Hollywood Bowl 2007!

Melisande

Save the date: JW's annual Hollywood Bowl concerts will be on July 13 & 14 this year (earlier than usual!).

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tix/performan...ail.cfm?id=3228

Non-subscriber tickets probably won't be available for a while (May, I think), though...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very exciting. Hollywood Bowl last year was probably the highlight of my whole year and this time I wont have to miss any classes to go! I strongly recommend this event to anyone in the area, it is a real treat.

How does the music sound at the Hollywood Bowl????

It's decent, but it is a very large open-air ampitheater, and you do get the occasional helicopter or car alarm. You don't go to the Bowl expecting an intimate performance, but the total experience can't be beat. :)

• 2 months later...

I need help I want to go for john williams concert on July 14. Probably this would be my fisrt concert so I have a lot of doubts:

1) Where is the best place to see the concert?

2) When it will be available the program will be play?

3) Do you know a hotel with average price for US$ 75-99 near hollywood bowl ?

4) How do i buy a single ticket?

Thanks

P.D I live in Mexico

• 2 months later...

The concert is two weeks away. I've got my ticket!

Who else is going?

Should we have a JWFan meeting?

Does the Hollywood Bowl have a place for drooling fanboys, er, fanmen, to hound the conductor for an auotgraph and a picture?

The program suggests these JW pieces will be performed:

"Can You Read My Mind" (instrumental)

"Catch Me If You Can" suite, including the opening titles!

Harry Potter: "Chamber of Secrets," "Aunt Marge's Waltz" and "Harry's Wondrous World" (I'd prefer "Hedwig's Theme" but I won't complain!)

"Throne Room and Finale" from "Star Wars" (duh)

Expecting an encore or two, and "Indiana Jones" is a sure bet, as is "ET."

I'm seriously getting verklempt at the thought. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. "The Prince of Tides" was neither about princes nor tides. Discuss.

The concert is two weeks away. I've got my ticket!

One week, surely?

Who else is going?

Me!

Does the Hollywood Bowl have a place for drooling fanboys, er, fanmen, to hound the conductor for an auotgraph and a picture?

Yes, but the chances of acquiring an autograph after the concert are virtually non-existent.

The program suggests these JW pieces will be performed:

"Can You Read My Mind" (instrumental)

"Catch Me If You Can" suite, including the opening titles!

Harry Potter: "Chamber of Secrets," "Aunt Marge's Waltz" and "Harry's Wondrous World" (I'd prefer "Hedwig's Theme" but I won't complain!)

"Throne Room and Finale" from "Star Wars" (duh)

Expecting an encore or two, and "Indiana Jones" is a sure bet, as is "ET."

The best place to get the final concert program and an autograph will be at the rehearsal on Friday.

Who else is going?

I'll be there on Friday! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

You know he MUST perform Star Wars, considering the 30th anniversary and all.

Whoa...

I haven't posted here in a long, long time.

I'll be going, of course. I'll be with a big group, but it might be fun to have a beer with other JWfan peeps. Anyone interested?

Someone here was asking about getting an autograph. Years ago, I actually did get JWs autograph at the Bowl. It was my one and only encounter with him. I made a big, long post about my experience on this site... not sure if it's archived. Bottom line is that he won't want to stop and his handlers will do everything to prevent it. Go BEHIND the artists entrance/exit... basically, directly behind the actual bowl. Everyone else will be waiting at the artist entrance on stage left. They'll shuttle him to his car in the underground parking lot, but he'll have to take the elevator/stairs. So, you can at least see him... I yelled to him through the lattice, he wasn't going to stop but I said, "I'm a big fan of yours"... for some reason he stopped and signed my ET soundtrack CD cover throught the lattice. I was the only one standing at that location. His driver was completely poo-pooing me, but JW stopped on his own. It was great.

Well, at least here's one character we won't have to deal with outside the H&H parking structure:

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index....=rss_topstories

I'd seen the Marilyn and Batman before, but not Chewie. Times must be hard for Peter Mayhew...

Keep an eye out for some guy with a puppet that always sits outside the Hollywood Bowl. I just want to know if anybody else always notices him.

Keep an eye out for some guy with a puppet that always sits outside the Hollywood Bowl. I just want to know if anybody else always notices him.

He was there, attempting to be operatic.

Program list for Friday.

