John Debney scores Lair

QMM

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone's interested in this (either by topic or composer), John Debney supplied 2 hours worth of music for a video game called LAIR. Not familiar with it, but judging by this interview, the material sounds like it could have great potential for cool action and fantasy music.

There are apparently talks for a 2 CD set dedicated to Debney's music.

Tim

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see this topic.

There are apparently talks for a 2 CD set dedicated to Debney's music.

Tim

Wow, they're actually going to release all of the music? In his latest interview, Debney said there was upwards of 90-100 min of music recorded. If this is true, it's great news!!

• 2 months later...

That IGN video could be exciting... but I turned it off after a minute. I can't stand streaming files with no control over when to (re)start them, that are in constant STOP-GO mode... I can't listen to music that's interrupted for 5s every 10s.

Wow, thanks for that link Panthera! It reminds me of Horner and Poledouris music from the 1980s!

• 3 months later...
If it has dragons in it,it has potential for a good score

... Wow, you've got to be kidding me. Why do people just want to hear the same stuff over and over?

I thought so, but I didn't want to write a sarcastic remark without it being deserved. But since that's the case: You know, you're right. Every possible variation on the action/adventure/orchestral score has been exhausted. I guess I'll go listen to Batman Begins, because new is better.

I don't think I said that action / adventure scores have been exhausted, that new music is better, or that Zimmer synths are preferable to orchestral music.

That would be correct, Stefan.

I've listened to this score several times already, and it's quickly become one of my favorite scores of the year. It's not obvious videogame music either... much like Howard Shore's "Soul of the Ultimate Nation," it could easily be a movie score. The themes are moving, the action tracks are thrilling, and the slower, ethnic music is just beautiful.

From the 30 second sample on iTunes, "Civilization Theme" sounds like "Theme from Schindler's List," sort of.

And on the subject of Debney, I wish there was a soundtrack for "Elf" availible.

From the 30 second sample on iTunes, "Civilization Theme" sounds like "Theme from Schindler's List," sort of.

What?

What?

What?

I'm listening to it right now and it sounds nothing like Schindler's List, although Horner's danger motif slips in at the end.

As far as im listening, Diviner Battle has a rip off the Bad guy theme from the Incredibles.

From other samples i heard, i think this score has many hommages. Which is good IMO, it helps to like the score, for its familiar sound.

From other samples i heard, i think this score has many hommages.

It's a John Debney score. :huh:

LAIR is now available on iTunes for $9.99. 26 tracks, 1 hour and 9 minutes. It's a great score, but will it be released commercially?

It has been, you just posted so......

Debney is one of the worst composers on the planet!

:huh: :huh:

Without Debney there'd be no Hedwig's Theme as we know it.

Would you please elaborate?

Mark Radcliffe and Chris Columbus liked John Debney's work on Halloween Tree, specifically the tone. A few of the early cuts of the film featured the main theme from Debney's Halloween Tree, and other tracks.

Now keeping that in mind, and then listening to the two scores, it can't just be mere coincidence that Hedwig's Theme or Mr. Longbottom Flies sound so similar to Debney's work.

Williams claims to have written Hedwig's theme based on the book. Maybe the orchestration of "Mr. Longbottom Flies" (the Nimbus 2000 theme) was influenced by Halloween Tree, but not the essential Hedwig's theme.