The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

This view of the new "Enterprise" (or Garbageprise as I like to call it) makes the ship look even more uglier.

214598454.jpg

Ya it looks similar to the TOS version but at the same time...blah. :shakehead:

Seriously? From that shot it looks EXACTLY like the Enterprise-A. You can't see any of the real differences, like the nacelles.

Fanboys...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of all the versions of the Enterprise it was the least appealing to me.

I don't know why people are complaining about the new version because the "D" tapers underneath towards the tail end as well.

Ya but the design of the Enterprise-D flows a hell of a lot better than the piece of turd that's being called the "Enterprise" for this new movie.

As I said even Rick Berman doesn't like the design too much. When you have someone who's done a lot of designs for Star Trek saying that he doesn't like it, you know it sucks.

Steef, I wouldn't waste $9 to go see this movie. I'd rather put that $9 to something else, like get food or something.

Roddenberry said he did not like aspects of Trek 6, still does not make it a bad film.

I respect Berman for saving TNG and co-creating DS9, but in the later years of his leadership of the franchise, the ship designs were seriously boring. The Enterprise from...Enterprise was dreary, it had no presence.

The Starship Voyager and The Defiant were the last really cool looking ships.

One of the last shots in the trailer is of a blond haired woman whose face is in agony. Might that be Amanda? That's really going back to the beginning.

No,

she's seen in the trailer with dark hair, holding a baby Spock with Sarek sitting next to her.

Pretty sure the other woman is

Mama Kirk

Ya but the design of the Enterprise-D flows a hell of a lot better than the piece of turd that's being called the "Enterprise" for this new movie.

As I said even Rick Berman doesn't like the design too much. When you have someone who's done a lot of designs for Star Trek saying that he doesn't like it, you know it sucks.

Steef, I wouldn't waste $9 to go see this movie. I'd rather put that $9 to something else, like get food or something.

Do you have a link to the Rick Berman interview where he discusses this? I know of a Rick Sternbach interview (here), but I didn't know Berman had made his opinions public regarding the new movie. I also don't remember Rick Berman doing many designs for Star Trek. Producing and writing yes, directing maybe, but certainly not designing. *shrug*

$9? Hahahahahahahaha. I bought a pair of movie tickets at $5.50 each that are good for one year, and I've already set them aside for Star Trek XI.

The least appealing Enterprise is the one in Enterprise.

By FAR THE BEST is the redesigned Enterprise for STTMP.

I look at a picture of it and then the new NCC-1701A from The Voyage Home and I think... I love you, and I hate you.

The B is a beautiful ship, the C is more of a warship to me, muscular, but still with nice lines.

D is beautiful in her own was as is E.

My problems with the reboot design is the back of the secondary hull, but since I've only seen the one picture I won't get all undone about it like Vosk. Once I see a 360 degree viewing of the ship, I will have a better opinion.

The TMP Enterprise and the Enterprise D were the most majestic of the bunch.

Indeed!

And the Defiant the most bad ass.

John- who couldn't give a squirrel's nut what Rick Berman thinks

Voyager was the worst looking of the main Star Trek designs. Even the NX-01 from that awful thing called a TV-show was better designed.

Rick Sternbach was eating cereal one day and said "Hey...what if I added nacelles to a spoon?"

Nah, it looked good, and it still had the classic Starfleet layout. Afterwards all their starships started looking stretched and squashed.

The B is a beautiful ship, t

The B was just The Excellsior with a bit of scafolding glued to it.

The Enterprise-A was by far the most appealing ship, probably in the whole series.

Recently they got too streamlined and too gunmetal to have any depth or appeal.

I'd rank them like this (because we all love rankings)

1) Enterprise-A

2) Enterprise-C

3) Enterprise-E

4) Enterprise-B

5) Enterprise D

6) NX-01

1,008,032,382) Voyager and Defiant on garbage patrol duty.

-D always looked cool from the side, from up front it looked dumb. All the others had a sort of majestic quality to them before they went all "modern."

Nah, it looked good, and it still had the classic Starfleet layout. Afterwards all their starships started looking stretched and squashed.
The B is a beautiful ship, t

The B was just The Excellsior with a bit of scafolding glued to it.

and it made all the difference in the world. She had a fine secondary hull.

Oh and vaderbilt the redesigned Enterprise was better looking than the A.

Yea, Vaderbait1, where is the original Enterprise on your list, too, let alone the overhauled original Enterprise of The Motion Picture?

And you can only have Voyager and Defiant tied for 1,008,032,382 if you can list 1,008,032,376 ships to come between them and the NX-01. Please, start counting.

Yea, Vaderbait1, where is the original Enterprise on your list, too, let alone the overhauled original Enterprise of The Motion Picture?

And you can only have Voyager and Defiant tied for 1,008,032,382 if you can list 1,008,032,376 ships to come between them and the NX-01. Please, start counting.

I'm counting all the trillions of ships ever imagined by any Trek fanboy. :blink:

Actually, leaving out the original Enterprise was a mistake on my part, and I hadn't seen the movies in a while and forgot the refit and the -A were actually a little different.

