The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

spocktrailmed.jpg

"I'm Leonard Nimoy and I approved this movie."

He's also approved Star Trek: TPM....

Nimoy had nothing to do with The Phantom Menace.

Neil

Neimoidian is an obvious reference to Nimoy. Duh.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see the Youtube video of Shatner's reaction to the trailer? It's pretty funny.

:lol:

CCZilla (1 day ago) "This video is more awesome than that entire movie trailer."

Star Trek VI would have been an exceptional movie had it not been for the terrible editing.

I loved all the TOS Movies. I, II, III, IV, V, VI.

Yes, even V, it wasn't a great movie...but you know what it wasn't a BORING movie. It was just bad enough to be entertaining.

The worst movies in my opinion are those that are neither good nor bad...just there, and Star Trek V was NOT just there.

No, I aprove of those.

I agree, they work fine. Wasn't there some other small change(s) made for the DVD release? My only quibble about VI is I can't get used to the funky aspect ratio.

There are enough good character moments in V, and the spectacular score, to make it worth watching every once in a while.

When VI was issued on VHS/Laserdisc there was some added footage that carried over to the DVD.

Extended footage of Scotty, Valeris & Spock having a conversation, extended footage of the Excelsior being hit by the shockwave, Rene Auberjonois giving his briefing to the Federation President and Starfleet command and there may have been something during the assassination attempt at the end.

What is wrong with the editing?

The whole opening sequence with Sulu and Valtane is badly done. He's at his seat on second, Sulu's side the next and then back at his own seat again. The whole movie is one big, bad continunity fiasco. They should have hired Peggy Robertson.

Yes, even V, it wasn't a great movie...but you know what it wasn't a BORING movie. It was just bad enough to be entertaining.

The worst movies in my opinion are those that are neither good nor bad...just there, and Star Trek V was NOT just there.

I agree that Star Trek V wasn't boring, I loved the movie as a whole that dealt with the Klingons, Nimbus Three and Sybok. However, once they got to the great barrier that's when it just killed the whole mood for the film.

I agree that Star Trek V wasn't boring, I loved the movie as a whole that dealt with the Klingons, Nimbus Three and Sybok. However, once they got to the great barrier that's when it just killed the whole mood for the film.

And they never let Shatner direct another movie again. Which is a great pity as he didn't do a bad job. I'd love for him to do his own Director's Cut if he is ever allowed to do it.

...Rene Auberjonois giving his briefing to the Federation President and Starfleet command...

Ah yes, one of my favorite lines. "Then, quite frankly Mr. President, we can clean their chronometers." Aberjoinois is a superb actor, seven years of him playing Odo was pure joy.

And they never let Shatner direct another movie again. Which is a great pity as he didn't do a bad job. I'd love for him to do his own Director's Cut if he is ever allowed to do it.

He certainly got the best out of the actors.

I really don't understand the love for Trek V and Shatner's direction. Everything seemed to be a caricature of real Trek. The Kingons were made to look like bad rock stars and far too much time was spent making fun of the characters - Sulu & Chekov getting lost, Scotty not knowing the ship, etc.

Back to the new trailer, I don't recall if it was posted here or not, but what was the music used in it?

I really don't understand the love for Trek V and Shatner's direction. Everything seemed to be a caricature of real Trek. The Kingons were made to look like bad rock stars and far too much time was spent making fun of the characters - Sulu & Chekov getting lost, Scotty not knowing the ship, etc.

"Admit it, ve're lost."

"All right, we're lost. But we're making good time."

C'mon, it's fun. The only really cringeworthy moment character wise was Scotty knocking himself out on a low bulkhead.

"How many times have I told ye, use the right tool for the right job!"

"I don't think I've ever seen him happier."

Back to the new trailer, I don't recall if it was posted here or not, but what was the music used in it?

Bryan Tyler's Children of Dune, again. Not Giacchino.

Regarding the Star Trek XI trailer the music used for it was from Brian Tyler's Children Of Dune.

Edit: John beat me to it.

"Reeee, reeed alllert"

"I just fixed that damn thing! Turn it off, will ya?"

The music used in the trailer is actually a new, longer recording of the cue from Children Of Dune and it sounds much better than Tyler's original version.

It's actually overlapping Children of Dune with "Down with the Enterprise" by Nick Phoenix. Nick wrote the cue specifically as an extension for "War Begins" for the trailer.

http://www.nickphoenix.com/index.php?page=mp3

Click "Down with the Enterprise" on the left to hear it.

I never understood the bashing of Star Trek V. I used to make fun of it a lot, but I saw it recently and overall, it's exactly what we like in a Star Trek movie.

The character interplay was amazing, lots of good one-liners, a sense of humor. The premise was a little out there, but this IS a show about exploring the unknown and such.

