recording. During the pauses (much longer in this version I believe) you can hear the music begin again, albeit very quietly, before it "actually" starts. I thought I was only hearing things the first time it happened, but it continues through almost the entire cue. Quite odd. It's the only track it happens during (that I noticed anyway) so it's still a very listenable album. And I'm sure it'll become just one of those quirks as my number of listens grows.

I also got Saturn 3 in my order. I'm very excited about this one as well. However, the art for the tracklist is somewhat discouraging. I looked at it and pretty much said, "Hel-lo legs!" But sadly, of all the pictures to be blocky, the one featuring the gams is the only one. Damn!

I got an email over a week ago that it had been fullfilled... Last Wednesday to be exact.

Am I wrong to think that means it's been shipped?

I'm still waiting but I havn't seen it yet... I'm beginning to wonder if I should call them...

Has anyone elses taken this long?

Well, for one, I hate how they condensed the tracks... removing the endings from quite a few tracks... And not just any endings, the memorable endings in the film... like ones you know the music doesn't just flow into.

Mostly what's left off are alternate takes of cues... with longer or shorter endings... nothing of much consequence.

"Hello My Baby" of course isn't on there as you mentioned.

There's also two tracks I have no clue what they are..

One is a marching piece that is odd...

The second is a short ominous rendition of "Love Theme"

Then there is a second, shorter version of "Hail to the Chief," a separate take of the Wedding music...and another take ofanother wedding piece played with different registration...

I love (and am slightly annoyed) that he's humming as he's conducting...

But anyways, that's not quite what this thread is about ;) I'll make another if there is enough interest...

I think that Bones is certainly an improvement over Goldsmiths, it's a lot more noble. Night Terrors is a lot more terrifying. :P The faster tempo suites the start of space station docking better. But the string part towards the end is superior by Goldsmith. I think that the Goldsmith is a really good recording, and eat meat and the kill and the bluff surpass the original in energy. And Moon rocket bus is much better on the Goldsmith, more gentle and romantic, the score benefits a lot from the high sound quality Goldsmith recording as it relies a lot on it's ingenious textures. This OST release of the score is interesting but I don't think it's superior to the Goldsmith.