The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

It's the Q/Vash interplay that makes the episode worthwhile for me.

Yes, Vash was wonderful.

I'm still annoyed that they never did a TNG movie with Q. How obvious is that as a potential plotline? Sure, it diminishes the impact of "All Good Things..." a bit, but that could have been counteracted with, you know, good writing.

Should have done a Q movie, should have done a Klingon movie, should have done just about anything other than Insurrection and Nemesis.

What a waste.

Love me some Generations and First Contact, though.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generations annoys the hell out of me, some of its so poorly done. I like it, but like I said it annoys me.

an old bird of prey destroys the flagship of the fleet, come on. And if a member of the senior staff is kidnapped, you would automatically lock out all primary codes, do a system check on all "equipment" including Geordi's visor.

And as already mentioned, Picard gets beat up by Soran but Kirk doesn't, please.

its saved by the opening shots of the launch of Enterprise B, and the comradere of the crew.

And if a member of the senior staff is kidnapped, you would automatically lock out all primary codes, do a system check on all "equipment" including Geordi's visor.

That's a bit much. Lock out all the codes sure, but I doubt the Picard's first thought about Geordi being kidnapped is 'Gee guys, maybe we should check they haven't retuned his visor to act as a hidden video camera.'

yeah it should have been Charlie, after all the times over the previous seven season that someone was kidnapped and used. Plus after the Borg a rotating shield frequency modulation should have been standard. The BOP might have gotten one shot to hit but no more than one.

now thats one damn geeky post I tell ya.

Koray is a big boy, thats got to be Stefan and some drunk chick.

Generations annoys the hell out of me, some of its so poorly done. I like it, but like I said it annoys me.

Oh, I agree. The entire Kirk plotline is garbage, as is most of the Nexus stuff. However, during the moments when it's focusing on actually being a TNG movie, I think it's (mostly) really quite good. In some ways, I prefer it to First Contact. Not overall, but in some ways.

its biggest problem BB is that its just a mediocre episode, and coming so soon after All Good Things really doesn't help.

I like First Contact more than Generations. I agree with Bryant when Generations focused on the TNG part it was actually good. I don't think they should have brought Kirk and company into the movie.

its biggest problem BB is that its just a mediocre episode, and coming so soon after All Good Things really doesn't help.

Those things are kinda true, I guess. However, I think most of the character material in Generations is really sharp and focused and effective in a way that the series was at its best, and that the movies never fully captured again.

Generations is far from perfect, I just very much like the good parts.

And the bird you're referring to is Suzie Plakson, a right babe as a Klingon or a Q. And her character's name on TNG was K'Ehleyr (said the nerd).

Or Vulcan...

Suzie-Plakson---Selar.jpg

after listening to that all I can say is yuck, how bland and generic. But I'm not surprised afterall its Giacchino, the only thing original about his is the spelling of his name. Hopefully the picked the dregs and saved the good stuff.

It sounds like it's gonna be good. Not too sure about the drums though, they sound a little too synthy for their own good. The quality on the actual synth sample sounds bad.

It's moody, it's atmospheric. It doesn't sound like the most noticeable parts of TWOK, but the early part of this theme heard here is reminiscent of Spock's music or some of the romantic sounding music of ST II or III. Some of the dissonance sounds like it's trying to break through to the TOS theme, like in ST III after Spock remembers Jim's name. It also sounds much like Generations, but only because I can only recognize a snippet of what's probably a larger theme. I don't care much for the drums at 1:05 when they kick in.

It would be an interesting project to find scores that we all know and love, and find a 1:49 long snippet that, if played as a teaser, would make us think we would actually hate the score. Find 1:49 of bland John Williams in Star Wars, or bland Goldsmith in TMP, or something like that.

That's the thing, the lowest from the Jawa music in Star Wars or something like the fully ambient moments in TMP... Even those aren't bland.

There is some unremarkable music light on thematic material that LucasArts used for background music during the main portion of the game Star Wars: Rebellion. Some of it was from Approaching the Death Star, some was quiet music for the Hoth intro sequences, and I don't remember what came from Star Wars. It got bland after listening to it many times, but it's better than a lot of other films' underscore material.

So how come we are talking about the Star Trek score in this thread, but when I wanted to talk about the Lost Season 4 score in the LOST thread instead of the Giacchino thread, everybody yelled at me and said the discussion of it belonged in the Official Giacchino thread?

That's the thing, the lowest from the Jawa music in Star Wars or something like the fully ambient moments in TMP... Even those aren't bland.

Not in hindsight. But what if those passages were all we know of at a certain point in time?

