Where did the Imperial March come from?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they decided they needed a specific theme for Vader (it is called "The Imperial March - Darth Vader's Theme" after all), rather than the general "empire" theme from the first film.

i think williams, after seeing that esb was being called ep v, and se was going to be labeled IV, said, mmm i have to make a theme fir vader before he becomes vader, and then create a theme for vader in esb, derivated from it....

Since Vader & Empire had a stronger presence in the film I would imagine it was discussed during the spotting of the film about coming up with a theme to represent them.

Since Vader & Empire had a stronger presence in the film I would imagine it was discussed during the spotting of the film about coming up with a theme to represent them.

I think JW was so close to stating this theme in the opening of a new hope, and that big brass fanfare for the rebel blockade runner thingy. the empire theme i had always thought was a derivative of this statement.

Exactly.

Although wouldn't it be more likely he would have had this discussion with Kershner than with Lucas?

I can't remember the post-production on ESB anymore. Was Kershner heavily involved, or did Lucas take over by that time?

Lucas didn't completely take over. I know, because he viewed an early cut (not his version), and didn't like it, so did his own cut - which everyone hated. The finished film is more based around the non-Lucas cut, or so I've heard.

Lucas didn't completely take over. I know, because he viewed an early cut (not his version), and didn't like it, so did his own cut - which everyone hated.

Wow. Where'd you hear that?

And what about that ESB scoring doc, with keshner, lucas, kurtz and williams discussing the movie without anymusic?

That could easily have been a day Lucas strategically decide to show his face. He hears that the BBC is doing a doc, and is saying to himself 'I gots to be there, else they might think that this Kirshner dude actually did something creative in the film'. I haven't a clue where the truth lies, no do I give a damn, but I don't think that doc is any proof of anything.

The Imperial March is actually a variation on Mendelssohn's "Wedding March".

Of course it did. All educated people agree on that.

The story was that Doyle was recovering and had actually written a score. Williams attended a screening, liked the film and was hired by Columbus.

Nowhere do I recall Williams asking to score the film which leads me to believe that Doyle's score wasn't any good to start with or Columbus wanted Williams all along and this was his excuse to get him.

Are you sure you got the right thread, Mark? :)

I do believe Lucas wasn't too happy with Kershner's version. I know he made some changes/edits but I'm not sure how much.

Thats actually kind of funny considering how good Empire was. One can't help but wonder how it might have turned out had Lucas directed it.

It was probably as simple as Williams running the film and seeing that Vader was very prominent and had become a homicidal maniac, so he thought he needed a more obvious theme that would anchor the score. Plus it was called "The Empire Strikes Back," so it seems logical that the Empire/Vader would have a new theme.

I'm in the camp that would believe Lucas told Williams that they need a theme for the Empire and, more specifically, Vader. I'm sure that the two of them, with the director, sat down and had a detailed spotting session, and the topic of themes probably came up naturally through those intial discussions. It's doubtful that Williams just went away and wrote these themes without consulting the director and producer (especially Lucas). He knew exactly what he needed beforehand, and then composed the themes accordingly.

Tim

I think John Williams said this after he viewed the movie without music and came back to George to say, "Hey George listen to what I just came up with for the new ESB movie. I think it will make a great theme for Vader." I could be wrong though.

Did Lucas tell JW, "we need a new, more powerful theme for the empire."

OR

Did JW tell Lucas, "hey George, check out this new theme I came up with. Can we use it as a new theme for the empire?"

Wasn't this basically answered in the liner notes from the 1980 LP? Or is old age setting in on me. I can't seem to find mine now, but someone here has it, yes?

Did Lucas tell JW, "we need a new, more powerful theme for the empire."

OR

Did JW tell Lucas, "hey George, check out this new theme I came up with. Can we use it as a new theme for the empire?"

Wasn't this basically answered in the liner notes from the 1980 LP? Or is old age setting in on me. I can't seem to find mine now, but someone here has it, yes?

Click.

The almighty one has once again provided the info.

Saved me from going thru boxes to find the LP.

On a serious note I could have sworn there was an interview with Williams in the LP notes. I know Star Wars had one.

Also the cues have an error in their descriptions on LP 1 side 1. Tracks 1 & 4, the second half of track 4 is actually the MF's escape from Hoth, the second half of track 1 contains the escape from the slug.

It still doesn't answer the question originally asked though.