Not the best of the series, but it wasn't bad.

And I heard rumors they were going to let Shatner do a Director's Cut which is supposedly a much better film, but when Nemesis bombed they decided not to, which is sad. it's always interesting to see Director's Cuts, and sometimes they can completely change a film.

Star Trek V is mostly unwatchable, so cheap, so bad, and not in a good way that some here suggest. Only the scenes of loyalty to Kirk are not cringe inducing.

Star Trek V is mostly unwatchable, so cheap, so bad, and not in a good way that some here suggest. Only the scenes of loyalty to Kirk are not cringe inducing.

It's a charming movie at the very least. And it's much more than we can say of you Joey! ;)

It was a character movie, it had heart, so that counts for something. The core of the story, the main plot device of searching for a monotheistic god common to all worlds and cultures at the center of the galaxy, was a giant stinking rotten apple. So that hurt the movie. A crippled effects budget also showed that Paramount was not totally on board, so that hurt the movie. And naming the planet of this god by butchering the name of the actor you originally wanted to get to play Spock's brother, well that was just stupid. At least Goldsmith's score hit right on the money.

And naming the planet of this god by butchering the name of the actor you originally wanted to get to play Spock's brother, well that was just stupid.

Wait, what?

I think butchering's a bit harsh. Homage is a little more likely. I don't think (or hope) that it was a case of "Well, he turned down our film, so we'll name the EVIL PLANET after him."

The core of the story, the main plot device of searching for a monotheistic god common to all worlds and cultures at the center of the galaxy, was a giant stinking rotten apple.

I'm not sure about that. I think the way it played out wasn't great, and it would have been more interesting had Paramount not balked at the original ideas, but using the search for new life and new civilisations as a metaphor for discovering if there is a god is an interesting idea, and very Star Trek (as TMP is). The idea of obsessing over meeting your maker with the possibility of answering the universal question of "why?" is fascinating, and if done right, could have had great parallels to the way religion is used today. I just wish it was a lot more developed.

The plot is far to literal for it's own good. Since we know that The Enterprise can never really find God, there's no real suspense.

TMP handled it's questions about God and the meaning of existance in a far more interesting way.

God in Trek 5 is just The Wizard Of Oz in a Santa suit.

I'm not saying the concept searching for God or a god or gods is a bad idea. And you're right, it is very Trek in its nature. A number of TOS episodes pursued the same plot device, especially "Plato's Stepchildren," which suggested the Greek gods and goddesses were aliens from an Olympic paradise on another planet. And the idea was no stranger to later TNG episodes, not least of all the idea of Q or the episode where Picard stared down an impostor goddess. DS9 took the idea of Trek-based religions and ran crazy on it with the entire Bajoran culture.

But the idea of a single alien acting as the supreme monotheistic god to the primary religions of Earth, Vulcan, Romulus, and the Klingon Homeworld seems way too farfetched. That makes two very critical assumptions.

First of all, Star Trek prides itself on how it shows all Earth cultures working together for the peace and unity of mankind under the banner of Starfleet, and that's good. But it skirts around the idea of religion because if you show only one of them, it suggests that that religion beat all the others out for dominance on the planet, and that's absurd. Earth has never been dominated by a single religion and it never will be, especially not in the next 300 years. You either show them all, or you show none, and so Star Trek shows no Earthly religion. But along comes Sha Ka Ree as the alien influence of the Garden of Eden, and whamo, now you've just endorsed the three major Earth religions originating in the Middle East; what happened to all the other religions?

The second assumption, is that the other alien cultures have already progressed (or not) to the point where they only have a single religion. This may be easier to digest, as those cultures seem bent on a single ideal and thus could more easily unite under a common religion.

I know we're limited by what the writers and directors show us. Just because the camera doesn't pan over to the extreme right of a set doesn't mean it's not there, and I'm sure the writers didn't compare notes to see how "real" the plot of Star Trek V would be in the Trek universe. You're right, it's something that needed to be better developed.

I'm not saying the concept searching for God or a god or gods is a bad idea. And you're right, it is very Trek in its nature. A number of TOS episodes pursued the same plot device, especially "Plato's Stepchildren," which suggested the Greek gods and goddesses were aliens from an Olympic paradise on another planet.

It is off of your point, but aren't you thinking of "Who Morns for Adonis?"?

• 2 weeks later...

"Time travel." "Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet I swore I'd never get myself caught up in one of these god forsaken paradoxes." "The future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a big headache." - Captain Janeway.

Ugh. That article made me less interested in the movie. Sci Fi movies need like a 10 year moratorium on time travel stories.

Interview confirms what some of us had figured about the time travel. Basically, it's a reboot within the canon. Doesn't turn me off to it. It all depends on if we like the characters or not.