Oscar-winning scores SHOWDOWN! The finale

Trumpeteer

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Oscar-winning scores is your least favorite?

• Fame (1980)
    • Brokeback Mountain (2005)

I guess it's no surprise that two scores that many here will say unjustly won over a John Williams score are the finalists in the Oscar showdown: Fame and Brokeback Mountain.

Vote for the one you dislike the most. Don't vote on whether one deserved the Oscar least over the other. This about the quality of the score.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like the other thread devoted to this - since too many were judging on whether or not someone else deserved it that year and not purely on quality.....so it's not really with any particular surprise that Fame finds itself in the final when really it shouldn't be....

....Fame may have not deserved it's Oscar that year, but that does not stop it being a decent score.

Brokeback Mountain, however, is a bowel movement.

Actually you're missing a lot... of overrated crap.

Seriously, that film was rubbish. I have no problems with the subject matter (loved Gods and Monsters), but I hated the way it was written, directed and acted - just relying far too heavily on the subject matter. I'm not really sure to explain it... the film's attitude was the equivalent of saying "look, this is a film about gay people so if you don't like it you're homophobic". It would have been much more effective if they'd developed the characters better and let the story evolve more naturally, so we the audience choose (or think we choose) to side with them, for want of a better term.

I vote Babel, dammit!

- Marc, who hasn't heard/seen Brokeback Mountain.

If you saw/heard "Babel," you've essentially heard the score to "Brokeback." Thus the frustration over the win this year.

Guys with cowboy hats, horses and sheep.

What else would you call it?

I know it's been described as a Western but it really doesn't fit the stereotype of that genre. If Ledger and Gyllenhaal were attacked by Indians while they were on the mountain, then maybe I'd be more comfortable classifying it as a Western. I guess it can be a Western, just an atypical one.

I'm not really sure to explain it... the film's attitude was the equivalent of saying "look, this is a film about gay people so if you don't like it you're homophobic".

Exactly!

and Babel was by the guy who scored the gay movie last year so if you don't vote for Santaollala your homophobic.

By now we all know any person displaying the slighest homophobia needs long sessions of rehab and therapy

It really ticks you off that people genuinly liked the score, doesn't it?

Morlock- who thinks that Santaolalla winning for fear of showing homophobia is the most pathetic excuse he's yet

Indeed. And while the good MV (Powell, Gregson-Williams, Zimmer in his non-MV mode) might start getting nods, the MV sound will never be awarded anything.

I didn't see Injuns attacking Clint Eastwood in the Leone westerns, ot The Unforgiven.

Stefan Cosman says Bob Dole's logic is flawed!

Well there was gunfightin' in them Westerns. If you're not shootin Injuns in a Western, the cowboys have to be shootin one another like in Unforgiven or High Noon. No gunslinging in Brokeback Mountain. I suppose you could make a horror film without killing anybody off onscreen but it would be strange. Brokeback can be a Western, I concede that, but it doesn't fit into the stereotype of that genre. Just because the main character wears a cowboy hat and/or the film takes place on a ranch in the West doesn't make it a Western. Midnight Cowboy has "cowboy" in the title and Jon Voight wears a cowboy hat in the film but it's not close to being a Western.