The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's meaningless when marketing comes into it. It's like Quadrilogy. No one had even heard of that word before the Alien boxset. If marketers want to call it a trilogy, they will. I just don't really see how debating the merits of whether it is a trilogy is needed.

Star Trek I-III does not make up a trilogy.

Neither does RAIDERS, TOD and TLC, but they were still known for the better part of twenty seven years as the Indiana Jones Trilogy.

Impossible.

Last Crusade will only be 20 years old this year.

:blink:

I would love to have the original theatrical cut of ST:TMP.

I appreciate what they did with the directors cut but it doesn't really do anything to help the film. Just give us both versions on the DVD.

Well since Adolf closed the other thread, I suppose we can continue the discussion here.

Hmmm, I close your unsubstantiated thread and then get compared to the world's greatest mass murderer. Interesting. And people say this is a thankless task.

Learn some manners.

Now in case anyone is paying attention, I'm not saying this isn't Giacchino. I wouldn't recognize Giacchino's pastiche style. I just seek confirmation, that's all. The rules clearly state to post sources (check out rules 8 and 9). No one has. That's why I closed and re-titled the other thread. Trekmovie.com hasn't listed a composer for this promo, and Anthony is on top of this stuff. So until then, I'm inclined to believe that the music is not by Giacchino.

Feel free to disagree with me, but please don't call me or anyone names.

Neil

Well since Adolf closed the other thread, I suppose we can continue the discussion here.

Referring Neil to Adolf Hilter is NOT cool in the least bit man. Very uncool.

I've already explained to Neil it was meant at as a light jest and that no offense was ever intended. Adolf is a colloquialism for oppression in this case, and even that is used as a joke.

Now it's obvious if I had picked...say...Neil the Opressor or Darth Vader, this would be a non-issue, unless Neil is really staunch about not being jibed at for any administrative decision. Adolf was the one that rolled off the tongue, and I've already apologized to Neil.

Referring Neil to Adolf Hilter is NOT cool in the least bit man. Very uncool.

Thank you, Peanut Gallery.

It still doesn't matter if it was meant as a joke or not, it was a piss poor joke at that. I've been banned for something like this before. I'm surprised you haven't been given a light suspension.

I've already explained to Neil it was meant at as a light jest and that no offense was ever intended. Adolf is a colloquialism for oppression in this case, and even that is used as a joke.

Now it's obvious if I had picked...say...Neil the Opressor or Darth Vader, this would be a non-issue,

I've used Überdiskussionforumführer throughout the years to describe Neil, and have gotten away with it.

I thought the joke was rather harmless, regardless of any language. Anybody who thinks that the shenanigans of any of our esteemed moderators are comparable to the genocidal hijinks of a madman needs a better sense of humor.

I didn't say I was going to say anything quite like that. I'm not nearly clever enough to make up anything profound, and I make a point to not push the buttons of the moderators, only a few non-moderators.

Thankless? What would you like, a hug? The last time I tried to put a hug in a box and ship it overseas, it died in Customs.

I didn't say I was going to say anything quite like that.

I know you weren't. Just pointing it out.

Thankless? What would you like, a hug? The last time I tried to put a hug in a box and ship it overseas, it died in Customs.

Not being second guessed constantly would be nice, but whatever.

Also, moderators not being called Adolf if they've closed someone's thread.

I thought the joke was rather harmless, regardless of any language. Anybody who thinks that the shenanigans of any of our esteemed moderators are comparable to the genocidal hijinks of a madman needs a better sense of humor.

next time use someone just as murderous but with a nicer name, less gutteral :lol:

the closer we get to this new film the more apprehensive I get. I fear it will be bad.

I've read several places online that the film is so great, and some that say the opposite. Still I like the ship.

Well, if that is Giachino music, it is well done. Better than I would expect from many other composers, but about what I would expect from him. Solid action scoring. He hasn't entered my hall of kings, but he's a welcome addition to the roster, and he makes movies fun to watch.

BTW, the older trailer music that Nick Pheonix wrote is definitely in today's "trailer music" style. LOL

Well, if that is Giachino music, it is well done. Better than I would expect from many other composers, but about what I would expect from him. Solid action scoring. He hasn't entered my hall of kings, but he's a welcome addition to the roster, and he makes movies fun to watch.

BTW, the older trailer music that Nick Pheonix wrote is definitely in today's "trailer music" style. LOL

It's been pointed out by Neil a page or so back it's not Giacchino's music.

Indeed. I am willing to bet a limb or two that the unidentified music in those interviews is at least written by Giacchino, if not for the film itself. I'm quite familiar with his style now, and I can definitely hear it.

so its a secret, it could remain one, its not anything to get excited about.

BLAND.

The trailer music ("Down the Enterprise") plays at the beginning and at the end of the clip, but the music that plays underneath the interviews is still unrecognized.

And Very Giacchinoesque

and i want to express that ILM rules :)

It's been pointed out by Neil a page or so back it's not Giacchino's music.

I'm not talking about that music, I am talking about the unidentified stuff. Nice muted brass and Williamsesque woodwind harmonies. Certainly simpler than what Williams would write, judging by his prequel action music, but still in the same sort of realm. The other stuff that is by Nick Pheonix is not in that league, nor was it meant to be I think. I have heard better from him. I think he wanted to make it sound like a generic trailer and not like a functional cue.

Damn it Neil I was waiting for the Superbowl!!!

Well it looks like the full leaked plot synopsis from fall of 2008 was spot on. You Tube also has the Land Of The Lost Superbowl spot.