New favorite cue of the past 18 months

Trumpeteer

I've been revisiting some scores from the past 18 months, scores I used to listen to daily but now have pushed aside for new scores.

One of those is "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I loved this movie when I first saw it, and my admiration for it never wavers. When the chess game scene had finished on my first viewing, I looked at my friend and said, "That's the best scene I've seen this year." Previously, that title had belonged to the scene in "A.I." when David and Joe encounter the weeping lion. Great imagery, spectacular crescendo in music.

Over time, my favorite scene had changed to the first viewing of the clone troopers in "Attack of the Clones." Using the Trade Federation droid music, the scene gained a new intensity that couldn't be matched ...

... until the Spyders scene in "Minority Report." What a fun scene to watch and hear. I was so glad to hear a reprise of the music in the end credits.

Then I saw "Road to Perdition." As sick as this may sound, I enjoyed the murder scene. The music accentuated the mood, added to the atmosphere, and became another character. That's something Thomas Newman did remarkably well in that film.

But now, my new favorite scene returns us to Harry Potter. The scene where Longbottom loses control of his broomstick and flies is a lot of fun, and uses some driving music to lift the audience as well. But the best part occurs when Malfoy throws the Remembrall (sic) and Harry catches it. Just then the strings play the very lifting victory theme (which is what I like to call it) as Harry returns to a celebration among his friends. Boy, does that moment get me in the gut.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go with Fellowship of the Ring:

-The scene where the fellowship enters the great hall of Dwarrowdelf in Moria ("Let me risk a little more light")

-The departure from Lórien until the passing of the Argonath

Over time, my favorite scene had changed to the first viewing of the clone troopers in "Attack of the Clones." Using the Trade Federation droid music, the scene gained a new intensity that couldn't be matched ...

That's the best scene in AOTC and the best part of the score.Too bad it's only 30 seconds long.

K.M.

The last part of A.I. Artificial Intelligence (in the ice age).

The most emotive part of a film in the last five years. Everything is perfect there.

Its not more emotive than the scene in Titanic, where the Irish women puts her children to bed, after she realizes that they will not be rescued.

That still ranks as the most emotional scene of any movie I have seen in the last 5 years.

My favorite que of the last 18 months is still Hedwigs theme, John's greatest piece of music in the 21st century.IMHO

Joe, whose opinion is based on fact. ROTFLMAO

Well if were talking cues:

A.I.:

Abandonned in the Woods

The search for The Blue Fairie

The Reunion

Where Dreams are Born

Harry Potter:

Harry's Wondrous World

Hedwig's theme

AOTC

Yoda and the younglings

Minority Report:

A new beginning(the only cue I like on the album).

K.M.

Easily the best cue from the last 18 months--The Bridge of Khazad-dum from LOTR, followed closely by The Great River from LOTR, as well. Confrontation With Dooku and Finale from ATOC also was an excellent cue that is real standout from Summer 2002 to me, as is The Hand of Fate Part I from Signs.

Trumpeteer, mine also used to be "The Mecha World" from A.I., then it was "A New Beginning" from MR, it's like a little of the old JW magic, the coming of pure light after a dark and shadowy score.

But a couple of months ago I bought the Fiddler on the Roof 30th anniversary DE CD, and that 90 second track of previously released JW underscore, "End of Act I" BLOWS ME AWAY... It sounds like something from the ANH, Superman, Fury, Dracula period, it's just unfortunate that the tapes were in such poor condition.

Being one of the few who haven't heard the Fury before the DE I would have to say my fav cue has been the theme from the Fury.

BUT if it has to be written in the last 18 months I'm going to have to say that Costume montage from Spiderman has been the biggest surprise to me a usually classic film score fan who has listened to that album more times then he's going to admit.

Brian99_1 - who fears he's going to turn into an Elfman junkie. :confused:

I am in total agreement with Joe on this one. I know it may seem very cliche, but my favorite Williams cue of all is the Imperial March, with the flying theme from E.T. being an extremely close second. However, unlike any other cue Williams has composed since, Hedwig's Theme has threatened to usurp the throne from the moment I heard those first few haunting notes of the celeste at the start of the trailer which played before A.I. It stuck with me more than any of the cues from that film, and at the time, I didn't even know it was composed by Williams.

Blue Fairy.

Ah, yes :baaa:

That follows close after the cues posted above, the most beautiful theme John has composed in a long time :)

And Journey to Rouge City (Promo Version) / Mecha World is great, too