John Williams 2007 Boston dates announced!

Foxfan

http://www.bso.org/listB/printschSeasons.j...es&area=sch

I'm a little disappointed by the HP saturation though (it's been played way too many times in the past few years). I was hoping for a broader range of Williams' repertoire due to his 75th anniversary.

Also they're putting the tickets on sale almost right away (March 5)! That doesn't leave me much time to decide. I've been every year in the past four years, but if it's just HP I'm not too sure.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Tuesday through Saturday. Does he usually do so many performances? Anyway, sounds great to me....maybe this will be the year for a Boston reunion!

Ray Barnsbury

Yet another chance for someone to record good sounding versions of unreleased HP concert versions

Most of the Pops concerts are broadcast live on the radio in Boston, so there's no point of sneaking a cheap recorder in when someone can just record a high-quality stereo broadcast of it.

Right now I just hope it won't be the same program (with tributes to other composers) as the one at Tanglewood. I mean, come on, this is Williams' 75th anniversary! The tributes need to be to him! It would be nice to hear stuff rarely performed, like Earthquake, Heartbeeps, Monsignor, etc.

Yes! John Williams could not have picked a better date, its a few days after my birthday so hopefully i can convince my parents to get me some tickets for my birthday....for the next fifteen years.

As I recall, the tickets weren't very expensive when I went. Around $25 I think.

Ray Barnsbury

25 for second balcony. unfortunately they really jacked up the orch seats ($85)

I tend to enjoy sitting higher anyway, so I can see the whole orchestra. Although, I guess at Symphony Hall you get to eat/drink if you're on the orchestra level.

Ray Barnsbury

My problem with balcony seats is that all too often the brass drowns out the strings. Also, I once sat right at the front-right corner of the 1st balcony for the best view, but the sound was horrible (big tuba blaring straight into my ears, drowning out everything else).

Although, I guess at Symphony Hall you get to eat/drink if you're on the orchestra level.

Who says you can't on the other levels? Just stuff some beer and nachos under your jacket!

Reminds of the good ole days when mom used to stuff her oversized purse with soda cans and homemade popcorn to sneak into the movies.

Also, I once sat right at the front-right corner of the 1st balcony for the best view, but the sound was horrible (big tuba blaring straight into my ears, drowning out everything else).

That sounds like where I sat the second night when I went in 2004. I was so enthralled with being so close to Williams conducting the Pops that I didn't notice/care about any sound issues.

Ray Barnsbury

Cool beans. My birthday is the 19th of May, so I may have to convince someone in my family to get tickets to this as a gift. Either way, I may have to treck up to Boston this year for this concert (Probably the Saturday concert) even if it means by myself. Although my decision may depend on the program selections. From Philadelphia, the drive may be like 8 hours, but it would be worth it. Unless I just fly. Regardless, it's a lot more convenient than what most JWFanners would have to do (not to rub it in :P)

Tim

Well, I didn't want to take any chances, so I bought my tickets for the Saturday concert. It's too bad they didn't have $40 row A and B orchestra seats available like they did last year. I didn't want to get $85 tickets since I'm still not sure if I'll be able to go, so I ended up getting 1st balcony seats close to the front, but on the left this time so the tuba won't bother me. :|

Anyone else coming this year so we can have another JWFAN reunion?

Hello, my name is Todd and i am a huge John Williams fan. I am a College freshman right now, and really am trying to go see JW in Boston in May. I've never been to a JW concert before, so i really don't know what to expect. I know the music will be good, though! My question is....I am willing to pay the 85 dollars for orchestra seats, and right now the BSO website has me "in seats": Section- ORCH 6, Seats:5;ORCH: 4,Seats:1. My first qestion is...these two seats are right next to each other right? I'm going with my mom, and I do actually want to sit next to her. Secondly, is the sound from the orchestra good? Is it even? And one more...if I were to try to meet John Williams after the concert, how would I go about doing that? Thanks!

-Todd

Welcome to the club.

Yeah, the sound inside Boston's Symphony Hall is terrific (rated as one of the top three in the world)! ORCH level is best place for sound (as the brass doesn't drown out the strings there like it does in the balconies).

As for meeting JW, everyone waits on the right side of the hall after the show. He often does come out to meet fans but it isn't guaranteed.

Don't forget the outside entrance where Williams comes in. That's where we met him in 2004. I don't know the building well enough to explain exactly where that was, though. Anyone know for sure?

Ray Barnsbury

I bought my tickets earlier, between classes, so I had to be kind of quick. They are on the left side of the first balcony. My seats are:

Row: C

Section: 1B CT

Seat(s): 29 -30

What do you think of those seats?

