The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

Though I'm going on a whopping 2 lines of dialogue here... I'm really excited about Bones. Urban was probably the casting choice that most made me go "Huh?". Nothing against him—he's a fine actor—but I just couldn't see it. Now that I have, though, I think he'll be great.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the hyper editing in Star Trek is crap. pass me some ritilin.

I did like the Star Trek logo, old school, thumbs up.

And I've just lost all interest in Land of the Lost, other than the score. Will Ferrell? Ugh.

I'm more interested in the film with actually seeing some footage. Looks fun, Will Ferrell is not as good as he once was, but he's still hilarious if given the right material. This is a kids film, the last one he did was Elf, which was extremely funny.

I like Dennis Quaid, think he's a good actor.

He is a good actor, he's one I've liked seeing in movies. I agree though the trailer made him look like crap.

Dennis Quaid is a terrible actor.

And I've just lost all interest in Land of the Lost, other than the score. Will Ferrell? Ugh.

I'm more interested in the film with actually seeing some footage. Looks fun, Will Ferrell is not as good as he once was, but he's still hilarious if given the right material. This is a kids film, the last one he did was Elf, which was extremely funny.

Actually, the last one he did (live action, anyway) was Kicking & Screaming, which was atrocious.

I love Elf though.

Actually, the last one he did (live action, anyway) was Kicking & Screaming, which was atrocious.

I love Elf though.

Oh yeah I forgot about that lol. As long as Will Ferrell stays away from the foul humor and keeps it at an Anchorman type level, he's fine. I liked him in Melinda And Melinda as well.

well I will have to wait till its online cause Watchman looks so damn bad, I have no desire to see it.

12 weeks and 1 day till the reboot premieres.

Joe, wondering if the giacchino score will be leaked early.

Watchmen is actually not only the most celebrated graphic novel, but is one of the greatest pieces of literature from the 1980s.

But yeah, pure drivel right? <_<

Does it have to go into the mainstream to be validated? I remember hearing about Watchmen over ten years ago.

-Tom, who hasn't read it yet.

Forgive me, I used to be heavy into comics and graphic novels and frankly never heard of it until a few years ago.

My apologies.

It's been around for a quite a long time. But comic book crowd is not that big after all. I loved it. There's no way the movie could ever work. It could stick slavishly to the graphic novel, which is no good. For a film narrative, which pretty much needs to be in motion. And Watchmen is very static. It doesn't have much of a plot, in a film kind of way. Moore said that he tried to create a sense of "simultaneous event". All these points of views and flashback. The story itself is not very important or complicated. It's how many different elements connect that matters. So the only sensible way to do a mainstream movie like this is to stick to the plot. Which would screw up everything that the book tried to achieve. Either way, it will fail.

Karol

Does it have to go into the mainstream to be validated? I remember hearing about Watchmen over ten years ago.

-Tom, who hasn't read it yet.

Forgive me, I used to be heavy into comics and graphic novels and frankly never heard of it until a few years ago.

My apologies.

It's an honest question. Confederacy of Dunces was rejected by publishers for twenty years before seeing the light of day and winning the Pulitzer award.

So what is the plot of Watchmen? A bunch of superheroes get shoved out of society and systematically rounded up and killed off by some villainous agency? That sounds like a great plot for the third or fourth installment of a film series about superheroes that we've actually heard of or care about, like Superman, Batman, and Spiderman. But to apply that rationale to superheroes we're seeing for the first time, that only a small percentage of geeks worldwide have ever heard of or can identify with -- even if they apply a Forrest Gump-style plot of heroes through time affecting historical events -- seems too risky and controversial to go mainstream with...unless they hope to augment the story with a ton of gee-whiz-bang effects and big busts in skin-tight catsuits.

Yawn. Rental.

Let's just say there is no superhero action in there. It's mostly talking and flashbacks. An overblown (but still serious) drama using superhero cliches. Given the fact how much special effects they show in the trailers, the audience in general will be bored and disappointed, I'm afraid.

Karol

...seems too risky and controversial to go mainstream with...unless they hope to augment the story with a ton of gee-whiz-bang effects and big busts in skin-tight catsuits.

It'll have all that, and it'll be in slow motion to make it even cooler!!!!

yeah we'll save the movie with some cool slow motion. One thing is for sure the uber geek crowd may not get sex but they'll be creaming their drawers on March 6th. They won't know what happened but they'll be happy.