• Babel

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Brokeback was more of a travesty.

Babel was nominated with a bunch of weak scores so it didn't matter who won. Geisha was a legitmate Oscar worthy score by Williams.

Babel was nominated with a bunch of weak scores so it didn't matter who won. Geisha was a legitmate Oscar worthy score by Williams.

I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't really care who won this year, I just had vague hopes that it wouldn't be Santaolalla (and don't you know it, that's what happened ;) ). I didn't even watch the Oscars this year, I learned the results on this thread.

But last year . . . not only did I watch it, I was on the edge of my seat when the Best Score was about to be announced. I wouldn't say Brokeback was worse than Babel, IMHO, they're both equally bad. And Geisha is most certainly better than anything Santalalla will ever write in his remaining life.

I voted for Babel. Brokeback was a more original score and a far better film. But a good point has been raised by Mark - this year's competition was far weaker so maybe last year's travesty was bigger. And I guess that's the whole point of the poll. Whoops. Still, back to back wins from G.S. is a travesty in and of itself.

CYPHER

I voted Brokeback. Munich was easily the best score nominated that year. This year was poor - very poor - but for Munich to lose to that shite was unbelievable.

I voted Brokeback. Munich was easily the best score nominated that year. This year was poor - very poor - but for Munich to lose to that shite was unbelievable.

So you think Munich was better than Geisha? On that point, I'm not so sure myself. At first I thought Geisha was way better, but the more I listen to Munich the better it gets. It's one of those scores that takes a while to sink in, so to speak.

Maybe the voters felt the same way -- that's why Brokeback ended up winning.

So you think Munich was better than Geisha?

Easily.

No, I'm sure Williams would have won if he had only ONE score up for nomination. The fact that both scores are nominated is what killed his chances.

But I can understand why he would submit Munich for nomination. The movie was nominated Best Picture, after all, and if that had won, chances for him would have been also good. But obviously Memoirs meant more to him, that's why he advertised it on The Tonight Show.

I wonder if people here would be so up-in-arms if Williams wrote a spare guitar score for a gay-themed drama...

And if this score would going to win the AA, the Academy most likely would be applauded for being so adventurous by the same people who now bitterly complain about Williams score XYZ losing.

At first I though Munich was a better score but Memoirs eventually surpassed it. They probably shouldn't have nominated Munich but since it was up for best picture I can understand why.

Although Williams has won once before with two scores going against each other and both of those were two of his best.

I wonder if people here would be so up-in-arms if Williams wrote a spare guitar score for a gay-themed drama...

And if this score would going to win the AA, the Academy most likely would be applauded for being so adventurous by the same people who now bitterly complain about Williams score XYZ losing.

Williams would have written a better score than Santaolla in my opinion. The point is Geisha was a better score than Brokeback. The subject matter has nothing to do with it, at least for me it doesn't. I know some people are offended by the subject but I don't care. I don't think a majority of the people are criticizing the actual film, it's the music they don't like.

I very seriously doubt Santaolla could have written an effective score about a Japanese Geisha

I've heard Good German and some of Pan's Labyrinth - both greatly impressed me, and were in a different galaxy to Santa's shite.

I actually didn't mind too much who won this year, as long as it wasn't Santa, although I was rooting for Newman.

Babel was nominated with a bunch of weak scores

Nonsense. Total nonsense. I've heard three of the nominated scores, all were terrific, and the one I haven't heard seems promising.

But that's your opinion which I could call total nonsense as well.

I've heard the other nominees, I keep hearing the Eiger Sanction in one, and they do not impress me. This year's best score field was weak and nothing you say will change my mind.

I think the uproar wouldn't be so great if Santaolalla had actually already proven to be a good composer, with a bunch of great scores under his belt. That poeple don't always win for their best work is normal, and I don't have much of a problem with it, as long as the people themselves have proven worthy of being awarded.

I think the uproar wouldn't be so great if Santaolalla had actually already proven to be a good composer, with a bunch of great scores under his belt. That poeple don't always win for their best work is normal, and I don't have much of a problem with it, as long as the people themselves have proven worthy of being awarded.

Well, that's the point, isn't it?

Santablabla really has no responsibility for the AA-choice and still people mostly bitch about him, respectively his work, even if it's between-the-lines.

I don't have any opinion on his scores, since i haven't seen either film, but i doubt it's the catastrophe some posters make of it.

