The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer ferengi leather, made from the ears of ferengi slaves by ferengi slaves. Cost me a large chuck of latnium.

they did until the Ferengi unleashed a biological plague that dramatically changed the dna of all targs. How do you say Chihuahua on Kronos?

It's spelled Chupacabra.

Official Announcement on the Blu-Rays

Looking forward to the Horner featurette and the TWOK restoration. Also confirmed: the trlilogy box is indeed II/III/IV.

Well the only reason I could see myself being interested would be to get the original cut of ST:TMP, although I have the original unfinished extended cut Laserdisc.

Too bad they couldn't include the extended cuts of II & IV or the directors cut of ST:TMP like they did for the regular DVD.

Well the only reason I could see myself being interested would be to get the original cut of ST:TMP, although I have the original unfinished extended cut Laserdisc.

Too bad they couldn't include the extended cuts of II & IV or the directors cut of ST:TMP like they did for the regular DVD.

IV had an extended cut?

Star Trek IV didn't have a director's cut. Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek II were the only ones that had director's cut. All though Star Trek VI was changed slightly during the melding scene between Spock and Valaris for the special edition DVD set.

I didn't care too much for the flashback additions to the mind meld sequence. I thought the sound effects made the scene corny. Maybe that's because I had watched the movie so many times, I already knew who the conspirators were, and the flashbacks were added to emphasize the faces for those who were seeing it for the first time, a la 1991.

No isolated scores? These guys aren't making it worth my while to buy Blu-Ray.

I didn't care too much for the flashback additions to the mind meld sequence. I thought the sound effects made the scene corny. Maybe that's because I had watched the movie so many times, I already knew who the conspirators were, and the flashbacks were added to emphasize the faces for those who were seeing it for the first time, a la 1991.

No isolated scores? These guys aren't making it worth my while to buy Blu-Ray.

I agree about the flashbacks too. I never cared for it myself and the fact they cut off Chekov's lines Spock and Valaris said, "Admiral Cartwright" and Chekov said, "From Starfleet!?" Oh and I forgot I think they added a line for Kirk before that point too which didn't bother me that much.

Either way it'll be nice to have these on Blu-Ray and I'm for sure getting them once they're available. The Digital Bits also reported that The Next Generation movies (Generations through Nemesis) will most likely come out on Blu-Ray in a 4 pack later this year in time for the holiday's.

Regarding isolated scores Wojo....this is PARAMOUNT we're talking about, they aren't going to put isolated scores on their Star Trek movies. They never did before so why would they now? Paramount is very stingy as what gets released regarding Star Trek and they will never put isolated scores for the movies.

The theatrical cut of Star Trek VI has never been issued on home video. Every release on video has included the "Colonel West" character and "Operation: Retrieve" as well as the discussion between Scotty, Spock and Valeris about the torpedoes. None of these scenes were in the theatrical version.

The original cut of TMP doesn't interest me anymore.

Neil

The theatrical cut of Star Trek VI has never been issued on home video. Every release on video has included the "Colonel West" character and "Operation: Retrieve" as well as the discussion between Scotty, Spock and Valeris about the torpedoes. None of these scenes were in the theatrical version.

Ahh, I did not know that, then again it's been years since I've seen the theatrical version of the film. I saw the movie in theaters but I don't really recall it that much. It'll be interesting to watch the movie with out the said scenes.

Same here, I much prefer the Director's Cut. I hope they have been working on redoing all the fx's in higher format for high def. That was a dumb move by ILM not to save them at the highest possible format.

Oops got my I & V typed backwards.

I meant VI.

Same here, I much prefer the Director's Cut. I hope they have been working on redoing all the fx's in higher format for high def. That was a dumb move by ILM not to save them at the highest possible format.

ILM had nothing to do with The Director's cut of ST:TMP.

Oops got my I & V typed backwards.

I meant VI.

ILM had nothing to do with The Director's cut of ST:TMP.

Or any of the special effects in TMP. ILM didn't start work with Star Trek until TWOK.

The first version of Star Trek VI that I ever saw was the theatrical cut, because that's what they showed on TV in the mid 90's and I taped it. I had a bootleg rip of the extended cut with Colonel West that I watched until I bought the DVD.

Who did the special effects then for the director's cut?