1) Star spangled Banner

2) Ben-hur

3) March from Robin Hood

4) Scene of Love from Vertigo

5)Gone with the wind

6) Doctor Zhivago (with film scenes for us to see), Lawrence of Arabia (with film)

7) Now Voyager

Intermission

8) March from Superman, Love theme from Superman

9) Catch me if you can: Closing in, ? , Credits,

10) Harry Potter Themes: Chamber of Secrets, Aunt Marge's Waltz, Harry's wonderous world

11) Throne Room and Finale

He played 4 encores.

Extra 1: Imperial March- some people brought lightsabers and were flicking them to the beat.

Extra 2: Memories of a geisha:

Extra 3: ET

Extra 4: Indiana Jones Raider's March.

Unfortunately, I was sitting on a bench (which squeaked a lot) next to 3 yapping harpies and 2 drunks, and they were talking a lot in the second half. and some people dropped their fucking wine glasses onto the floor with a loud crash.

I ended picking up their conversations and the crash on my microphone.

It was not a good day for me. The music itself was lovely.

2) Ben-hur

3) March from Robin Hood

5)Gone with the wind

6) Doctor Zhivago (with film scenes for us to see), Lawrence of Arabia (with film)

7) Now Voyager

Why can't he play something more current?

2) Ben-hur

3) March from Robin Hood

5)Gone with the wind

7) Now Voyager

Why can't he play something more current?

i doubt Williams would conduct "Selections fro Pirates of the Carribean

Program list for Friday.

1) Star spangled Banner

2) Ben-hur

3) March from Robin Hood

5)Gone with the wind

7) Now Voyager

Intermission

8) March from Superman, Love theme from Superman

9) Catch me if you can: Closing in, ? , Credits,

10) Harry Potter Themes: Chamber of Secrets, Aunt Marge's Waltz, Harry's wonderous world

11) Throne Room and Finale

He played 4 encores.

Extra 1: Imperial March- some people brought lightsabers and were flicking them to the beat.

Extra 3: ET

Extra 4: Indiana Jones Raider's March.

Unfortunately, I was sitting on a bench (which squeaked a lot) next to 3 yapping harpies and 2 drunks, and they were talking a lot in the second half. and some people dropped their fucking wine glasses onto the floor with a loud crash.

I ended picking up their conversations and the crash on my microphone.

It was not a good day for me. The music itself was lovely.

I was there also, and I agree with you about the audience. I, too, sat two rows behind about four 20-something drunk douchebags. One of them, during the "Throne Room" piece, yelled full blast "Use the Force, Luke!" He is now forever a part of my recording as well. And somebody else dropped their glass... you and I might have been sitting near each other.

The lightsabers didn't bother me, I've gotten to accept it. It was kiind of cool that this little kid nearby lit his saber up after the first two notes of the "Throne Room," knowing it was from Star Wars. I thought, "Man, this thing's never gonna fade away."

The only oddball part, the part that I could've lived without, was "Catch Me If You Can," which went on WAY too long.

For everyone there, I would like to know if it was just me, or did Williams seem to be either under the weather or maybe showing his age when he spoke? He was speaking more slowly than last year, seemed often to stop and look down, as if trying to get back his train of thought. He seemed almost to not be able to recall the identity of the director of Memoirs of a Geisha. Then again, I noticed that he often pulled out his hanky and wiped his face a few times. Then again, it was hot.

Then again, maybe I'm worrying too much.

Anyways, I enjoyed the old stuff, and yes, the guy with the dirty puppet was there, and if you walked under the tunnel, this withered street guy with a sax was playing his own soft jazz version of the Star Wars theme. And if you continued down Highland, there was this girl with a VERY underage little girl accompanying her as she sang and played guitar on the sidewalk. Wouldn't have been so disturbing, had I not seen them a few hours before, singing "Sweet Home Alabama" in front of the Chinese Theatre. Ah, the Hollywood Bowl!

And yes, he whipped out Vertigo!

As soon as that was over, one of my friends blurted out, "Always a crowd pleaser" which had me laughing (and biting my cheeks) all throughout E.T. Geisha is not a good encore.

Neil

Williams always seems to have a bit of a cold. I remember watching Evening At Pops, Holiday at Pops, and Pops Goes the Fourth, and seeing him with a tissue. As for his speaking manner, I didn't notice anything unusual. He usually speaks like that after conducting a number of pieces. I imagine it can be a bit exhausting.

Williams always seems to have a bit of a cold. I remember watching Evening At Pops, Holiday at Pops, and Pops Goes the Fourth, and seeing him with a tissue. As for his speaking manner, I didn't notice anything unusual. He usually speaks like that after conducting a number of pieces. I imagine it can be a bit exhausting.