Thanks!

-Todd

PS- Off to the "Welcome Board". I never formally introduced myself! bowdown

I don't think there are probably any bad seats at Symphony Hall. I'm no expert, but your seats look fine to me. I'm sure you'll enjoy the concert regardless of where you sit!

Ray Barnsbury

I know I did! As of now, I have no idea...I sure would like to, but I'm graduating in April and hoping to have a job lined up by then. It would depend on my availability as far as the whole job thing goes. When do tickets usually sell out by?

Ray Barnsbury

I'd like to go but since I live in California now it'll have to be a planned trip rather than walking up Mass Ave like last year to catch 4 of the 6 concerts ... if people would like to make this a reunion I will be on board.

I'll be happy to lend my modest degree of expertise in scoping out Symphony Hall given my success last year...

I haven't decided which day(s) I going to the concert(s) yet. But I'll probably go twice again.

He is usually in a hurry on the way in, so the best bet is to wait around after the concert (an hour or more) for him to appear. He comes to the northeastern door on the inside of the hall. Most days he is too tired to take pictures / sign things. Some days he does though. If you are really lucky, and there aren't many people waiting, he will take you up to his changing room / office!

-Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up! The BSO has just made the $40 front row orchestra seats available (i just bought two)! For those who haven't bought their tickets yet (or who want to upgrade), this is your chance to be right next to John Williams! It would be nice to have all us JW fans sitting at the same tables.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The BSO has now released a partial program!

http://www.bso.org/itemB/detail.jhtml?id=2...22&area=com

After the classic Hermann tribute and Harry Potter as indicated, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF! SUPERMAN! STAR WARS! JAWS! ET! (as part of a tribute to Lucas and Speilberg). HOOK??? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! SOMEONE here must have seen it! I'm just curious about the Lucas/Spielberg part. Do they actually play entire pieces or is it just a few seconds of each like that disappointing time at Tanglewood when Groban was there?

Any Hook??? :)

It was a great concert! I went on opening night (May 22)

Program was, if I can remember correctly...

Fanfare for a Festive Occasion (Never heard this before in concert!)

Bernie Herrmann Suite: Citizen Kane Newspaper Montage, Vertigo Scene d'Amor, something from Currier & Ives Suite, Psycho Suite (w/ footage), North By Northwest Main Title (w/ montage of Hitchcock scenes).

(intermission)

Hooray for Hollywood (Such a great Williams arrangement)

Carousel Suite

Fiddler on the Roof Suite (Fantastic Williams arrangement, some bravura violin passages from Tamara Smirnova)

All that Jazz from Chicago

(intermission)

Superman Theme

Harry Potter: Fawkes the Phoenix, Nimbus 2000, Harry's Wondrous World

Lucas/Spielberg Tribute (all with cute clips from movies): Jaws Theme, Star Wars Main Title, Raiders March, Flying from E.T.

(instant standing ovation)

Encores: Luke & Leia, NBC Mission Theme, Stars & Stripes

Overall a wonderful show, with a really enthusiastic audience. I was doing my fair share of hooting and hollering the whole time, of course. Williams was as charismatic and genial a conductor as usual. He told some film scoring anecdotes about himself, Hitchcock and Lucas that really had the hall in stitches. If you've never seen JW in concert, you really must find a way to attend one of these! This was my 10th (almost straight) JW with the Pops!

OK, so the tribute had the full pieces played, right?

The encores sound great! Never heard NBC theme in concert, and Stars and Stripes is always great because of his interaction with the audience.

One thing that puzzles me is why he didn't just throw Schindler in the Spielberg tribute. Then all five of his oscars (Fiddler, Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Schindler) would have been played in the same concert.

Nevertheless, sounds great!

It was a great concert! I went on opening night (May 22)

Program was, if I can remember correctly...

Fanfare for a Festive Occasion (Never heard this before in concert!)

Bernie Herrmann Suite: Citizen Kane Newspaper Montage, Vertigo Scene d'Amor, something from Currier & Ives Suite, Psycho Suite (w/ footage), North By Northwest Main Title (w/ montage of Hitchcock scenes).

(intermission)

Hooray for Hollywood (Such a great Williams arrangement)

Carousel Suite

Fiddler on the Roof Suite (Fantastic Williams arrangement, some bravura violin passages from Tamara Smirnova)

All that Jazz from Chicago

(intermission)

Superman Theme

Harry Potter: Fawkes the Phoenix, Nimbus 2000, Harry's Wondrous World

Lucas/Spielberg Tribute (all with cute clips from movies): Jaws Theme, Star Wars Main Title, Raiders March, Flying from E.T.

