The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think how different First Contact would be if somebody had a walkie talkie. "Hey Earth guys, there's Borg on board, you better get back aboard the ship. Ok. Borg die. Problem solved. Rest of movie is vacation in Tahiti. The end."

Or you could just kill them all with machine guns.

That was Olsen

I just got back from seeing the movie. It was a very entertaining summer flick. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Giacchino's score worked much better in the film than it does on the CD. Some good cues where left off

Question for you trek nerds: How come in Star Trek 4, they were able to go back to the 1980's, grab the whales, and then return to their exact time period that they came from...... but in this movie they make it seem like it would be impossible for Spock to return to his original timeline. I mean, if he could, he could just go back to it and kill Nero before he ever gets sucked into the black hole right?

After Marky Mark's experiences with black holes in POTA..................

Good point, Marian. I suppose a nuclear warhead would make quick work of a Borg cube, too, when detonated on the surface. I did point out that the stories would suffer if they approached them using conventional technology and thinking.

Not sure if it was mentioned on this board or another forum I visit but someone mentions about Uhura mentioning a Cardassian drink. In Star Trek books I think it was established that the Federation (at least in future Spock's timeline) didn't make contact with the Cardassian's until after the Enterprise-B was built and it was Captain Harriman and the crew of the Enterprise-B that made contact with the Cardassian's.

Not sure if it was mentioned on this board or another forum I visit but someone mentions about Uhura mentioning a Cardassian drink. In Star Trek books I think it was established that the Federation (at least in future Spock's timeline) didn't make contact with the Cardassian's until after the Enterprise-B was built and it was Captain Harriman and the crew of the Enterprise-B that made contact with the Cardassian's.

I pointed that on May 4, about six pages back, and it was in spoiler text. There are two episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise with Cardassians. "Dead Stop" shows a Cardassian, while "Observer Effect" directly mentions the Cardassians, by way of Organians interacting with the crew. Since Star Trek books are not prime canon in the Star Trek chronology, Paramount established canon with the TV show.

I pointed that out a few pages ago, and checked Memory Alpha to be sure. There are two episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise with Cardassians. One of them shows a dead body, and the other has Mayweather or Trip discussing them. And since Star Trek books are not prime canon in the Star Trek chronology, Paramount established canon with the TV show.

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. It's been a while since I've seen episodes of Enterprise.

Think how different First Contact would be if somebody had a walkie talkie. "Hey Earth guys, there's Borg on board, you better get back aboard the ship. Ok. Borg die. Problem solved. Rest of movie is vacation in Tahiti. The end."

Or you could just kill them all with machine guns.

This is why the Narada would destroy the borg. It uses missiles, not lasers.

Good point, Marian. I suppose a nuclear warhead would make quick work of a Borg cube, too, when detonated on the surface. I did point out that the stories would suffer if they approached them using conventional technology and thinking.

The funny part is that in FC, Picard actually goes to the holodeck to kill the Borg with a machine gun... so why don't they just replicate some?

Can they just replicate melee guns? Though, I'm not sure whether or not the borg would adapt. Maybe it would go through their shields, but Picard only used it once so it would be impossible to know.

There's got to be a logical reason why Star Trek doesn't use replicated archaic weapons such as tommy guns and rifles to fight their enemies. Maybe replicated weapons degrade quicker. From a sci-fi standpoint, it makes sense that the viewers want to see futuristic weapons such as phasers and laser beams. But if those weapons fail, like when the Borg adapt, the Plan B is to run away screaming because they have no Plan B. It seems the only time that they use primitive weapons is when they have no weapons at all (fistfights) or when Q puts them into a primitive scenario. Though the Klingons have swords.

Perhaps Star Trek seeks to show itself as more enlightened and matured human civilization by moving away from blunt force particle weapons (like bullets) and melee weapons (like swords), to energy weapons. Perhaps they feel that they can be more kid friendly, by saying that they're not promoting violence and aggression in kids because they're not using weapons that kids can find in their dad's gun closet or in the garage, but weapons that don't exist. Laser and ray guns are just looked at as too far-fetched an idea to be worth trying to restrict. I dunno.

Zoe whatsherface (who plays the "new" Uhura) is F I T ! ;)

Nah, too skinny and bony for me. I'd rather take Rachel Nichols without the green paint!

THATS where Rachel Nichols was!! I saw her name in the credits, but didn't remember seeing her anywhere

I'll be sure to check her out when I see it again tonight in IMAX

Zoe whatsherface (who plays the "new" Uhura) is F I T ! :lol:

Nah, too skinny and bony for me. I'd rather take Rachel Nichols without the green paint!

You should go see the pictures of her I posted in the Sexy Women Thread.