I like that sample, reminds me of WoK.

You're obviously mistaken, it sounds absolutely nothing like The Wrath Of Khan. Maybe you aught to listen to The Wrath Of Khan again and then listen to this. They sound nothing a like. It doesn't sound like parts from Generations either.

So how come we are talking about the Star Trek score in this thread, but when I wanted to talk about the Lost Season 4 score in the LOST thread instead of the Giacchino thread, everybody yelled at me and said the discussion of it belonged in the Official Giacchino thread?

Jason, tell them to eff off. There's a current tendency here for a lot of people to think they're some sort arbiters of posting policy, and they don't know anything. They're fat losers who've melded into their chairs who have nothing to do with their lives.

The only people you need to listen to are Mr. Breathmask, Neil, and Ricard.

Trent, comparison is a form of metaphor, and it's more of an opinion than a raw fact. Stop condemning people's attempts at comparing an unknown work to a known work. When the complete score comes out, we can all sit around the campfire and discuss what it really sounds like, which will be itself. But if we want to sit here and say that this part reminds us of this score or that score, who are you to say otherwise?

Not in hindsight. But what if those passages were all we know of at a certain point in time?

That was my point. If you take the blandest parts of John Williams' most outstanding scores, put them onto a cassette, and give them to somebody in 1976 or early 1977, before the Star Wars craze hit the world, what are the chances that they would find them to be the most outstanding pieces of bland score they ever heard? Not too good, I'd say. It's not relevant how great we think they are today.

Nobody did that. You insisted that it belonged in the Lost thread rather than in the Giacchino thread. Obviously, it belongs in both, and the same is true in the case of this score.

Jason, tell them to eff off. There's a current tendency here for a lot of people to think they're some sort arbiters of posting policy, and they don't know anything. They're fat losers who've melded into their chairs who have nothing to do with their lives.

The only people you need to listen to are Mr. Breathmask, Neil, and Ricard.

whaaaaa, whaaaaaa, blume want a ba ba. :)

They're fat losers who've melded into their chairs who have nothing to do with their lives.

Your discriminatory attitudes toward overweight people are contemptible. I'm fat, and it doesn't really keep me from getting out of my chair or having a life. It apparently does keep me from prejudging people. What's your excuse for not managing to learn that little trick yet?

You should look at what Jason had to say in the discussion he's referring to. He was the one trying to police people all into one neat little box, just so he didn't have to go someplace he doesn't want to go.

Now, you being the superior being you obviously are, you feel free to tell me if I'm wrong ... but isn't somebody trying to stop the new Star Trek score from being discussed in a Michael Giacchino thread retarded? It seems obvious to me that the Giacchino thread is for people who are more interested in Giacchino than in Star Trek, and that the Trek thread is for people who are more interested in Star Trek than in Giacchino. You don't exactly need a doctorate to figure that one out. And if you're interested in both, well heck, you visit both threads.

That was my point. If you take the blandest parts of John Williams' most outstanding scores, put them onto a cassette, and give them to somebody in 1976 or early 1977, before the Star Wars craze hit the world, what are the chances that they would find them to be the most outstanding pieces of bland score they ever heard? Not too good, I'd say. It's not relevant how great we think they are today.

...but your argument is moot, because no sane person should judge a score based on 1 minute of music. Regardless, you can pass judgment on the 1:49 mins of music you DO have.

You should look at what Jason had to say in the discussion he's referring to. He was the one trying to police people all into one neat little box, just so he didn't have to go someplace he doesn't want to go.

Now, you being the superior being you obviously are, you feel free to tell me if I'm wrong ... but isn't somebody trying to stop the new Star Trek score from being discussed in a Michael Giacchino retarded? It seems obvious to me that the Giacchino thread is for people who are more interested in Giacchino than in Star Trek, and that the Trek thread is for people who are more interested in Star Trek than in Giacchino. You don't exactly need a doctorate to figure that one out. And if you're interested in both, well heck, you visit both threads.

Beautiful essay and analysis of the multiple-thread-related-to-one-thing-set-up-of-the-boards. Wait wait...you claim you have a life? :)

Though I suppose we post in a Star Trek thread, that automatically disqualifies us of life. :) Which is sad, because this movie might change our little nerdy world.

We're talking about it here because I posted the announcement here instead of the Giacchino thread for no particular reason whatsoever. Now can we talk about the score instead of whinging on about which thread it's in? Sheesh.

Again, I think the 1 minute clip is promising. If it had been at MovieMusic for pre-order, I might have ordered it. Which would have delayed my Mask of the Phantasm until May. I don't think so.