The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again wojo, your comment don't make any sense. Its a far comparison to wonder why Kirk would act like he does because in the Original series he wasn't some 50 year old, he was a 30 something, not that much different than a 20 something. Anyone whose watch Star Trek knows and expects Kirk to be a certain way.

I'm still trying to understand just what it was you tried to say with that post, because it makes very little sense grammatically.

I did not initiate the comparison of a 20 year old Kirk to a 50 year old Kirk. Olivier did. Let me restate some of it for you:

Abrams' young Kirk drives underage, is chased by a future CHiPS and sends an antique car crashing into a canyon; wow, wotta rebel. Yeah. Oh-hum.

Meyer's Kirk defeats Khan by planning ahead with Spock, applying the book's rule in his own manner, and reveals mischievously how he cheated his way out of a no-win simulation at the Academy. Now that's brilliant characterization, and it's all tied together within the plot.

Those aren't my words, Joey. Please direct your cynicism where it's due.

I don't even see the Kirk who crashes the car off the cliff as a 20 year old Kirk. I had to watch it again to be sure, but that was not Chris Pine. That was a 12 year old kid who (speculation) stole the keys to his dad's sportscar and took it for a joyride across the countryside, got spooked when a cop started chasing him, and either for kicks or to play chicken, drove it off a cliff and bailed at the last minute. At best, that is wonderful characterization because we all know later how close to death Jim Kirk always comes: he lives to cheat death, the no-win scenario, in which he doesn't believe. At worst, it establishes how immature Kirk is and how far he must climb to become a starship captain. I don't have a problem with either. Oh, and being from Iowa doesn't mean he stayed in Iowa his whole life. For all we know, that was a 23rd-century holodeck (because Enterprise blasted the canon by introducing them).

But after that, you don't see enough of Kirk's actions or dialogue in this trailer to make any kind of character assessment. He gets into a tussle with a quasi-belligerent Spock, that's all.

I can understand that a pre-Academy 20s Kirk should act closer to his TOS 30s, than in his 50s in the movies. But I should hope he matures to a degree during his years at the Academy, leaving the rebellious kid behind. If you want to see him the same going into the Academy as you already "know" he acts out of the Academy, why make him go to Starfleet at all? Being Jim Kirk by birthright is certainly not enough to make him Captain Kirk. That piece of paper alone won't make him a starship captain, so he'll mature over the course of this movie. A half hour or so will take place with him as a kid/early teens where the cliff wreck happens, then it'll cut to his late teens/early 20s when he joins Starfleet, then jump ahead another few years when he graduates and gets onboard the ship. Since the calm and collected Kirk of the Star Trek II exchange with Khan exceeds much of the tactics he showed in TOS ("The Corbomite Maneuver" comes close), chalk that up to more maturity and experienced gained through his 40s into his 50s. Or to just a really inspired script, the likes of which I don't expect to see again in Star Trek.

wojo I guess you're just not very smart then, because what I said does make sense grammatically. Yet instead you try to be a filty grammar nazi. Amazingly you did actually understood it enough "grammatically" to answer it. :) However once again you're wrong, the calm and collected Kirk doesn't exceed the tactics he showed in The Corbomite maneuvar, or those in Balance of Terror, Elaan of Troyius, Enterprise Incident, or the Doomsday Machine. If anything TWOK Kirk was less Kirk like in that he did get caught with his pants down. That was unexpected as Kirk is usually on top of such things.

You say a 1/2 hour takes place with him as a kid, do you have the script to this movie?

And with all this discussion is this an Orignal series crew makeover of an episode from the Next Generation about a rebellious young Picard?

Well if Joey thinks I'm stupid, I must be. I can't understand if you're really this big of a jackass in real life, that you honestly hate me, or if you're just doing this because you know that by pushing my buttons you can get a response from me.

