Nothing for John Williams 75th?

Ollie

It appears Williams 75th will pass with nothing in the way of a special CD or boxed set celebrating the event.

Granted it might be hard for a boxed set similar to Goldsmith's because of the volume of work he did compared to Williams.

I know FSM has another boxed set in the works and something for Williams but I believe Lucas said it wasn't related to his 75th birthday.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears Williams 75th will pass with nothing in the way of a special CD or boxed set celebrating the event.

Well, how would we know there is? After all, Varese does not give out hints about the club CDs but I am pretty damn sure that they have something in the works. I don't know anything specific, just call it a hunch.

And let's not forget that Intrada is going to release The Mission, a fabulous score that in itself is a celebration of williams talent even though it is only a short tv score.

Ford A. Thaxton recently reveiled hints about a 70 score from one of his most favourite composers (note that Williams is in fact Ford's most favourite composer) being released on prometheus records. There is speculation that this score will actually be family plot but nothing is certain at this time.

I believe there will be a couple of things coming up. Maybe no big box sets but certainly things a williams fan will treasure.

Was the Goldsmith box out in time for his birthday?

Wasn't it a year-long celebration of Goldsmith's birthday that sadly turned into a memorial in the summer after he died?

I think some people took that year long statement out of context. They were expecting more and I don't think Varese meant that. And it was in celebration of his 75th B-day.

Oh I know there will there will be Amazing Stories III, but it was originally scheduled for 2006 but the search for the missing elements to Family Dog pushed it back. I believe it's now scheduled for March or April, according to Roger Fiegelson's post over at Intrada.

Personally I'll be happy with whatever FSM releases concerning Williams.

Ford A. Thaxton recently reveiled hints about a 70 score from one of his most favourite composers (note that Williams is in fact Ford's most favourite composer) being released on prometheus records. There is speculation that this score will actually be family plot but nothing is certain at this time.

Has Prometheus ever released a Williams score? Or Ford A Thaxton for that matter?

Has Prometheus ever released a Williams score? Or Ford A Thaxton for that matter?

Unless you count the Star Wars anthology, I don't think so. I haven't come across his name on any JW CD's I've seen.

He's produced some albums for them.

I believe it was posted at FSM that it wasn't Ford's fault that certain takes were used.

What's the point in "Two pieces from AA"? They can be heard in the published form on the original album.

Alternative recordings are nice, sure, but they should rather release something not yet available (Horn concerto, anyone?)

-Chris, who thinks it's also time that HL releases Signature editions of the violin and cello concerti.

What's the point in "Two pieces from AA"? They can be heard in the published form on the original album.

Alternative recordings are nice, sure, but they should rather release something not yet available (Horn concerto, anyone?)

-Chris, who thinks it's also time that HL releases Signature editions of the violin and cello concerti.

Actually I think they aren't exactly the same thing... but I might be wrong.

And since one's wondering... What about Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops recording Soundings?

Miguel, who just saw the other day a live recording of Rite of Spring taken from the opening Disney Hall concerts...

I would appreciate it really if they would release a Williams score that has been in much demand this year, such as Indiana Jones for instance. I really appreciate the early Williams scores; but once in a while, after so many years, it would be great to check one of the great unreleased ones from the list. Seems only Goldsmith fans get all the goodies all the time.

Problem is that these goodies you are refering to (such as Indy) belong to studios that usually don't deal. I think a re-issue of indy is very unrealistic this year, especially now that indy 4 is on the way. The indy scores will receive re-issues by the time the new movie hits theatres at the earliest.

And i dont really get what you mean by "unreleased". There is hardly a williams score from the late 70's onwards that hasn't already received a CD release. The only thing that could still be done with these things are (expanded) re-issues but there are no premiere releases anymore. I believe thats what you meant?

And i dont really get what you mean by "unreleased". There is hardly a williams score from the late 70's onwards that hasn't already received a CD release. The only thing that could still be done with these things are (expanded) re-issues but there are no premiere releases anymore. I believe thats what you meant?

From 1970 onwards, the following scores have no more than one or two tracks legitimately available on CD:

Story of a Woman

Pete 'n' Tillie

Images

Cinderella Libery

The Sugarland Express

Conrack

Family Plot

Midway

Black Sunday

Dracula (film recording)

Monsignor

So there's quite a bit - any of those would count as unreleased.

Don't forget Goldsmith has scored more films than Williams so it would make sense that there is more material to release.

I said late 70's onward which is still post-star wars to me and from that peroid almost everything got released by now. The ones you listed belong to no-deal companies and in the case of sugarland express wiliams himself does not want it to be released.

If we would get something like Family Plot this year that would already be an achievement beyond imagination.

Don't forget Goldsmith has scored more films than Williams so it would make sense that there is more material to release.

Good point, and not only does goldsmith have more movies under his belt but his work also spans much more studios. Williams was from the late 70 onwards mainly active for universal. Only occasionally there is a warner title or a columbia/sony one and hardly one from fox or mgm and these are the only open companies so far.

From 1970 onwards, the following scores have no more than one or two tracks legitimately available on CD:

Midway

isnt a re-recording legit enough?...

Just hope all the unreleased williams scores had complete re-recordings...

Midway

isnt a re-recording legit enough?...

Sorry, I meant to say original tracks.

It is on a case to case basis.In this one I believe the re-recording is enough.It was by the RSNO and of good quality.Plus the underscore is nothing special for a Williams score,there is no iconic track which we absolutely need to hear the original version,EXCEPT the extended Men of Yorktown ,which we have.

No, there is big difference in tempo between the RSO and original tracks and there is some good material in there.

Frankly if they are available I would like a release of the original tracks.

Story of a Woman

Pete 'n' Tillie

Images

Cinderella Libery

The Sugarland Express

Conrack

Family Plot

Midway

Black Sunday

Dracula (film recording)

Monsignor

Story of a Woman had the song released on an Ornela Vanoni compilation released in the mid 90's. Really hard to find.

Only the Carol Burnett recording of the song version of the theme from Pete'n'Tilie as been released, a year or so ago, on the Collector's Choice label.

From Cinderella Liberty, there are a dozen or more cover recordings of the main theme (one of the most often Williams theme recorded!), by some great performers. Of the actual score (on film or from the LP), none as ever been released on CD.

Conrack only have some 10 or few more minutes of music, and only the one relesed by FSM is available. The rest is sadly lost.

Family Plot had the end titles original recording released in the late 90's. I think the CD is still in print.

One of the Midway trakcs (the March from Midway) is easely available on the international releses of Filmworks. As for the Men of Yorktown March, that was only available on the very ahrd to find japanese release from 1993.

Was the Goldsmith box out in time for his birthday?

Yes, Feb 10, according to the topic on this board.

I did not know they made a box set for Jerry Goldsmith. Can I find it on any websites? I think they should do the same for John Williams.

I did not know they made a box set for Jerry Goldsmith. Can I find it on any websites? I think they should do the same for John Williams.

It's out of print, so you'll have to look on eBay. Here's the official site:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...VCL-0204-1028-2

Yep.

I've been tempted to track some of the auctions of limited scores that eBay horders snatch up and sell at ridiculous prices. I just want to see if they actually move them because there are couple of sellers who really go overboard and the prices.

I think the price has been coming down on the JG boxed set.