10 Years of Pure Hell

Lurker

Maybe my fondest movie-going experiance was seeing The Phantom Menace for the first time. I was eight at the time, and I had become a big Star Wars fan beforehand by seeing the original trilogy. I loved it at the time, and I still think it to be underrated. Definantly better than AOTC.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly I'm staggered at the amount of posts you have gathered without saying much of interest.

That makes two of us.

I've called Neil an idiot hundreds of times.

He always agreed with me, proving he actually isn't one.

What the hell kind of idiot would do that?

I saw some of Star Wars and Empire in HD the other night. These new versions royally and completely suck. The sound mixes were terrible and the new effects stood out like a bloated neck.

Neil

Now apply what you said to 1977 and you might see were alot of us are coming from.

Of course I understand where you're coming from. I have little doubt that if I was of the generation that grew up on the original versions, I would feel exactly the same way as you do. I'm just saying that I don't, and that I can enjoy the SEs and not feel any bitterness.

I'm in complete agreement with everyone (short of LFL) in that those DVDs last year were a joke. I didn't buy them because I always make it a point not to purchase non-anamorphic DVDs. And I absolutely think there should be decent versions available to buy. But at the end of the day, I'm still content, because I have the versions I prefer to watch (lightsaber color problems aside).

The only thing I would charge GL for is giving up his perfectionism. He used to do perfect movies. Lately, however, he even agreed on releasing the movies that weren't in fact completed (temp music, blatant CGI in some places). It wasn't my childhood he had raped. On the contrary - he made it even better with his movies. No matter how dissappointing were the sequels (AotC for the most part), they playied a great part in my life and I will always be thankful to GL for it.

Yes! Thank you! That's what I've been thinking. It seems like pretty blatant hypocrisy to say that three great movies got released unfinished, but release the PT as it is. I've often felt like I'm watching unfinished movies when I see the PT. TPM is actually the most together movie in my mind, although I didn't like the poop jokes, and I didn't like the oops and "Yippee!" stuff.

There is some great CG in the PT, and there is some loathsome CG. Two of the neatest and worst shots in the PT are right by each other in ROTS: the shot of R2 accessing the diagram of the Invisible Hand was really neat, to me. Then you have the shot of a painfully CG R2 catching a communicator while painfully blue-screened in front of a painfully CG background. Tell me they were running out of time on that shot. It's shots like that that should be fixed, or better yet, here's a thought: USE A SET.

I have always enjoyed the PT, but as time goes by, I'm finding my enjoyment tempered by my acknowledgment of what's wrong with it. I still like 'em, but I become more conscious of how much better it could be.

And for everyone who hates the SEs, I highly suggest checking out originaltrilogy.com. There are some very creative people there working to make reconstructions of the OOT, and even making new and improved edits of the PT.

If [my wife] heard that somebody equated her home country to living under a rock, I'd shudder to think of their fate at her hands, knees, forearms and elbows. (Be careful, Mr. Breathmask! :lol: )

I never made that comparison. It's a figure of speech.

Can't believe I have to explain that.

You've never been around a Thai. ;) They are very loyal and patriotic to their country. One dosn't even need to make that vague of a reference and get smacked. I have bruises to prove it, haha!

I think the ( ;) ) declares that he was joking...
The force is strong in this one.
Watch out for Chrusher's legendary ability to twist your words!

I don't know what's wrong with me. I mean, when I see someone saying child molestation and murder are lesser sins than a man making three different versions of his own movie, I just go and spin those words to my advantage!

Red Rabbitt: Careful young one... Stefan's abusiveness is a way for him to make you try to be his friend... yet in truth it is a prelude to him befriending you and then betraying you. ;)

Delorean90: I agree. Since Lucas has tinkered with his OCT, he neeeds to tinker A LOT more with the PT. They always seemed unfinished to me in comparison to the OCT.

Of course I understand where you're coming from. I have little doubt that if I was of the generation that grew up on the original versions, I would feel exactly the same way as you do. I'm just saying that I don't, and that I can enjoy the SEs and not feel any bitterness.

I grew up on the original versions. I have no bitterness towards the SEs. Theyare just alternate versions of the same movies. Don't listen to these people who whine all day about them.
I'm in complete agreement with everyone (short of LFL) in that those DVDs last year were a joke. I didn't buy them because I always make it a point not to purchase non-anamorphic DVDs. And I absolutely think there should be decent versions available to buy. But at the end of the day, I'm still content, because I have the versions I prefer to watch (lightsaber color problems aside).

I didn't buy them, but I got them as a Christmas gift (the ones that came with the old graphic novel reprints). Truth be told, they didn't look too bad on my 52" HDTV even though they weren't anamorphic. The 2004 DVDs still look better though. I'm now curious about the 30th anniversary sets, and yet even more curious to the reactions of many.

I saw some of Star Wars and Empire in HD the other night. These new versions royally and completely suck. The sound mixes were terrible and the new effects stood out like a bloated neck.

Neil

Damn, I want to see it in HD, but my satellite is analog... I didn't upgrade to HD yet. Closests is the HD-Upconverting player I have. But, again, how can I trust your critique since you hate every version other than the 1977 SW and 1980 ESB? ;)

Just imagine the 2004 DVD transfers looking really, really, really, really sharp. That's what the HD looks like.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Neil

Red Rabbitt: Careful young one... Stefan's abusiveness is a way for him to make you try to be his friend... yet in truth it is a prelude to him befriending you and then betraying you. ;)

I never betrayed you Chris, I just could not be bothered with you anymore.

Well, if what Chris said was true, then you would have a hard time betraying me since I am aware that it is already going to happen.

I think. ;)

As much as I hate to say it...

Lighten up!

There's nothing new in this discussion. Some people like the SE's, many people don't. It's not a matter of intelligence or moral integrity. The fact that people will hurl meaningless insults at each other for ten years because of three freaking movies is a lot sadder than anything George Lucas has done or hasn't done.

;)

I never betrayed you Chris, I just could not be bothered with you anymore.

I dunno... a close call... but does this make Stefan a hypocrite? Also, is he the famous Kansas City Worldskipper, Conrad? :)

Red Rabbit: Do listen to reason... I beg of you! Stefan is evil! Think about it... has ever his humor ever been free from rudeness and/or crudeness? A sign of evil-ness, I believe! :flameblob:

Neil: But I personally don't mind the 2004 transfers. They look different from the orginals, but not 100% better or 100% worse. That's a taste issue. Sure, the color is obviously sweetened in parts, but at least they are crisp and clean. In comparison, the originals are grainy and have far more visable flaws and artifacts in comparison, so each has strengths and weaknesses. I don't hate any edit of a Star Wars movie - theatrical or re-edited, and I can personally pick strengths and weaknesses from each edition. So, I'd have to see them for myself before I can rate them as garbage or not. I still find it hard to believe that it has put you in a hell for 10 years... rather I believe you guys are trolling for arguments. Right? :beerchug:

Lighten up!

There's nothing new in this discussion. Some people like the SE's, many people don't. It's not a matter of intelligence or moral integrity. The fact that people will hurl meaningless insults at each other for ten years because of three freaking movies is a lot sadder than anything George Lucas has done or hasn't done.

Agreed 100%. I've been saying things like that on this board for years. Everybody has an opinion, why bash?