Even though I'm a 12 year old kid living in my mommy's basement who has to ask my daddy for the password to use the internet, I'm still smart enough to decipher pretty bad grammar. Sieg heil. Again, my dragging through the mud of Kirk's tactics in TWOK came as a result of dissecting Olivier's argument at the top of page 20, otherwise I would not have brought them up at all. Sometimes a good tactician is not able to always be in complete control of a situation. It's how you save face after being caught with his britches down, which he fully admits. His later tactics were still questionable because they resulted in the loss of the Genesis torpedo, too much Starfleet property and personnel, and his best friend. His earlier tactics in TOS were better because they didn't lead to such catastrophic collateral losses; movie budgets like explosions and death sequences.

Let us at least agree that comparing Kirk's behavior as a teenager in Star Trek XI to his behavior in Star Trek II is like comparing Anakin Skywalker in a pod racer to Anakin Skywalker at the Battle of Hoth: completely ridiculous.

My speculations of the timing breakdown of how much time is spent in each epoch of Kirk's life was just idle speculation and conversation. It's apparent that some time is spent in each timeframe to set up the car chase as a kid, the pre-Academy barroom brawl and motorbike drive to the Enterprise in drydock, and then whatever rest of the movie is spent on the Enterprise in space. How much is not relevant at this time, which is why I said "half hour or so." That could mean anything.

Which show about the rebellious young Picard? The one where he, um, dies and goes to Q's version of "This Is Your Life"?

I think Nick Meyer had it easier than JJ Abrams. He only had to watch 79 episodes, whereas JJ Abrams had to watch a whole lot more. Which means he didn't watch as much as we think he should have. This isn't going to be DC Fontana for crying out loud.

His later tactics were still questionable because they resulted in the loss of the Genesis torpedo, too much Starfleet property and personnel, and his best friend. His earlier tactics in TOS were better because they didn't lead to such catastrophic collateral losses; movie budgets like explosions and death sequences.

Actually Picard and his cohorts from the later series caused more death and damage around the galaxy than Kirk could ever dream of.

I don't know if it was some sick fantasy on Berman's part or what but geez....

Hopefully, this film will give Hitch and I a multitude of more quotes to flood the board with.

I knew something bad would come of this.

Obviously a quantum singularity passing though this solarsystem is causing a temporal distortion in subspace.

You can use an inverse polaron emitter to correct for the anomaly.

I left my inverse polaron emitter in my other pants. What about a reverse tachyon beam?

Trailer is officially out.

After watching it a couple of times, and one frame by frame, I retract my previous comments. The only cheesy part is "My name is James Tiberius Kirk."

Other than that...it kicks ass.

I'm looking forward.

Yes, now that I've seen it in proper quality my reaction is more positive than earlier. I still don't like the way it's put together, but that doesn't mean what's in there doesn't look good. Being able to pause it to actually take stuff in helps.

The new Enterprise looks good in action, the effects overall look spectacular. I thought that shot of the Enterprise corridor looked a lot like the ones from TMP, just spruced up/modernized. Oh, and there is a quick glimpse of Kirk in a gold shirt, so that is going to happen at some point in the movie.

I still don't like the way it's put together,

In the end it's only a trailer, a disposable marketing product.

I don't like the way fanboys....yes, fanboys are demanding to have their needs met before even considering seeing this film in the cinema.

Maybe I'm getting old, but there was once a time when you watched a movie, and then tore it apart....

The Internet truly is the realm of the idiot!

BTW, I'm not attacking you John, we're cool.

I echo this. It's taking a little getting used to seeing someone else playing Kirk and Spock, but I'm keeping an open mind. However, I am getting a decidedly STARSHIP TROOPERS vibe from it, particularly the sexy scenes and some of the action bits. It looks good, but I'm curious about how faithful to Trek it really will be.

Still, bring on May 8th!

Can't forget one of the trailers for Star Trek: Nemesis.

Something about our time of judgment is at hand, followed by "the mighty Federation will fall." "I recommend extreme caution." Lines like that.

How much of that trailer ended up being cutting room floor garbage?

I still don't like the way it's put together,

In the end it's only a trailer, a disposable marketing product.

I don't like the way fanboys....yes, fanboys are demanding to have their needs met before even considering seeing this film in the cinema.

