The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

There's a lot that's not on the CD, I'm thinking. All those short tracks really make it obvious that a lot of key stuff, probably climaxes, slower music, and some action music to tie what's on the CD into a more coherent flow is missing.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Giacchino only wanted to release 45 minutes, or if thats all Varese could afford to pay for

Paramount being Paramount, I wouldn't be shocked if it's the latter--in fact I'd lean towards it. Giacchino is typically fairly generous with his releases--or at least not 45-minutes stingy. I don't think he chose to make it this short. I'd be surprised if he wanted it that way.

I think that the truth is Giacchino is not the next Williams or Goldsmith

He doesn't have to be. I'm just glad he's Giacchino; that's enough for me.

Amen to that.

Judging by the comments it looks like my guess from the track titles was right, the CD is very action heavy. Hopefully the softer cues will rip fairly cleanly.

Amen to that.

Judging by the comments it looks like my guess from the track titles was right, the CD is very action heavy. Hopefully the softer cues will rip fairly cleanly.

It is VERY action heavy. Offhand, I can only think of maybe three non-action tracks.

The problem is, they're all very short and so it's hard to get into them. There's very little buildup in individual tracks, it's just "BAM! I'm here!.....and now I'm done!" I'm sure a complete release would make this score more enjoyable.

I wonder if Giacchino only wanted to release 45 minutes

He did it as a nod to Goldsmith.

Then he would release 38 minutes and would make sure that the 12 minutes of action music are outbalanced by wobbling suspense stuff.

Amen to that.

It is VERY action heavy. Offhand, I can only think of maybe three non-action tracks.

How do you know?

Or will the answer be illegal

Amen to that.

How do you know?

Or will the answer be illegal

What's happening with ST is what happened with KOTCS.

I'm waiting for my Varese order to come before I listen to it.

Not illegal to hear something before it's released, since there are many ways one could hear it before release without resorting to downloading.

I really want a complete score. It's very unsatisfying in the sense that it feels like it's going somewhere but it never really gets there. The theme is great and has some fantastic iterations, but as in 90% of movie scores since 2000, the big emotional buildups always fade away instead of busting out in a grand statement of beautiful music. In short, there is no "Binary Sunset" moment.

My other complaint is that there is little variation in this soundtrack. No grand climaxes, very little quiet moments (which isn't necessarily bad), it all chugs along at about the same level of intensity. Which, in a way, makes it less intense because there is no sense of urgency, really.

And like I already mentioned, the action music is over so quick it can't really develop.

It might grow on me, I've given it 4 listens (2 while distracted) and I am starting to see where unreleased music would flesh this out a bit and make it make more "sense."

Not to shill or anything, but here is something by some dude you might be interested in, if only to disagree (or pick holes).

Top 10 Star Trek Scores

That guy is pretty much spot on. I'd rank Generations lower, but his points about which tracks are the best on that CD are spot on.

If only we had complete (or at least expanded) scores for the original crew, other than The Undiscovered Country.

But we do.

We have the first and last. No expanded or complete scores for II-V and Generations, unless you're counting the awful DVD rips which are fuzzy, chock full of annoying SFX and so forth.

I wonder if Giacchino only wanted to release 45 minutes, or if thats all Varese could afford to pay for

Well he also used a 107 piece orchestra with a 40 member choir. That might play a factor into the fees.

I liked the action music that played during that preview more than any of the action music on the OST

I wonder just what that big CGI monster is. They've shown it once or twice in trailers. I assume it's on that really cold penal asteroid, but I wonder what implications it'll have on the story. Maybe it's just in the movie because Abrams had a monster in Cloverfield.

I wonder just what that big CGI monster is. They've shown it once or twice in trailers. I assume it's on that really cold penal asteroid, but I wonder what implications it'll have on the story. Maybe it's just in the movie because Abrams had a monster in Cloverfield.

On one of the Star Trek sites there are some more pictures of the creature as well as pre-concept drawings. It looks like a

cross between Cloverfield and the worms from Tremors

I believe the planet is a moon that Kirk gets sent to and also where he ends up meeting Scotty and old Spock.

Also there are some new clips on the Star Trek Yahoo movie page, one of them contains a major spoiler.

I read months ago that it was Rura Penthe. That doesn't make much sense if it's deep inside Klingon space in ST VI, but the frontier lines of space do shift over time.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but from what I understand this is what ahappens.

From what I understand, it's a Vulcan moon or regular moon that young Spock sends Kirk to, possibly as punishment or to get him out of his hair. Supposedly he meets Scotty, who has been assigned there by an angry Admiral for a transporter mishap. Also that's where he meets the older Spock who tells him he must take command of the Enterprise from his younger self.

I'm somewhat inclined to believe it since the other spoilers and leaked plot synopsis fits everything we've seen so far.

The fact that older Spock goes back in time in the first place to set things right between young Spock and Kirk suggests that, 1) the Star Trek TOS timeline we know and love is an alternate history to begin with by older Spock's actions; 2) Nero himself is trying to screw up the timeline, which older Spock must set right; or 3) this is wholly an alternate universe or somehow the "real" universe has intersected with "an" alternate universe, but not the "mirror" universe. We'll know soon enough.

The whole timeline deal already sounds convoluted so god knows how they're going to explain it in the film. I read Star Trek Countdown and unless I missed something, that barely explained anything, apart from Nero is a bit pissed off, although why he's going after Kirk is unknown.

Like I mentioned earlier, there is a huge spoiler clip on the Yahoo Star Trek movie page

that takes place at the beginning of the film, after the attack on the Kelvin

. It might answer some of the questions in those spoilers some of you had posted.

Mark....that Romulan in the clip that you mentioned the one that says

"Then ask Captain Nero, what right he has to attack a Federation vessel?"

...he looks familiar, do you recognize him?

The whole timeline deal already sounds convoluted so god knows how they're going to explain it in the film. I read Star Trek Countdown and unless I missed something, that barely explained anything, apart from Nero is a bit pissed off, although why he's going after Kirk is unknown.

What's convoluted about it?

Nero goes back in time and messes with the timeline. It's basic "science" in sci-fi time travel stories. As far as I understand it, he goes back to destroy Vulcan, Kirk and crew just gets in the way. His line in the trailer is probably because he's forced to face Kirk, and obviously he knows who Kirk is, but he didn't go back specifically for Kirk.

The fact that older Spock goes back in time in the first place to set things right between young Spock and Kirk suggests that, 1) the Star Trek TOS timeline we know and love is an alternate history to begin with by older Spock's actions; 2) Nero himself is trying to screw up the timeline, which older Spock must set right; or 3) this is wholly an alternate universe or somehow the "real" universe has intersected with "an" alternate universe, but not the "mirror" universe. We'll know soon enough.

The second option is the one I've heard. People are just confusing themselves by getting bogged down in "alternate universe" talk.