Douglas Slocombe with John Dykstra as his assistant. Because Dykstra would ultimately go on to work for ILM, many think ILM did the effects, which they didn't.

Douglas Slocombe with John Dykstra as his assistant. Because Dykstra would ultimately go on to work for ILM, many think ILM did the effects, which they didn't.

Douglas Trumbull and John Dykstra did the effects in 1979. Dykstra worked for ILM on Star Wars and then branched off to form his own company, Apogee, which did the effects on TMP.

Foundation Imaging did the effects for The Director's Edition.

Neil

Douglas Trumbull and John Dykstra did the effects in 1979. Dykstra worked for ILM on Star Wars and then branched off to form his own company, Apogee, which did the effects on TMP.

Neil

Foundation folded in 2002, their assets sold at public auction.

Neil

I love the Col. West scene! "Then quite frankly, Mr. President, we can clean their chronometers." Priceless.

John- who also has no need for the original cut of TMP any more

Looking forward to the Horner featurette and the TWOK restoration. Also confirmed: the trlilogy box is indeed II/III/IV.

I just gotta say, that is some God awful cover art.

I just gotta say, that is some God awful cover art.

I agree. The Special Edition DVDs were nice enough and true to the original posters, even if they were formatted differently.

Neil

Those scenes were in the European cut as I remember seeing them.....twice. Originally released in Ireland and UK on February 14 1992.

Neil

Not sure, but I think the threatrical version was released on CD-I

I for one will be glad to get my hands on the original release of TMP. "Viewer off. VIEWER OFF!!!"

I pined for that second reading when watching it the other day.

I also discovered the alien kid ("And Captain Decker...") is the nerd in a beret from JAWS 2.

I've only ever seen The Director's Cut.

Well I will admit Vulcan looks better and it's nice to have proper opening credits.

And I do give them credit for making the additional VSFX shots look like they were shot 1979, unlike Lucas who's CGI butchering of the original trilogy is a travesty, the shots stick out badly compared to the original film.

But in all honesty you can't fix a 2 hr + plus film that had too many problems to begin with by snipping a few seconds here and there and adding new eye candy.

I think the new external shots of Vger stick out a bit. And the Vger fireball things, which are way obvious CG. But the other stuff is good. I prefer the old credits, though.

But yeah, I don't think the film really changed much. It certainly didn't solve any of its problems, as effects were always the least of its worries.

Yeah you can notice most of the new shots.

Like I said Vulcan looks better but I thought the original Starfleet Golden Gate shot looked fine, the new doesn't look any better, in fact there's no life to it. I know it's supposed to imitate one but it looks too much like a matte painting, if that makes sense.

Yeah you can notice most of the new shots.

Like I said Vulcan looks better but I thought the original Starfleet Golden Gate shot looked fine, the new doesn't look any better, in fact there's no life to it. I know it's supposed to imitate one but it looks too much like a matte painting, if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. It looks too much like a computer game cutscene to me.

If only Shatner was allowed to go back and do a "Director's Cut" of TTF.....like clean up that Yosemite freefall for starters. Must have been all those "marshmelons".

In J.M. Dillard's novelization (and in the original script William Shatner contributed to) Doctor McCoy played a practical joke on Spock, reprogramming the computer to display "marshmelon" instead of "marshmallow". Although this wasn't filmed, the error in Spock's pronunciation and Doctor McCoy's delight in it are evident in the movie.

Neil

Foundation folded in 2002, their assets sold at public auction.

Good to see their efforts on TMP Director's Cut worked out well.

If only Shatner was allowed to go back and do a "Director's Cut" of TTF.....like clean up that Yosemite freefall for starters. Must have been all those "marshmelons".

I know, all they needed to fix were the scenes with the ships, the great barrier and the blue screen for Kirk's fall and the movie would improve greatly.

In J.M. Dillard's novelization (and in the original script William Shatner contributed to) Doctor McCoy played a practical joke on Spock, reprogramming the computer to display "marshmelon" instead of "marshmallow". Although this wasn't filmed, the error in Spock's pronunciation and Doctor McCoy's delight in it are evident in the movie.

I remember the TFF DC Comics adaptation, which for some reason called them 'mellowmarsh's'.

• 2 weeks later...