Maybe I'm getting old, but there was once a time when you watched a movie, and then tore it apart....

The Internet truly is the realm of the idiot!

BTW, I'm not attacking you John, we're cool.

No worries, I agree with you on this. We'll all have forgotten the trailer by the time the movie comes out, and we'll see if it lives up to all the positive buzz or if a major bitching session is in order. :)

This is November. The movie comes out in May. I see no reason to wait until then to start bitching. We should bitch a little bit each day, with a little more on the next day. By the time May arrives, the bitchball will be so big, nobody will remember what the movie's going to be about.

once again wojo, your comment don't make any sense. Its a far comparison to wonder why Kirk would act like he does because in the Original series he wasn't some 50 year old, he was a 30 something, not that much different than a 20 something. Anyone whose watch Star Trek knows and expects Kirk to be a certain way.

I'm still trying to understand just what it was you tried to say with that post, because it makes very little sense grammatically.

I did not initiate the comparison of a 20 year old Kirk to a 50 year old Kirk. Olivier did. Let me restate some of it for you:

Abrams' young Kirk drives underage, is chased by a future CHiPS and sends an antique car crashing into a canyon; wow, wotta rebel. Yeah. Oh-hum.

Meyer's Kirk defeats Khan by planning ahead with Spock, applying the book's rule in his own manner, and reveals mischievously how he cheated his way out of a no-win simulation at the Academy. Now that's brilliant characterization, and it's all tied together within the plot.

Those aren't my words, Joey. Please direct your cynicism where it's due.

I don't even see the Kirk who crashes the car off the cliff as a 20 year old Kirk. I had to watch it again to be sure, but that was not Chris Pine. That was a 12 year old kid who (speculation) stole the keys to his dad's sportscar and took it for a joyride across the countryside, got spooked when a cop started chasing him, and either for kicks or to play chicken, drove it off a cliff and bailed at the last minute. At best, that is wonderful characterization because we all know later how close to death Jim Kirk always comes: he lives to cheat death, the no-win scenario, in which he doesn't believe. At worst, it establishes how immature Kirk is and how far he must climb to become a starship captain. I don't have a problem with either. Oh, and being from Iowa doesn't mean he stayed in Iowa his whole life. For all we know, that was a 23rd-century holodeck (because Enterprise blasted the canon by introducing them).

But after that, you don't see enough of Kirk's actions or dialogue in this trailer to make any kind of character assessment. He gets into a tussle with a quasi-belligerent Spock, that's all.

I can understand that a pre-Academy 20s Kirk should act closer to his TOS 30s, than in his 50s in the movies. But I should hope he matures to a degree during his years at the Academy, leaving the rebellious kid behind. If you want to see him the same going into the Academy as you already "know" he acts out of the Academy, why make him go to Starfleet at all? Being Jim Kirk by birthright is certainly not enough to make him Captain Kirk. That piece of paper alone won't make him a starship captain, so he'll mature over the course of this movie. A half hour or so will take place with him as a kid/early teens where the cliff wreck happens, then it'll cut to his late teens/early 20s when he joins Starfleet, then jump ahead another few years when he graduates and gets onboard the ship. Since the calm and collected Kirk of the Star Trek II exchange with Khan exceeds much of the tactics he showed in TOS ("The Corbomite Maneuver" comes close), chalk that up to more maturity and experienced gained through his 40s into his 50s. Or to just a really inspired script, the likes of which I don't expect to see again in Star Trek.

wojo I guess you're just not very smart then, because what I said does make sense grammatically. Yet instead you try to be a filty grammar nazi. Amazingly you did actually understood it enough "grammatically" to answer it. :rolleyes: However once again you're wrong, the calm and collected Kirk doesn't exceed the tactics he showed in The Corbomite maneuvar, or those in Balance of Terror, Elaan of Troyius, Enterprise Incident, or the Doomsday Machine. If anything TWOK Kirk was less Kirk like in that he did get caught with his pants down. That was unexpected as Kirk is usually on top of such things.

You say a 1/2 hour takes place with him as a kid, do you have the script to this movie?