Zoe whatsherface (who plays the "new" Uhura) is F I T ! :)

You should go see the pictures of her I posted in the Sexy Women Thread.

Meh, she's OK. Still rather take Rachel Nichols, even with the green paint I think now.

While it's a nice touch, I don't recall seeing little discs with stand-up holograms like that which talk to people. I could see something like a little iPod with a video screen that Kirk talks to Spock. But the holoprojector sounds a little too...too...Star Wars...

Saw it again tonight... Sadly not in IMAX because it was sold out and we foolishly didn't get tickets online ahead of time. D'oh!

I have some more questions for the trekkies!

-Was the whole bit where Scotty was the one who invented how to beam into a ship at warp speed something that was already part of Star Trek lore, or something that was invented for this movie?

-In the "original timeline", when did beaming into warp speed become a reality? Like, could they do it in the original series, or just the movies, or was it a Next Generation-era thing?

-Has it ever been said before that Starships were built on Earth? That has bothered me since the trailer. Why wouldn't they built the Enterprise in space?

-Was the reason for McCoy's nickname being "Bones" ever said before, or was that invented for this movie too?

-Why was Spock's mother in that Vulcan High Council cave? She's an Earthling, not a Vulcan!

Knowing their planet was going to be destroyed and given the fact her husband was on the council I would imagine she wanted to spend her last moments with him.

I believe original canon had the ships being built in space. But it wasn't a big deal to me.

But they didn't know it was going to be destroyed. Not until Spock ran in and told them.

-Has it ever been said before that Starships were built on Earth? That has bothered me since the trailer. Why wouldn't they built the Enterprise in space?

I don't know how many times they really say. I do know that the Enterprise-D and later vessels were built at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards in orbit over Mars, but if they say where other vessels were built, like Defiant and Voyager, I don't remember, and haven't looked it up yet online at Memory Alpha.

This is paraphrased from Memory Alpha:

The vessel registered NCC-1701, which was constructed in San Francisco and launched in 2245, was christened the Enterprise. According to The Making of Star Trek, the Enterprise was built on Earth but assembled in space. According to a computer display that was created behind the scenes, but never used on screen, Jonathan Archer was present at the launch and died the next day. This information remains non-canon because it was never photographed on film.

So yes, Star Trek 2009's alternate reality of the NCC-1701 assembled on Earth in an Iowa cornfield does suggest a canon violation, rather than just launching the pieces into space to assemble like our ISS. I have to see the movie to understand why Kirk and his future ship both hail from Iowa, because it seems too convenient. A planet with lower gravity like Mars would make better sense, but at least you can breathe on Earth.

I don't know how many times they really say. I do know that the Enterprise-D and later vessels were built at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards in orbit over Mars, but if they say where other vessels were built, like Defiant and Voyager, I don't remember, and haven't looked it up yet online at Memory Alpha.

This is paraphrased from Memory Alpha:

The vessel registered NCC-1701, which was constructed in San Francisco and launched in 2245, was christened the Enterprise. According to The Making of Star Trek, the Enterprise was built on Earth but assembled in space. According to a computer display that was created behind the scenes, but never used on screen, Jonathan Archer was present at the launch and died the next day. This information remains non-canon because it was never photographed on film.

So yes, Star Trek 2009's alternate reality of the NCC-1701 assembled on Earth in an Iowa cornfield does suggest a canon violation, rather than just launching the pieces into space to assemble like our ISS. I have to see the movie to understand why Kirk and his future ship both hail from Iowa, because it seems too convenient. A planet with lower gravity like Mars would make better sense, but at least you can breathe on Earth.

Speaking of the new Enterprise I'm hearing it said from the SFX guys that it is supposed to be nearly 3 times the size of the old Constitution Enterprise. I did a scale comparison and it is bigger by about 150%.

post-3099-1242318855_thumb.jpg

presumably so that they could have kirk ride his bike and see it.

-Was the reason for McCoy's nickname being "Bones" ever said before, or was that invented for this movie too?

while this may not be the real answer, a slang term for surgeons is 'sawbones'.

According to Memory Alpha, "Bones" is short for "sawbones," also a nickname used by Kirk in "A Piece of the Action", an ancient description for a surgeon. It was in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek pitch as a nickname for Dr. Philip Boyce, the doctor seen in "The Cage" serving under Pike, but the nickname was used. To explain Dr. McCoy's nickname comes from the unused nickname for Dr. Boyce does not explain why Dr. Boyce would have the nickname.

Ok, there's something about dry bones in there regarding the new movie, but I better stop reading about the new movie before I see the new movie. I'm repeating myself.

Is there another Bones explanation, Mark?

Hearing 'Bones' along with the rest of Spanish words is rather odd.

But translating it would sound strange too...

And 'emotionally compromised' translated literally. UGH!

