The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a featurette today about how Giacchino did a concert arrangement of his music for Lost in Hawaii. It was pretty cool. He conducted the last piece but the rest was by Simonec.

Another part of that featurette made me laugh. I forgot the guys name but I think it was one of the executive producers of the show. He said this in the same featurette... "Giacchino is God." :P

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason Burt had control over the score in SW was because he was the editor also. As long as he isn't the editor, we have nothing to fear....right?

It depends on how much say he has in the final mix. It looks like he's just come in to help out, not be the overall sound director as he was on the prequels, so we should be OK.

Good to hear he only has a limited role. But you have to admit, the man does a damn good job at what he does (even despite his attitude/treatment of scores).

I'd love to hear anything from or even about this score at the moment. Seriously anticipating this one.

Hmm...not sure about that communicator.

I was at first too - especially the blatant addition of the Starfleet Insignia. But then it just occurred to me that if we look at TNG and the other later series, the communicator always consists simply of an insignia-shaped device attached to the uniform. From this point of view, I can see how the retro-design kinda actually works.

Yeah, but I was hoping for something a bit more black with a gold grill.

_autoimages_dc17711lg.jpg

Ah...I see your point. Though one would have to wonder about the functionality of the grill, besides giving dramatic flair whenever Kirk would open one that is.

Uhura's ear piece and Bones' medical scanner are the only two things that look pretty good from those pictures. Kirk's so called "communicator" looks like garbage.

• 2 weeks later...
There ya go, Trent. For $30, you can buy the new Enterprise and bash it into tiny bits all you want.

I wouldn't waste $30 on that thing. I'd rather put $30 towards something else, like a Blu-Ray movie or a score (or two).

There ya go, Trent. For $30, you can buy the new Enterprise and bash it into tiny bits all you want.

If I collected Star Trek toys I'd buy it.

I wonder if that will be the new Hallmark Ornament for this year.

I almost got the Reliant one this last year.

I did get it. Im doubtful that it will be this years ornament becuase they had to have its design finalized last year. We'll see, its a cool looking ship now that I can see much more of it.

I was right, after doing a bit of snooping the new Enterprise will not be this years Hallmark ornament.

instead it will be....

2009 may be the year of JJ Abram’s revitalization of Star Trek, but it is also the 30th Anniversary of the release of the original "revitalization" feature film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. In honor of that film Hallmark will release a K’t'inga Class Klingon Battlecruiser featured in the film.

awesome, absolutely totally freaking awesome.

I have all the Hallmark ships. Joe is correct though, I do know what the 2009 Christmas ornaments are:

Klingon Cruiser from ST:TMP

A mini Diorama from "The Menagerie" featuring Captain Pike, Kirk, and Spock.

Original Phaser (To go with the 2008 Communicator Ornament)

Limited Edtion Ilia Probe

***Edit****

:) I see Joe found the same link I did at the same time.

add this Mark...

Kevin Dilmore, who in addition to being a Star Trek novelist also works for Hallmark, promises the Klingon ship will be "complete with incredible detail of the hull plating and glowing torpedo launchers". The second TMP Hallmark item planned for 2009 is a limited edition Ilia Probe ornament

I loved the Klingon cruiser since we first saw it as a Romulan warship in the 3rd Season episode The Enterprise Incident from Star Trek.

It was first seen as a Klingon ship in the 3rd season episode Day of the Dove which aired after The Enterprise Incident.

the past christmas all my star trek ornaments were on the tree, as were all my snoopy and charlie brown ones.

Voyager even gets to be on the same side of the tree now that she's not lost. How geeky is that.

I wonder what version of TMP they will include?

The Digital Bits reported on this before and it will be the theatrical version of the film. For the new special effects they did for the Director's Edition they only did them in 480i or something like that. In order for it to be high definition they'd have to redo all the new effects again.

Edit: I for one will be buying the original movies on Blu-Ray and I'm sure the Next Generation movies will get a Blu-Ray release probably next year. Oh and "The Motion Picture Trilogy?" Ummmm Star Trek I-VI are not a "trilogy".

For the new special effects they did for the Director's Edition they only did them in 480i or something like that. In order for it to be high definition they'd have to redo all the new effects again.

That's thinking ahead.

For the new special effects they did for the Director's Edition they only did them in 480i or something like that. In order for it to be high definition they'd have to redo all the new effects again.

That's thinking ahead.

Indeed.

Ummmm Star Trek I-VI are not a "trilogy".

That's the cover for the European version, where they are apparently only including I, II and III. The US boxset will supposedly have I-VI.

Be good to see the theatrical TMP again. I miss the old opening title and the original San Francisco shots.

I always felt it could have done with a lot more tightening up. I don't remember too much of the details for the DE to know how much of a significant difference it made, VFX apart. So it'll be nice to compare the two, but as much as I love the film, even the DE drags quite a bit.