The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see the deleted scenes.

By the way I've picked up seasons 1-4 of TNG (Barnes and Noble buy 2, get 1 free sale until July 3) and I've already blasted through most of the first season. This is the greatest show ever.

By the way I've picked up seasons 1-4 of TNG (Barnes and Noble buy 2, get 1 free sale until July 3) and I've already blasted through most of the first season. This is the greatest show ever.

Just wait until season 3, when it actually starts to get good. ROTFLMAO I barely managed to get through the first season.

I have no problem with Wesley. He as a decent character, as most on the show were.

Perhaps because I was young when I first watched the show, he doesn't bother me most of the time.

He didn't bother me when I was younger, but when watching it again a year or two ago after a long break, I really couldn't stand him most of the time. The combination "naive kid" and "super genius" was just too cheesy to take him seriously.

One of the most shocking things about the first season is that pretty much everybody involved can't act. Not even Patrick Stewart, although he was the first to settle into his role. But it's painful to watch even him during the first episodes.

I cannot bring myself to care about any of the TNG characters...and I've tried on numerous occasions. =/

The show impresses me less and less with each passing year. Now Deep Space Nine, there's some characters worth caring about. Even Worf got about 100 times better when he joined the show.

I have a confession. I have never watched a complete TNG episode. I remember when the first episode was premiering on my local FOX affiliate, and I watched about 5 minutes and walked off. I'm not shut off to the idea of giving it another shot someday, it's just that every time I see it on my onscreen guide, it's not that first episode, and I think it might be too much for me unless I start at the beginning.

I have a confession. I have never watched a complete TNG episode. I remember when the first episode was premiering on my local FOX affiliate, and I watched about 5 minutes and walked off. I'm not shut off to the idea of giving it another shot someday, it's just that every time I see it on my onscreen guide, it's not that first episode, and I think it might be too much for me unless I start at the beginning.

I think it's best if you jump into one of the later seasons first. It's not hard to get a grasp on the crew, and the quality is so much higher, and it's not strictly episodical, unlike DS9, which amongst the Dominion and the Founders and the Klingons and the Vorta and the Vorta clones and who rules Cardassia, will give you a headache if you jump straight into season five or so.

I think TNG is just too bland. It takes Roddenberry's future vision at face value too much, and because of that the drama suffers. Picard is a great character and wonderfully played in the later seasons, but the people - Data aside - he's surrounded with don't match up. I think the show was best when it had an edge of science to it, the more 'seek out new life' episodes such as 'Darmok'. But it has its fair share of episodes as campy and ill-advised as the worst of TOS.

I think TNG is just too bland.

Agreed. Too sterile, too tepid. I don't feel anything for the characters or the music or the locations or the plots. TOS, for all its campy cheapness, makes me interested and invested in the characters. I want to see what they'll do next, how they'll react.

TNG can be a little dry at times, but it thankfully avoids the gaudy, obvious overemphasis on personal conflict, grittiness and a desire of wanting to be dark and "real".

The camera doesn't shake or move around when it does not need to, the music doesn't hit you over the face with Taiko drums, Zimmer like powerchords or synth cello and ethnic female wailing.

Looking back on TNG now, the series is remarkably story-driven compared to today's TV Sci-Fi.

And the acting doesn't hurt. :P

Some very interesting comments from Giacchino in the new Star Trek Magazine:

Q: Your approach to the score is very different from the John Williams template from Star Wars…

A: Quite honestly, that was the first direction we went in, and I had written several themes that were in that space opera kind of vein, somewhere between what Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams did, in that language of what we’ve all come to know as "space music." On every one of them, it felt right for a big space movie, but it didn’t feel like our movie. Again it goes back to the idea that we were trying to do something that wasn’t exactly what you had seen or heard before. We wanted to do something that was a little different ­ space movies don’t have to have this sound.

J.J. always wanted to make it about the character ­ he’d say that the theme for this movie can’t be polished, it can’t be soaring, it has to have an almost-unfinished feel in the way that Kirk is almost an unfinished character. He’s not a finished person ­ he’s getting there but he’s not there. He’s a little rough around the edges. J.J. wanted something that was somewhat sad, somewhat brooding. That is clearly not what Star Trek has been in the past, or Star Wars, or anything that would normally go in that direction.

