The Plainsman

Omen II

I had the pleasure of seeing this rather odd TV movie western from 1966 the other day. As I am sure you all know, it is one of only five oaters that our Johnny has scored (not counting episodes of TV shows) and the only one from which no soundtrack music is available.

What surprised me is that the music is really rather good, certainly on a par with JW's better-known score to The Rare Breed of the same year. From reviews I had read of the film I was expecting a real snoozefest but the movie passed the time amiably enough. As for the score, there are plenty worse that have already seen a CD release. There is quite a bit of 'mickey-mousing' in the earlier scenes, not something you usually associate with John Williams; there were parts of the score that reminded me a bit of Lost In Space in this regard.

The score does contain several stand-out musical sections, the best of which (IMHO) is a scene in which Indians attack a cavalry troop. The music is percussive and brassy, the kind of thing Johnny does better than anyone. The music builds and builds before careering away as the Indians thunder across the plains to attack.

The main title is very hummable and not marred too much by a wordless pop vocal chorus that betrays the film's 1960's origins (think Henry Mancini). At the very start of the film is more great music for a chase scene as Indians pursue Don Murray's character. Other highlights of the score are the music for a scene where Don Murray rides to plead with the Indians and a lengthy scene where he is tortured - very Towering Inferno with lots of percussion and irregular rhythms.

When I settled down to watch the film I was expecting a light and none-too-memorable score but by the end I was left thinking "How come no-one's recorded this score yet?"

Has anyone else seen this movie? If so, what did you think (of the film and the score)? I had to laugh when Leslie Nielsen appeared at the end as General Custer, sporting the most hilarious fake beard seen until they made Gettysburg.

Damien - who reckons Marco Polo should record The Rare Breed and The Plainsman and release them on one cracking double CD with a free plastic tomahawk sellotaped to the back and a foreword by Hilary Swank beerchug

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damien - who reckons Marco Polo should record The Rare Breed and The Plainsman and release them on one cracking double CD with a free plastic tomahawk sellotaped to the back and a foreword by Hilary Swank beerchug

I would be happy if someone relase the scores... I can easely live with the regular packing and even the absence of notes.