I don't have any opinion on his scores, since i haven't seen either film, but i doubt it's the catastrophe some posters make of it.

Oh, it's a catastrophe!

I don't know what the greater travesty is, Brokeback Mountain starting the Gustav- o- mania, or Babel cementing it.

Is it just me or did Santaolalla not even seem to be surprised or moved by his win? That's just what we need, voters who don't care, and composers who don't give a damn. That way, at least everyone's happy.

We're lucky that Santa only comes once a year; but apparently, that's enough. Even the real Santa has the decency to bring a different gift each year.

We're lucky that Santa only comes once a year; but apparently, that's enough. Even the real Santa has the decency to bring a different gift each year.

;);):lol:

Exactly.Imagine how good composers who have been around for years and nominated many times must feel.Not only Thomas Newman.It seems that Santaolalla is either incredibly lucky scoring the right movie at the right time or made lasting connections with the people who make a difference in winning this award (because of the movie he scored last year?) .I still refuse to believe he won out of pure talent

But that's your opinion which I could call total nonsense as well.

I've heard the other nominees, I keep hearing the Eiger Sanction in one, and they do not impress me. This year's best score field was weak and nothing you say will change my mind.

You think I disagree with people loudly with intent to change their minds? I'm very happy there are different opinions here, and I'm srue ntohing I say will change your mind. It's all those who are listening in that I'm trying to convince. Since it would be a real shame if they missed a score as original and brilliant as The Queen, or scores as entrancing as The Good German and Notes on A Scandal.

You think I disagree with people loudly with intent to change their minds?

Isn't that all part of a good debate? ;)

I mean you can't change everyone's mind, reading thru alot the posts here would prove that, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Babel was the bigger injustice. As I was watching the movie, I did not know GS was the composer, but the music was easy to recognize. It sounded very much like "Amores Perros."

Yes, it was an injustice for it to beat two fantastic Williams scores and a very nice score for Pride and Prejudice, but the win was understandable given the film's exposure.

As for Babel, I don't know how voters didn't pick up on the similarities, and how they didn't find more pleasure in listening to music from "The Queen" and "Pan's Labyrinth". But, now four days removed from the announcement, three things come to me:

They voted for Babel's score because GS had to blend four stories on three continents. I will admit he did that.

They voted for the score not knowing GS was connected, that he won last year and that he just played the same music as before on different instruments.

They gave GS the award to honor all the work he's done with Alejandro (three films), not really knowing that the music and instrumentation is pretty much the same.

I'm starting to reconcile that the average Academy member doesn't think much about music quality. They don't study the particulars of the notes as we do, and probably judge other categories the same way. But it was a travesty that they did what they did this year.

Now I know how I would have felt if I was watching the Oscars the year they gave Herbie Hancock his Oscar.

I may be dead wrong in my thinking (it wouldn't be the first time) but perhaps another reason might have to do with the new influx of younger academy members.

As older members have passed on, perhaps the newer ones don't appreciate old school film scoring and much like the movies they make, want something plain and simple or want their music to basically be wallpaper.

But I can understand why he would submit Munich for nomination. The movie was nominated Best Picture, after all, and if that had won, chances for him would have been also good. But obviously Memoirs meant more to him, that's why he advertised it on The Tonight Show.
I doubt Williams himself put Munich up for nomination.

In the weeks before the Oscars, Williams was very active plugging Memoirs, not munich.

Well, even if he didn't, I'm sure he's got some say in it.

Studios and/or producers lobby for movie nominations / wins, rarely the artists themselves.

Munich was distributed by Universal Pictures while Geisha was distributed by Sony Pictures. Both studios were lobbying for their respective movies.

As a side note, checking out Variety or The Hollywood Reporter around the awards season gives a good idea of how a stupid or bad movie/score gets nominated... it's called clever PR and intensive advertising :)

Hellgi

As older members have passed on, perhaps the newer ones don't appreciate old school film scoring and much like the movies they make, want something plain and simple or want their music to basically be wallpaper.

Well that is certainly true. You see very fewe young directors who like big symphnoic scores. Which is why I cherish the ones we get (like the three other nominated score I heard in the films- nice and loud, while not overwhelming the movie).

Most definantly Brokeback. Not that Babel was the better score, but that Geisha was just that good.