Interview about upcoming San Diego performance

MovieMusicMaestro

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....

1)He is still working on the piano composing every day....

2)He is composing a viola concerto

3)He is set to score Indiana Jones 4 and Lincoln,but doesn't mention any movies for this year...

K.M.

He is composing a viola concerto

This is wonderful, exciting news! At least for me... :happybday:

He is set to score Indiana Jones 4 and Lincoln,but doesn't mention any movies for this year...

Well, he says pretty clearly during the interview that “At my stage, I'm less interested in the project or subject than in who I'm going to be working with,”. So let it be, I say. He doesn't need to waste his time, energy and art scoring crappy blockbusters or forgettable pictures, he'll let the younger composers to do all that. Let's hope some good director other than Spielberg will ask him to score a movie.

I'm excited about the viola concerto because I play the viola.

The viola is the greatest instrument ever created!!! :unsure:

As reported by Ricard in the main page, John Williams is currently working on the viola concerto. You can read the full article here.

This is what many of us were expecting (the viola concerto or maybe the opera) for 2007. Really great news that will shut many skeptical mouths, as Williams states he can't stop writing something everyday.

Based on his comments you could read between the lines, with the exception of Spielberg he probably won't be scoring alot of films.

Quick, someone write a book about trees!

:unsure:

Anyway, I don't assume he'll be doing anything but spielburg films from now on. I don't think he puts in as much time for other directors, but he seems to love doing spielburg films. What wonderful news about the viola Concerto. I wonder if it's for Michael Kugel. Roberto Diaz is also pretty well known. My bets are on one of those two.

~JW

Remember people, we're talking here about a man who liked Stepmom to a degree that he got a person suffering from Lukemia fired off of it.....when a person is that passionate about something like Stepmom, god knows what will interest him.

“At my stage, I'm less interested in the project or subject than in who I'm going to be working with,” he said.

Read: Expect more run of the mill auto-pilot. Great auto-pilot, but auto-pilot none the less.

Well a viola concerto.,,great,except we probably won't get to hear it unless it's released on c.d. in several years or someone makes a crappy bootleg recording at whatever concert he's going to play it.

:-D yay!!! Now maybe I can actually use something he's written for when I perform at church... everything else it too well known (funny how that's a big thing.)

For Always works well for weddings though...

yay lol

Just read the article. Great news. I would be very interested about how he approached this concert work. Each concerto seems to be very different in manner and style, and I can't wait to hear the Viola Concerto. Though it wasn't specific as to when he will premiere it.

Tim

Let's face it, at 75 Williams has reached the stage of his life where he should do anything he wants musically. He must be asking himself what he'd like to explore while he is still able, be it composing for the concert hall or conducting certain orchestras, etc. He might also want to make time for family and friends and traveling, you know, all those things that he won't be doing decades from now when the world is still remembering the music from Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Close Encounters, Raiders, E.T., Home Alone, Schindler's List, etc. Selfishly, yeah, I'd love 4 film scores a year like we got in 2005, but after 50 years in Hollywood maybe the guy finally wants to have a life. In the meantime I think maybe if he picks and chooses the scores he wants to do the quality might make up for the quantity.

Finally some good news. On the other hand, I hope the new concerto will be more approachable than his violin concerto, since the latter I hardly find enjoyable (too difficult for me).

Remember people, we're talking here about a man who liked Stepmom to a degree that he got a person suffering from Lukemia fired off of it.....when a person is that passionate about something like Stepmom, god knows what will interest him.

Let's remember that this is nothing more then a rumor.

I would think that Doyle's lukemia would be more then enough reason for him not to be able to work.

The story was that Doyle was recovering and had actually written a score. Williams attended a screening, liked the film and was hired by Columbus.

Nowhere do I recall Williams asking to score the film which leads me to believe that Doyle's score wasn't any good to start with or Columbus wanted Williams all along and this was his excuse to get him.

Well a viola concerto.,,great,except we probably won't get to hear it unless it's released on c.d. in several years or someone makes a crappy bootleg recording at whatever concert he's going to play it.

If you're referring to the Horn Concerto, I've said several times over the last few weeks I've got a good recording of it. If anyone wants it... PM me.

Let's remember that this is nothing more then a rumor.

I would think that Doyle's lukemia would be more then enough reason for him not to be able to work.

The story was that Doyle was recovering and had actually written a score. Williams attended a screening, liked the film and was hired by Columbus.

Nowhere do I recall Williams asking to score the film which leads me to believe that Doyle's score wasn't any good to start with or Columbus wanted Williams all along and this was his excuse to get him.

All we have to go on is rumors, but I frankly have a hard time believing that Doyle's score was rejection worthy, and in none of the stories did I hear indication that Doyle left on his own accord. It seems likely to me that Messrs. Gorfaine or Schwartz heard JW liked the film, and used their pull to get him the gig, or that Columbus got wind that JW liked the film, and tripped over himself trying to get him the job.

It is also possible that JW told Columbus 'lose the sick guy, or I'll never work with you again', but I find that rather less likely.

Either way, I sense foul play is afoot. Williams was a hot ticket back then, as he's been for a long time, and this was a time when there was a chance that he might do something not by Spielberg or Lucas.

Well- it involves a coconut, a baton, a big German WWI helmet, 3 llamas, and a painting of Eleanor Roosevelt.

Eleanor as she was in WWI or the WWII Eleanor? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Fans of Williams' serious work, by now should have discovered that Williams always writes in the same vain (even when he doesn't write concertos). The Viola Concerto should hold very little surprises and you know it. That being said, I'm the first one to buy this CD.

Alex