Who is the pianist in E.T.?

Beowulf

I don't think no ones know. Sometimes they put a list of people saying who plays the instruments on a OST Album...but not always. Look at the album credits and see what informations they provided there. They will tell you at least what Symphony Orchestra they use for recording E.T and which studio they recorded it from. If so that is probably the closest thing you can get and they probably randomly pick a pianist who plays for that particular Symphony Orchestra.

But E.T. was not performed by any particular orchestra.

No it wasn't . I think I've misinterepted in what I'm trying to say. I said read the Album Credits information that is provided on the album which will tell you what Orchestra they used whether it was particular symphony or not or just a selection of musicans to form a orchestra group at the recording stage or whatever. They do sometime list the people names who plays the instruments. As far as I know The Terminal OST album is the only one that I know that has the list of people names who plays the instruments...

But E.T. was not performed by any particular orchestra.

No it wasn't . I think I've misinterepted in what I'm trying to say. I said read the Album Credits information that is provided on the album which will tell you what Orchestra they used whether it was particular symphony or not or just a selection of musicans to form a orchestra group at the recording stage or whatever. They do sometime list the people names who plays the instruments. As far as I know The Terminal OST album is the only one that I know that has the list of people names who plays the instruments...

I am pretty certain it was Randy Kerber (spelling?), who was the same as on forrest gump.

Pi, how do you know for sure that it is him?

I was under the impression that it was Williams himself. Miguel should confirm or deny soon.

Could it possibly be Williams?

How could it be Williams himself when he was conducting it? John Williams can't conduct and play the piano at the same time. Could he? Unless it was a separate recording and mixed it in.

Or unless he was, you know, a talented musician.

It's Williams playing the piano solos in Angela's Ashes... and could it be him too, in the Schindler's List end credits?

I was under the impression that it was Williams himself. Miguel should confirm or deny soon.

How could it be Williams himself when he was conducting it? John Williams can't conduct and play the piano at the same time. Could he? Unless it was a separate recording and mixed it in.

It is not uncommon for pianists do conduct from the piano in classical music. No reason Williams wouldn't be able to do this.

Tim

Well it is certain that Williams has performed the piano part in concert as well as conducting, but as to whether it's him on the recording is the question. I thought it was him, but I never put too much faith in the fact.

Yes exactly.... On the actual recording for E.T how do we know that it is him playing on the piano and conducting?

Miguel, were are you?

Sorry, was having the usual night nap :)

At this point I'm unable to confirm if it was Williams at the piano. I seem to remember that this was discussed before, but don't remember what was the conclusion...

What I can say is that it is unlikelly that the performance was performed by Randy Kerber. In some earlier scores the session pianist Williams used was Mike Lang.

As far as Williams playing the piano on sessions, he did played the piano on the end credits of Schindler's List and on the opening cue of Angela's Ashes. And yes, he condcuted from the piano, at Pops concerts more than once, including the mentioned Angela's Ashes suite.

I'm quite sure that Ralph Grierson was one of the session pianist on E.T. (it was mentioned in an old article on FSM).

On various old Boston Globes articles, it was revealed that Williams played the piano on the Schindler's List end credits, the theme from Sabrina and in parts of Angela's Ashes (also, I remember that during the USC seminar last year Williams said he played the piano part himself in several of his scores).

More complex or faster paced piano pieces would require the use of both hands on the keyboard, right?

Leaving Williams unable to conduct.

I don't know if the Over The Moon piano piece is something that can easily be played with one hand.

And yes Pablo, I was being sirius.

It really depends on how much complex the piano part is, and how deft the conductor/pianist is. Since we're not talking about live performances, I believe Williams (who is also a very skilled pianist) could perform on the piano and conduct at the same time. This probably take more time during the rehearsal, but it's not an impossible feat, at least not for JW.

Concerning "Over the Moon", the complexity of the piece is absolutely on virtuoso level. Also, the piano part is a duet, since there are two piano lines counterpointed.

It's entirely possible the piano part was recorded separately and dubbed in. In the score, the beginning of the end credits is orchestrated in addition to the piano part being there. In the film, it starts with solo piano and the orchestra part is slowly "turned up" volume-wise until it's at full volume w/ the piano. The part is quite challenging, the left hand part encompasses two octaves (8th notes) while the right hand part has a lot of jumping around while maintaining a steady triplet rhythm.

It really depends on how much complex the piano part is, and how deft the conductor/pianist is.

....and how good the orchestra are at listening to/watching what is going on....

