Recommended classical cello pieces

Pelzter

Can anyone here recommend me some classical cello pieces / concertos? I'm particularly looking for warm, lush pieces, in the flavour of Williams' own Cello Concerto (The "Song" movement in particular)?

--Pelzter, whose favorite instrument is the cello

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone here recommend me some classical cello pieces / concertos? I'm particularly looking for warm, lush pieces, in the flavour of Williams' own Cello Concerto (The "Song" movement in particular)?

--Pelzter, whose favorite instrument is the cello

William Walton has composed a wonderful Cello Concerto, very spectacular, the 2 Shostakovitch are wonderful as well !!!

Not really classical, but Williams own American Collection Theme is a lovely work.

When it comes to classical, well it's hard to beat Elgar's Cello Concerto.

- Tim.

humm...well, while not a concerto, Richard Strauss features the cello prominently in his "Don Quixote" tone poem. The usage of solo cello as Quixote himself has wonderful moments. Definately worth a listen. The Phildephia orchestra premiered Carnigie hall a year or so ago with Yo-Yo Ma on cello, a wonderful performance indeed.

~JW

I would recommend giving Samuel Barber's cello concerto a listen... it's a great work, and the second movement definitely fits your need for lush, romantic music :rolleyes:

-Chris, Barber advocate wherever he goes, against all odds

I'd never even heard of that American Collection Theme. I just bought it on iTunes, and it's breaking my heart it's so beautiful! What was this theme for? Why have I never heard it before?

Are you a fan of Barber's Adagio for Strings, Mr. Afonso?

Who isn't? :rolleyes: It's amazingly beautiful and of such genial thematic simplicity that is in thsi quality hard to match by anyone. the only thing annoying about it is that Barber is generally reduced to the "Adagio" in public perception, and hardly anyone I talk to knows any of his other stuff. That's where I come in, giving CDs of his cello concerto to cellists I know, CDs of his piano works to pianists etc. ... hopefully someday it'll pay off :P

I'd never even heard of that American Collection Theme. I just bought it on iTunes, and it's breaking my heart it's so beautiful! What was this theme for? Why have I never heard it before?

Yes isn't it wonderful! :rolleyes: So underrated! I think it was written for a US TV show.

- Tim.

The title of the program is "Masterpiece Theatre's American Collection", which is basically the same set-up as the normal Masterpiece Theatre show, but this centers on works by American writers (obviously). The show started back in 2000.

Here is some additional information.

Tim