So I wasn't neglecting those two, just forgot. I'd rank the original Enterprise under the D and the refit next to the -A.

My friends, for a bit by bit analysis of the trailer, please visit this site. It's a British site so I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here. It offers screen grabs of the trailer as it discusses key bits, and not in order.

I believe the second photo is captioned wrong. Her bra has a funky pattern on it, it's not the plain white that Zoe Saldana wears earlier in the trailer, and is shown several rows below. Although both the Uhura undressing and Kirk making out are shown in what looks like the same bedroom, I'm sure every bedroom on the ship looks the same. The decorations on the nightstand beside the bed don't match between the shots, so I think they are different bedrooms. And the side profile of both the face and the chest don't match between Uhura and the suspected Orion. Though I think for some reason, Kirk ends up on the floor of a bedroom, if that means anything.

And Neil, the photo in the seventh row down might answer your question from above. I really think it is Nimoy, but with enough makeup, it could still be Quinto.

Ben Cross plays Sarak. His voice in the film is very much like Mark Lenard's, and he looks like him too.

That article was linked on Drudge today, with a picture from the trailer. I was tempted to post it here earlier to play a game of "spot the errors", 'cause the article's full of them.

It's not Uhura in that still. Maybe this is insensitive of me, but the woman with Kirk appears in the trailer is not black. Or at least, the lighting makes her look very not black and with a different face.

Saw a commercial tonight during Fringe. Probably just a shortened version of the trailer, but I haven't seen it yet as I want to see if it will be played infront of Quantum when I go see it again this weekend. Not really surprising since Abrahms is a creator of Fringe, but just a heads up.

Well you see, one had an "A" on it....

Actually, ILM changed the paint job on the Enterprise for TWOK, so even in that film, (when it wasn't re-using TMP footage) the Enterprise looked different (and not as good).

Neil

I'm going to assume you meant externally. Internally, the bridge and other internal deck sets changed from film to film, to indicate upgrades over the years, but the external models stayed pretty much consistent.

Enterprise Refit in The Motion Picture:

USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701)_in_spacedock.jpg

Enterprise Refit in Star Trek II:

Enterprise_under_attack.jpg

Enterprise Refit in Star Trek III:

Uss_enterprise_self_destruct.jpg

Enterprise-A in Star Trek VI:

800px-USS_Enterprise-A_quarter.jpg

All photos courtesy of Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.

I'm going to assume you meant externally. Internally, the bridge and other internal deck sets changed from film to film, to indicate upgrades over the years,

Actually, I believe in some of those films, the location of the Turbolift on the Bridge changes too, which should be impossible. (how does one move an elevator shaft)

Also the bridge at the end of Trek 4 looks completely different to that of Trek 5, even though both films are supposed to take place in a very short time frame.

The article about the Enterprise-A at the Star Trek Wiki (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Enterp...28NCC-1701-A%29) addresses that very issue, about how that ship used at least three different bridge modules during its period of use.

That would mean that the entire module can be removed from the top of the ship and replaced with a new one. This would include the bridge side of the turbolift door and shaft, which would somehow match up to the rest of the turboshaft coming out of the saucer itself. If that portion were standard on the top of the saucer (bottom of the bridge module), then the turbolift could open up anywhere inside the bridge module the designers wanted. Like if the bridge offers a custom turbolift extension cord attachment. The turboshafts could also be flexible conduits that can move around inside a void as needed, but voids of non-used space don't make sense on a very expensive starship where space is at a premium.

It's a very valid point, my friend, but I don't think the designers were really that in tune to things like that when they made the bridge for each movie. The bridge in IV looks very much like the bridge in I, with the turbolift door right about where it was in TOS (to Kirk's left as he sits facing the viewer). In V, it looks to be about in the same position, but in VI, it moves to the opposite side of the bridge (to Kirk's right as he sits facing the viewer). I also can't remember if there is one or two turbolifts to the bridge.

Canon might not be violated if this is a time travel movie, things that we see unfold might only unfold in a different time event.

There's also the theory that since time travel is involved they can say that history was slightly altered, giving Abrahms more freedom in (possible) future movies.

That's the only way. No one should believe them when they say this isn't a reboot. A franchise film is not made unless there is an intention to create sequels. If this wasn't a reboot, those sequels would have to fit into continuity and not challenge the TOS. Each sequel would go farther and farther from "canon." Therefore, this IS a reboot, no matter what they say.

It's a movie that takes place in the time frame before the Original Series, is part of the established universe and will mostly follow established cannon, but also might alter a few small things in the name of modernization and storytelling. Do we really need a single word definition that badly to sum it all up? Fine: it's a movie.

Again, Star Trek has already violated canon in the past. Why should this film matter?

If this film turns out to be successful then new voyages with the newly cast original crew will take place. And what will happen to the already established storylines?

As long as they keep the basics, which it looks like they are trying to do, I'll be happy.