When Williams spins out some super-rich harmonies

AI

Im thinking of BOTFOJ. Dude can lay the chords on thick.

Dont' you love it when he does that? Any other examples..We are talking about massive chords, built up in a jazzy way.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The chords in the outburst of the five-note theme at the CE3K finale, particularly in subsequent re-recordings like the 1969-1999 Greatest Hits set, have always struck me as fantastically rich and brassy. Almost as if you can't even tell which notes are melody and which are harmony, but not quite. Love it!

Ray Barnsbury

I dunno, some of those string pieces are layered thick - see "The Immolation Scene" from ROTS and several parts of WOTW. Also, Memoirs has some very rich harmonies, such as the climax of "Confluence".

Catch me if you can middle section - really night-urban cool chords ( reminds me of Taxidriver ). Maybe those magic transformation chords about a third into Journey to the Island. Not so 60ties jazzy though, but a fantastic progression, hope you know what I mean.

So many great examples to choose from... my fav is the Superman March, at the peak of its melody, da da da daaa da (C C C B G).

The chord on the accent here layers the seven notes of the major scale in a stacked "super" chord - F A C D E G B. The influence of Debussy, Ravel and Copland is always present in things like this, but only JW can make it work so well.