And with all this discussion is this an Orignal series crew makeover of an episode from the Next Generation about a rebellious young Picard?

Well if Joey thinks I'm stupid, I must be. I can't understand if you're really this big of a jackass in real life, that you honestly hate me, or if you're just doing this because you know that by pushing my buttons you can get a response from me.

Even though I'm a 12 year old kid living in my mommy's basement who has to ask my daddy for the password to use the internet, I'm still smart enough to decipher pretty bad grammar. Sieg heil. Again, my dragging through the mud of Kirk's tactics in TWOK came as a result of dissecting Olivier's argument at the top of page 20, otherwise I would not have brought them up at all. Sometimes a good tactician is not able to always be in complete control of a situation. It's how you save face after being caught with his britches down, which he fully admits. His later tactics were still questionable because they resulted in the loss of the Genesis torpedo, too much Starfleet property and personnel, and his best friend. His earlier tactics in TOS were better because they didn't lead to such catastrophic collateral losses; movie budgets like explosions and death sequences.

Let us at least agree that comparing Kirk's behavior as a teenager in Star Trek XI to his behavior in Star Trek II is like comparing Anakin Skywalker in a pod racer to Anakin Skywalker at the Battle of Hoth: completely ridiculous.

My speculations of the timing breakdown of how much time is spent in each epoch of Kirk's life was just idle speculation and conversation. It's apparent that some time is spent in each timeframe to set up the car chase as a kid, the pre-Academy barroom brawl and motorbike drive to the Enterprise in drydock, and then whatever rest of the movie is spent on the Enterprise in space. How much is not relevant at this time, which is why I said "half hour or so." That could mean anything.

Which show about the rebellious young Picard? The one where he, um, dies and goes to Q's version of "This Is Your Life"?

I think Nick Meyer had it easier than JJ Abrams. He only had to watch 79 episodes, whereas JJ Abrams had to watch a whole lot more. Which means he didn't watch as much as we think he should have. This isn't going to be DC Fontana for crying out loud.

Why would I hate you, I don't even know you, and if you are twelve then you should break it down gramatically for me?

Wow, that is strange. Nowhere on the site can you watch the new trailer in HD? Just the teaser?

Anyways, the trailer is growing on me. The "James Tiberius Kirk" line is horrible, but pretty much any line delivered by a kid actor is, so I can live with it. The rest looks pretty exciting and flashy. My only concern now is that it has some substance and isn't all Jerry Bruckheimer.

I like my eggs over easy and my coffee black, if you please.

But I will correct myself from earlier. The vanity plate on the red sportscar does say "Iowa." As for the cliff, it could be an abandoned strip mine or other kind of quarry. That explains the fence gate he drove through and the heavy machinery in the area, but all I can read on the sign is "DANGER" and "OPEN". The multitude of straight cuts in the cliff walls suggest they were man-made. There are a number of limestone quarries in Iowa.

I wonder if we will see any of Spock's youth as described by Mark Lenard, er, Sarek on the Inside Star Trek disc that came with Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

After looking at a high-res version of the trailer, it looks like Kirk is

banging an Orion girl (perhaps

this gal), and not Uhura

Nice to see it in high-res, BTW. Earlier in the day the HD links went to the Cloverfield trailer rather than this. ROTFLMAO

Well it's not at Jurassic Punk yet. All they would do is repost the same .mov file available at Apple's website, but as a download link.

Here's the link to their Star Trek XI site, which still offers just the teaser. They're usually a few days behind in getting them posted.

http://www.jurassicpunk.com/movies/startrekxi.shtml

I wish I knew how to help, but I've never used Linux. I think there are some open source Quicktime programs for Linux out there but I don't know.

As for Nimoy, I think that's something that Paramount wants to keep in the bag a little while longer, for the next trailer. There was enough in that trailer for two odd-numbered Star Trek movies. They're betting that the general public will still be surprised by the trailers, as opposed to spoiler-heavy magazines, so they can keep things somewhat hushed for later trailers. The nerds here will read every last datum of info so we have a rough idea about his role.