Concerning "Over the Moon", the complexity of the piece is absolutely on virtuoso level. Also, the piano part is a duet, since there are two piano lines counterpointed.

I had always thought there were two pianists in that end credits music. Though I'm not a musician, I always found it difficult to mimic the piano. No one's hands could master that piece. It has to be two people.

That said, it is a beautiful performance, whoever it is. Performers on John Williams scores rarely get recognized unless they have prominent solos in the score, or are famous, like Itzhak, Yo-Yo or Tim Morrison.

I'm quite sure that Ralph Grierson was one of the session pianist on E.T. (it was mentioned in an old article on FSM).

On various old Boston Globes articles, it was revealed that Williams played the piano on the Schindler's List end credits, the theme from Sabrina and in parts of Angela's Ashes (also, I remember that during the USC seminar last year Williams said he played the piano part himself in several of his scores).

Didn't remember about Sabrina, but it makes all the sense! Every time I listen ot it, I think of Williams playing it. There is something in his playing, that since I'm no musician am unable to explain, that is very sweet and tender, I guess like the man himself, and so adequate for a fairy tale score...

Miguel, falling in love again... under the spell of fairies and wizards... and Sabrina!

Hmmm...

I always did believe it was Williams' himself when I was a kid - probably because one of the first things I ever saw about JW was a featurette where he was playing and explaining the themes from E.T., I guess it stuck in the mind.

There has to be a way of finding out short of asking the man himself.

I also always assumed that it's Williams who plays piano but maybe not.

I just watched The Music of "E.T." - A Discussion with John Williams feature and that spot where

he is conducting the cue just before the first Flying theme in it's full power.

There is great piano part in there(sounds more tricky than the end-credits) but I don't see the player.

Anyway if there is a skilled player already I don't see any reason for Williams to play piano in the end-credits.

btw- it's not that difficult than it sounds , great it is though...

Or Williams to play it while someone else conducts. But that's unlikely.

It is possible he played the end credits, but I doubt he would play the over the moon, it is not really a hard part for a studio pianist (it sounds much harder).

Secondly I remember hearing a story that the pianist for the 20th anniversary concert broke his arm falling off the stage during the dress rehearsal at the Shrine and was replaced at the last minute. I think Randy replaced him, but I remember hearing that whomever fell was the original pianist of the soundtrack.

PS Williams piano playing sounds to me very orchestral in nature, organizing the music according to the line and not overly dramatic or excessively rhythmic, almost shy.

I imagine if williams had to play one of the orchestrators would conduct, but since williams did this himself perhaps it was the concertmaster?? i dont know.

I can play the end credits.. i do it all the time.

I bet it was williams.. since the orchestra has to be good, i bet they could figure out what to do without him right?

Does no one here have the Piano Arrangement of the E.T. score? The piano part of "Over the Moon" is included there (unarranged) and I used to play it, too. It is a great piece, really -- not too complicated. But to be honest, the Over the Moon on the Spielberg/Williams Collboration CD impresses me much more. Now, I wonder who that was. Ì am thinking Bob Winter . . . but then again it must have been Williams.

Or Williams to play it while someone else conducts. But that's unlikely.

but I doubt he would play the over the moon, it is not really a hard part for a studio pianist (it sounds much harder).

Actually pi, it is a tad bit harder than one may think. I transcribed it a while back and unlike the published version from Hal Leonard which has the RH staying within the range of a 6th, the actual soundtrack version has the RH spanning an octave, which sets up an akward position where the RH 1 and 2 fingers are bunched up minor 2nd C# and D while pinky plays an octave higher on C#. It's nothing that a concert pianist couldn't play, but it does take quite a bit of practice (to play gracefully), unlike the supposedly accurate Hal Leonard version which fits the hands much more comfortably.

I actually heard that, as crazy as it sounds, he actually sight-read the score and that the orchestra players gave him a huge applause at the end of the session.

Hellgi

I believe that, these studio pianists can sight read mozart piano concerti. They are just nasty players. And if over the moon is the same as the magic of haloween, it is not hard at all all octaves which are really simple, you only need to read one line.

it is not hard at all all octaves which are really simple, you only need to read one line.

But it's not just octaves. There are inner notes that make it akward. Again, it's not exactly Godowsky, but it's harder than the so-called "transcriptions" which are not accurate.

Is it possible that JW was at the piano and that no one was conducting? Since this was done in a recording studio, I assume that the players had metronome click-tracks in their ears which would have significantly reduced the need for a conductor during the actual recording performance.