Favorite score of summer 2002?

ST-321

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attack of the Clones followed closely by Spiderman

I'm looking forward to what the fall brings: Red Dragon, Die Another Day, Harry Potter2, Star Trek Nemesis, and probably something I'm forgetting.

I wish I could say I had one, but I don't.

Neither JW effort captured my fancy,

but I do have a favorite que from this summer.

Confrontation with Count Dooku.

Wonderful last 2 minutes. Ominous.

IMHO the best score of Summer 2002 was Signs from James Newton Howard. I loved Minority Report as well as ATOC, and Spiderman was Elfman at the top of his game, but Signs to me was just better than all 3 of them.

Attack of the Clones followed closely by Spiderman

I'm looking forward to what the fall brings: Red Dragon, Die Another Day, Harry Potter2, Star Trek Nemesis, and probably something I'm forgetting.

YES, you FORGOT something... ROTFLMAO

May a fierce orc bite you in the @$$

;)

Can I say none?

No score this summer really blew me away. However, I guess I would go with Road to Perdition.

All I know is BIG JOHN REALLY DROPPED THE BALL this summer with AOTC and Minority Report.

Not bad scores but not worthy of JW's greatness by ANY means. :cry:

Signs  

Was there actually competiton?  :baaa:

Yeah: "Road to Perdition." Those two are the best scores of the year, givig their films so much more than visuals could do (which is saying a lot for "Road").

But I have found myself listening only to tracks 1-4 and 12 of "Signs" lately. Without the images, most of the score gets too repetitive on CD. Or maybe I'm just going through "Signs" overload.

Its too bad Williams had to score Minority Report with such lack of theme.  

I mean OK I agree it was not going to be a "Indy like" score but was it neccesary to go so ATONAL???

It had theme. Just not extremely leitmotif based. And you sound like no theme = bad music.

Definately AOC

Luke, for once and for all, it's AOTC, not AOC.

For the old trilogy the last 2 films are also very frequently called TESB and ROTJ.

Stefancos- :ola:

I dont mind. :D I'm the fan here, aren't I?

Its too bad Williams had to score Minority Report with such lack of theme.  

I mean OK I agree it was not going to be a "Indy like" score but was it neccesary to go so ATONAL???

It had theme. Just not extremely leitmotif based. And you sound like no theme = bad music.

It's true that the score was highly thematic.

AOTC is first for me, then followed closely by Minority Report (I happen to like ALL the themes) and I really enjoy Spider-Man as well. I liked Signs as heard in the film, but I haven't listened to it other than that one time, so I can't really judge.

Ray Barnsbury

Let Master Skywalker call the movie what he wants. Its not like its set in stone what the film must be abbreviated as.

Anyway I hope Johnny does a better job with Episode III.

By SW soundtrack standards the AOTC soundtrack (at least the current one) is "Teh SUX0RS" as the 12 years olds say nowadays. ROTFLMAO

AOTC, definitely. Probably my favorite score in recent years. Nothing's really impressed me lately. Although I too hope that Williams does better with Episode III. EVERYONE involved needs to pull out all the stops.

I found Spiderman to be VERY typical.

AOTC for me, the best score from Williams in the past 5 years.

And I love the themes form Minority Report, specially Sean's theme.

eek2

YOU THINK THAT SCORE IS THE BEST SCORE FROM WILLIAMS SINCE 1997???

Jesus!!!

There are truly all kinds of people.

I feel it might be one of his weakest in thatr frame.

AOTC for me, the best score from Williams in the past 5 years.

And I love the themes form Minority Report, specially Sean's theme.

AOTC is indeed Williams's best score over the past five years...right behind Rosewood, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Seven Years in Tibet, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Stepmom, TPM, Angela's Ashes, A.I., and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

It's called opinion.

let me spell it for you: O-P-I-N-I-O-N.

What's wrong in liking AOTC over those scores? And his second best score in the last 5 years was TPM, IMHO.

All those scores were great...all of them, for me.

But AOTC grabbed me..what can I say?

It's called opinion.

let me spell it for you: O-P-I-N-I-O-N.

What's wrong in liking AOTC over those scores? And his second best score in the last 5 years was TPM, IMHO.

All those scores were great...all of them, for me.

But AOTC grabbed me..what can I say?

Let me try... Y-O-U-R O-P-I-N-I-O-N S-U-C-K-S

Moron!

j/k -- (this'd be a great candidate for a Ryan Keaveney post...right, Morn?)

Seriously, it wasn't my intention for my last post to come down so hard on your opinion...if it sounded that way, I'm sorry.

There's indeed nothing wrong with liking AOTC over these scores or even thinking it's compositionally superior.

I was just surpsied is all Merkel. Not making it personal or anything.

AOTC is indeed Williams's best score over the past five years...right behind Rosewood, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Seven Years in Tibet, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Stepmom, TPM, Angela's Ashes, A.I., and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

My thoughts exactly!! :)

1. AOTC

2. Signs

3. Minority Report

4. Road to Perdition

I can't even think of a 5th one right now. Spiderman (the film) was great, but the score bored me big time and it was way too loud all the time. I love Elfman, but that was not my cup of tea. It needed to be way less dark and a lot more playful. Spiderman is NOT Batman and it sounded that dark at times. I'm not saying it was crap, to many people it was great, but to me, I think it was a cmplete let down. Maybe this is the style he is evolving to and that's great.... I expect him to be a lot more inventive and mature though.