Thank's for the link Wojo, I'd like to be able to actually d/l it as well instead of just stream it.

As for Nimoy, I don't see any reason to keep him under wraps, everyone already knows. He was at Comic-Con and everything.

Good point. The teaser showed hints of the Enterprise with a recycled Nimoy voice-over. This trailer showed a great deal of the Enterprise in this trailer, so I suspect Nimoy will be in the next.

I do like that they listed the main cast in alphabetical order, rather than try to promote any one person as the star.

I've been visiting Jurassic Punk for trailer downloads since at least 2001 or so. Then I find that a year after I see the movie, I delete the trailer. Strange.

The 480 HD worked great for me. Even analyzing it frame by frame. I don't think either computer I use is powerful enough to enjoy the higher quality versions...yet.

going frame by frame it appears the enterprise rips through another ship,

Upon seeing the trailer...I don't know. Parts of it look like it could be good, but yeah, it's not the greatest cut trailer--it's too chaotic to really be able to pick anything apart. The cinematography looks quite good. Pegg's line was good and well delivered, but I'm not sure what McCoy was rambling about. I couldn't tell if he was serious or poking fun at someone scared of space.

And dude...in one trailer we see both Kirk and Uhura in their undies? Was it her he was with in bed? That's really not what I watch Star Trek for. Kirk's conquests should be known and not seen. :D

But ultimately, it is a tough trailer to get any substantial feel for the film. We'll see.

EDIT: Hey, cool, the battle of Coruscant's in this movie! :)

EDIT EDIT: And so is the rock monster! Digitize me, Fred!

REVENGE OF THE EDIT: I do like the "Buckle up" moment. The mannerisms are very Kirky, in a good way.

And dude...in one trailer we see both Kirk and Uhura in their undies? Was it her he was with in bed? That's really not what I watch Star Trek for. Kirk's conquests should be known and not seen. :D

It's not Uhura. Well, probably not.

EDIT EDIT: And so is the rock monster! Digitize me, Fred!

"You need to understand it's motivation. What does it want?"

This view of the new "Enterprise" (or Garbageprise as I like to call it) makes the ship look even more uglier.

214598454.jpg

Ya it looks similar to the TOS version but at the same time...blah. :D

This view of the new "Enterprise" (or Garbageprise as I like to call it) makes the ship look even more uglier.

214598454.jpg

Ya it looks similar to the TOS version but at the same time...blah. :)

Another reason not to see the movie then.

What kind of Trekkie are you if you aren't even gonna risk 9 bucks on the latest Trek film?

I noticed that, Joey. That looks intriguing, I didn't think she was tough enough to handle that. There's also another ship in a few shots that looks like a long gray oval with a blue circle in the middle hurtling through space, which I don't think was the Enterprise because you don't see any nacelles. I'll be interested to see what that is.

I'm not at all surprised to see that Bones is pessimistic about space travel in this movie. Always the country doctor.

That's not Uhura in bed below Kirk. The profile of the face is certainly not Zoe Saldana's.

Could the rock monster be JJ Abrams' way of realizing Kirk's dream of the unused rock monsters from Star Trek V? A rock monster in a Star Trek movie at this point just seems like a Galaxy Quest knockoff. I'd like to see that giant red Zerg monstrosity in greater detail.

One of the last shots in the trailer is of a blond haired woman whose face is in agony. Might that be Amanda? That's really going back to the beginning.

One of the last shots in the trailer is of a blond haired woman whose face is in agony. Might that be Amanda? That's really going back to the beginning.

No,

she's seen in the trailer with dark hair, holding a baby Spock with Sarek sitting next to her.

I noticed that, Joey. That looks intriguing, I didn't think she was tough enough to handle that. There's also another ship in a few shots that looks like a long gray oval with a blue circle in the middle hurtling through space, which I don't think was the Enterprise because you don't see any nacelles. I'll be interested to see what that is.

I believe that's the USS Kelvin that we see getting pummeled. Apparentley that's the ship that Kirk's father served on and according to what's been leaked plays an importan part early in the film