(instant standing ovation)

Encores: Luke & Leia, NBC Mission Theme, Stars & Stripes

Overall a wonderful show, with a really enthusiastic audience. I was doing my fair share of hooting and hollering the whole time, of course. Williams was as charismatic and genial a conductor as usual. He told some film scoring anecdotes about himself, Hitchcock and Lucas that really had the hall in stitches. If you've never seen JW in concert, you really must find a way to attend one of these! This was my 10th (almost straight) JW with the Pops!

Wow, they inserted a standing ovation in the program too! Haha... Sounds like it was a decent performance. I think JW is starting to run out of ideas for his concerts though. He's been conducting that same Bernard Herrmann sequence for several years now, it's starting to get old (or at the very least, predictable) regardless of how much I love the music. And for the most part, he tends to pick the same few pieces from Harry Potter (Didn't the BSO website make it seem as though Harry Potter was going to be more prominently feature than what was actually in the program?). I'm glad they played Stars and Stripes at the end. Williams hasn't pulled that one out in a long time, but considering his standard encore selections were included in the Lucas/Spielberg montage (which is becoming another concert staple - I'd prefer the full renditions), there probably wasn't much else to finish the concert with. Speaking of encores, I think it's funny that he tends to choose Luke and Leia. It seems like one of the least recognizable themes from the saga (at least to the "general" public). That's cool that the Fanfare was performed though, and one thing that doesn't get old for me is that virtuoso Fiddler arrangement.

In case you haven't noticed my other post, I am selling my two extra tickets. PM me for details! :lol:

Hey All! I got back from Boston a few days ago, and let me tell you, I had a great time. I’d never been before. I went to see John Williams on Wednesday night. Great program. I loved the selection of music, although I wish that Williams played the full pieces during the Spielberg/Lucas tribute. After the performance Wednesday night, I went to the outdoor stage door. There were about 15 other people. About 40 minutes later, a security guard came to the door and told us JW had left through the indoor stage door, and didn’t feel like meeting with anyone, because he was tired. I was disappointed, but I had one more night in Boston. That next night, I went back around 9:30 PM, just to see if JW would come out. We were told by both the Security Guard and John Williams driver (Papino) that JW would be really late that night, because he had meetings, as well as the fact that someone wanted him to watch a film. So, we waited, still (quite stubborn), even though the chances were slim, and the security guards kept telling us to leave. Eventually, at about 11:30, John Williams came out. He walked straight up to me and said “Have you been waiting this long for me”? , with a grin on his face. I kind of stammered (I was standing next to my favorite film composer and the person who I’ve wanted to meet for years. He then signed my “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” CD cover, and then offered to sign the program, which I had brought as something hard for him to sign the CD cover on. I said:”yes”, and then asked him to take a picture with me. He happily obliged, and was really nice. The first thing I noticed was just how nice he was. For a man his age, he had to be tired after such a long day. The guard told us he came in at 6 AM that morning.

Anyway, that was my “meeting JW experience”. Anybody else sees the concert or meet John Williams?

That is quite a charming story! I also asked around and just everyone I spoke to said that Williams was quite busy and constantly in demand while in Boston.

My impressions of Williams were very positive, he looks to be in good health of mind and body. He was well recieved by the orchestra (you could easily spot their reverence for him) and of course the audience went simply mad for him during the composer's own works and his encore. His movement and conducting seemed to have strength behind it and in general he seemed to posess the body of a much younger man. Fortunately I had excellent seats for the concert and had a point blank vantage point of Williams at the stand. Several things were of interest to me. Firstly, on some of the Hermann works Williams actually made vocal noise, either humming a string passage here and there or blowing wind through his lips (quite loudly!) during an acceleration. Secondly when not conducting to picture the boston pops adapted the typical behind the beat classical response to the conductor's baton. This was very noticeable! Anyone who has seen a master conductor from the old school you can see how obvious this is. Especialy the love scene from vertigo was behind the beat, and very beautiful! While conducting to click the orchestra played right on top of JW's beat. JW adapted a considerablly slower tempo for Superman. And in general the orchestra played very squarely. All though you can make the argument the Boston Pops has more proficient players I enjoy the playing of the LA players better. I expect the NY players will be great when i see Williams later this year. Anyway it was a very nice concert, even though it was rather "lite" in its program. Not really exploring anything in depth, but touching on very many pieces