I think he was absolutely right to say what he said and it really took the music in a different direction. We are dealing with the start of the relationships with these characters that we know so well. It’s a tough beginning for them, not an easy one. Any time we did try to be too heroic or too traditional, it felt wrong, and not true to what was going on emotionally in the story. Musically, had we gone in a direction that it had gone before, it might have felt hollow. It wouldn’t have felt like we were taking it anywhere different. I feel like it really needed to be treated differently than it has been the last 10 years.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/27/star-trek-...-star-trek-mag/

He's said the same thing in a few places...it sounds all well and good, but I don't think the music really lives up to those goals. The (very similar) reasoning that Zimmer and Howard provided for Batman Begins didn't make the music more enjoyable, and neither does this.

I beg to differ with many here. I happen to greatly enjoy the score, and it works perfectly with the movie.

The theme that is somehow "not a theme" is very good, and extremely catchy.

It is not a traditional Star Trek score, but that's because it is not a traditional Star Trek movie.

It is not a traditional Star Trek score, but that's because it is not a traditional Star Trek movie.

Exactly. I for one greatly enjoyed both the movie and the score. Looking forward to the next one now. :huh:

I beg to differ with many here. I happen to greatly enjoy the score, and it works perfectly with the movie.

I think more agree with you here than you think.

Count me among those who do. Giacchino's explanation wouldn't be worth anything to me if I didn't enjoy the music, but I do. It's hardly the most innovative thing to ever grace the film score scene, but it's catchy and it works.

He's said the same thing in a few places...it sounds all well and good, but I don't think the music really lives up to those goals. The (very similar) reasoning that Zimmer and Howard provided for Batman Begins didn't make the music more enjoyable, and neither does this.

Yeah but Giacchino is a much better composer than Zimmer and was able to pull it off.

Give TDK to James Newton Howard without Hans and Howard is able to accomplish the same thing.

I'm far from being a Star Trek fan, but I found this latest film to be much more "Star Warsy" than previous movies. It's an enjoyable movie, but the score sounds very pedestrian to my ears.

I feel like I'm the only who really doesn't like the new ST score. But that's okay with me.

It's obviously not true in the literal sense, but I would hope it'd be okay with you if it were! No sense in wanting other people to not enjoy a given piece of music.

It would have been great. It was Zimmerised to blend in with current film music

That is an insult to Michael Giacchino.

You may not think much of it and that's fine, but to even compare his music to Zimmer's is an insult.

It sounds nothing like anything remotely associated with Zimmer.

I agree with KM, the main theme sounds very Zimmerish to me (especially the first two phrases). The rest of the score not so much, but definitely the main theme.

I disagree, Mr. Olivarez; I definitely hear a slight Zimmerlike edge to the main theme, especially the first two measures. But I see nothing wrong with that. The music is fun. Giacchino didn't go overboard with synths, nor did he blatantly rip off any particular Zimmer score (at least that I've heard). The score works just fine with the film and as an independent listening experience. And it has quiet moments that don't resort to mere droning.

I disagree.

I agree.

I have no opinion one way or the other.

Why don't you agree to disagree ?

I'm uncertain.

That is an insult to Michael Giacchino.

You may not think much of it and that's fine, but to even compare his music to Zimmer's is an insult.

It sounds nothing like anything remotely associated with Zimmer.

I'm starting to think we're the only ones hearing this straight.

Reading that interview makes me look forward a lot to Star Trek 2, if it's done by Giacchino.

Also, I don't understand why everyone has a problem with the main theme, I think it's wonderful.

Reading that interview makes me look forward a lot to Star Trek 2, if it's done by Giacchino.

I'm looking forward to it, as well. My hope is that he'll take a similar direction, but...even better. :)

I don't understand why everyone has a problem with the main theme, I think it's wonderful.

I think each side sees itself as the minority. :P Truth be told, there are a lot of people on this board who fell in love with the score and that theme in particular, and there are a lot who were really underwhelmed by it. Neither side really seems to be dominating overall, as far as I can tell.

I disagree, Mr. Olivarez; I definitely hear a slight Zimmerlike edge to the main theme, especially the first two measures. But I see nothing wrong with that. The music is fun. Giacchino didn't go overboard with synths, nor did he blatantly rip off any particular Zimmer score (at least that I've heard). The score works just fine with the film and as an independent listening experience. And it has quiet moments that don't resort to mere droning.

I used to hear the Zimmer quality to the first two measures, but I just can't anymore. It's just too far removed for me to be able to even go there.

-Ben, sittin' pretty with a case of Andorian deja vu.