I've only seen the film once, but honestly I didn't think that the ship Kirk was staring at was the Enterprise-- just another Constitution class vessel under construction. Did it say anywhere that it was the Enterprise (I'd think they'd apply the name at the ship's completion).

Oh, I have a question for Trekkies too. Is the Enterprise considered a warship, or an exploratory vessel? I remember in Star Trek III a Klingon crewman referring to Enterprise as a "Federation battle cruiser." The reason why I'm wondering is that it seemed that in the movies (particularly II-VI), the Enterprise is portrayed definitely as a warship, which seems to conflict with the shows purpose and "Space: the final frontier..." opening message.

-Was the whole bit where Scotty was the one who invented how to beam into a ship at warp speed something that was already part of Star Trek lore, or something that was invented for this movie?

-In the "original timeline", when did beaming into warp speed become a reality? Like, could they do it in the original series, or just the movies, or was it a Next Generation-era thing?

I honestly don't recall it ever being done. I think there was a thing where both ships had to be travelling the exact same speed.

The main shipyard was always the Utopia Palnetia (spelling?) ones on Mars. I think that's where all the Enterprises were built in the original timeline.

That's new. There was never an explanation before. I quite like it.

-Why was Spock's mother in that Vulcan High Council cave? She's an Earthling, not a Vulcan!

Because she's Sarek's wife.

I've only seen the film once, but honestly I didn't think that the ship Kirk was staring at was the Enterprise-- just another Constitution class vessel under construction. Did it say anywhere that it was the Enterprise (I'd think they'd apply the name at the ship's completion).

Oh, I have a question for Trekkies too. Is the Enterprise considered a warship, or an exploratory vessel? I remember in Star Trek III a Klingon crewman referring to Enterprise as a "Federation battle cruiser." The reason why I'm wondering is that it seemed that in the movies (particularly II-VI), the Enterprise is portrayed definitely as a warship, which seems to conflict with the shows purpose and "Space: the final frontier..." opening message.

I think starships get their final names after they're completed. During construction, they're just known as registry numbers. That would mean all plaques, decorations, and other customization features are added after the ship's completed, before it's christened. It's not like they've shown any custom marble brickwork in the conference room floors that say "Enterprise."

I believe that the Constitution class vessel debuted at the end of Star Trek IV was going to be called something else, because its construction would have begun long before the original NCC-1701 was destroyed at the Genesis planet (depending on how long it takes to build a starship, something they never really say, but let's be real here, it's not quick). But because Kirk and crew saved Earth and other races with their humpback whale gambit, they were rewarded with that ship renamed the Enterprise, NCC-1701-A.

During the time of TOS, most Starfleet vessels were Constitution-class, but basically because the TV crew couldn't afford too many different models and because it makes sense that ships of the same fleet look the same/similar. So yes, the ship at Riverside, Iowa could have been another Constitution class.

The Starfleet ships are considered exploration vessels on missions of peace. But Starfleet knows all about the dangers in space, so they are armed to the gills as they need to be to stand their ground and defend against more hostile races. Note that Starfleet usually does not shoot before introducing itself; the weapons are plan b. I don't recall the Enterprise firing its weapons at all in The Motion Picture, but from II through VI, it and its successor fought in several space battles. Chalk it up to Roddenberry's message of peace and love taking a backseat to the Enterprise needing to save the day. Besides, I imagine the concept of a peaceful ship is beyond a Klingon warrior's comprehension, so they consider them battle cruisers. If anyone knows about the battle prowess of Kirk with the Enterprise, it is the Klingons.

The main shipyard was always the Utopia Palnetia (spelling?) ones on Mars. I think that's where all the Enterprises were built in the original timeline.

Sorry to be a bug, but I answered this. The parts to the NCC-1701 were built at San Francisco on Earth but assembled in space. I believe they even call it the San Francisco Fleet Yards. The original, the -A, the -E, and the Excelsior were built here. NX-01 was also built in an orbital spacedock over Earth. I think only a novel tells where -C was built.

The USS Enterprise-D (NCC-1701-D) was built at Utopia Planitia, where all the Galaxy class vessels were built, including:

* USS Galaxy (NCC-70637)

* USS Yamato (NCC-71807)

* USS Odyssey (NCC-71832)

* USS Equinox (NCC-72381)

* USS Defiant (NX-74205)

* USS Voyager (NCC-74656)

* USS Defiant (NCC-75633) (aka USS São Paulo)

o At least 2 Galaxy-class starships

o At least 2 Saber-class starships

o At least 1 Akira-class starship

o At least 1 Excelsior-class starship

I remember in Star Trek III a Klingon crewman referring to Enterprise as a "Federation battle cruiser."

To a Klingon, anything with a gun is a battle cruiser.