I hope that's all it was. I guess, after Goldsmith, I keep expecting "it," if you know what I mean (I refuse to speak the word).

I can die now.

John Williams conducted "The Imperial March" and the last two minutes of "ET" for me. The only thing that could have topped it would have been to get his autograph. I had to get on the shuttle bus right after the show, but I stalked out the exits for about 20 minutes, and a lot of people came out of the VIP room, but not JW.

In any case, I had a pretty good seat, but I think the enormousness of the venue took away from my excitement. Not as intimate as Boston Symphony Hall.

Of all the performances, besides the two above, I enjoyed "Now, Voyager" and the "Catch Me If You Can" suite. How cool to see Dan Higgins play sax! And the orchestra really does snap during the main titles! I snapped along and the woman next to me, who clapped maybe once during the concert (after humming all of "Gone With the Wind"), asked me if I knew the score to CMIYC by heart. I told her "Not as much as about 10 other scores he's written." She giggled.

I was excited to hear cheering during the "ET" and "Indiana Jones" encores before the themes kicked in. A lady who sat next to me on the shuttle bus was not aware he wrote the "Star Wars" music. But she said she's going to rent a lot of his movies, especially "Memoirs of a Geisha."

artyjeffrey: What gear did you use to make your recording? an Ipod?

I sat on the opposite section. The very left side of the Bowl, but much closer.

I tried to sit as close as possible so I could make a good boot. A lot of good it did me because I was next to those idiots.

I heard CMIYC at the July 1st concert (california philharmonic w/o JW) too.

The July 1st concert was at the Walt Disney Hall, and the hall was a lot smaller than I imagined. The people in the concert hall were so polite and quiet.

There must be something different about the way people act in open-air bowls and closed concert halls.

I do agree that CMIYC was the weakest part of the concert.

Personally, I like the "The Terminal" score a lot more and that would have nicer to hear instead of getting another repeat of CMIYC.

I saw the saxophone player outside playing the jazzy Star Wars theme too, but he wasn't playing that well.

I saw some people selling lightsabers outside the Bowl too.

artyjeffrey: What gear did you use to make your recording? an Ipod?

I sat on the opposite section. The very left side of the Bowl, but much closer.

I tried to sit as close as possible so I could make a good boot. A lot of good it did me because I was next to those idiots.

I heard CMIYC at the July 1st concert (california philharmonic w/o JW) too.

The July 1st concert was at the Walt Disney Hall, and the hall was a lot smaller than I imagined. The people in the concert hall were so polite and quiet.

There must be something different about the way people act in open-air bowls and closed concert halls.

I do agree that CMIYC was the weakest part of the concert.

Personally, I like the "The Terminal" score a lot more and that would have nicer to hear instead of getting another repeat of CMIYC.

I saw the saxophone player outside playing the jazzy Star Wars theme too, but he wasn't playing that well.

I saw some people selling lightsabers outside the Bowl too.

I was using my Olympus WS-300M. Unfortunately, I didn't have a mic plugged in, but at least it did record in stereo. Not as good as some of the boots I've heard from the Bowl, but decent enough. Aside from the guy screaming "Use the Force, Luke!" I was able to edit out the lousy glasses crashing, people (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) knocking back a cup of crushed ice every now and then, and one EXTREME BOZO who kept semi-whisper/whistling the tunes!! Yes, people behave pretty lousy in the Bowl. The first time I went, I got lucky and there were no drunks in the near vicinity. But the last time there were people (once again, BELIEVE IT OR NOT) actually ramming their paws into very CRINKLY bags of potato chips during the performance!!!! Sickening. I'm actually contemplating seeing JW in an altogether more "civilized" venue. People are just too ill-mannered. THIS is what non-Americans refer to when speaking negatively about us.

Regarding "The Terminal," yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Just arrived back home in Wales, UK. What a fantastic way to end a five week trip on the west coast that was! I had a good seat both nights and what an atmosphere! I will never forget it. I got a lot on video too. Anyone catch it on Friday when that guy shouted out "we love you Johnny!!" and Williams went all embarrassed? Anyone else from Europe there?

Anyone catch it on Friday when that guy shouted out "we love you Johnny!!" and Williams went all embarrassed? Anyone else from Europe there?

Yeah, I was there on Friday, but I'm just from California. Every year, somebody always screams that out loud, and he sighs and says "Uh, thank you." Did you notice also how he "faked out" the audience for a moment, pretending to begin the piece, and then suddenly stopped and turned around to face the audience, as if to say, "Anymore requests?"