The new Varese Club CDs are...

robthehand

bullybeatingcrane.jpg

The Karate Kid (Bill Conti, 2500 copies)

FOUR-CD SET - contains all four Karate Kid scores

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1059

burysearchroadtrip.jpg

The Vanishing (Jerry Goldsmith, 3000 copies)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1060

writerbroadwaychildren.jpg

Author! Author! (Dave Grusin, 2000 copies)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1061

DameHannibalRobinson.jpg

84 Charing Cross Road (George Fenton, 1000 copies)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1062

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bullybeatingcrane.jpg

The Karate Kid (Bill Conti, 2500 copies)

FOUR-CD SET - contains all four Karate Kid scores

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1059

burysearchroadtrip.jpg

The Vanishing (Jerry Goldsmith, 3000 copies)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1060

writerbroadwaychildren.jpg

Author! Author! (Dave Grusin, 2000 copies)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1061

DameHannibalRobinson.jpg

84 Charing Cross Road (George Fenton, 1000 copies)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...l%2D0307%2D1062

Ordered, ordered, ordered, and ORDERED!!!!!!!!!!

I actually have a longer version of The Vanishing that runs the same time as the new Varese version, so I can toss it now. Funny the artwork looks just like the Varese version as well.

Kudos to Varese but it looks like only one CD for me this time around, phew.

Actually I'm debating on the Karate Kid, but it's 2:50 am in the morining and I need a clearer head.

I didn't stay up for the releases, it's been storming all night and the thunder woke me so I thought I'd take a peek since I was up.

The Karate Kid looks awfully expneisve... but awfuly temting aswell.

I'll get The Vanishing and that Charing Cross thing, I need to think some more about The Karate Kid,

And Marc, the'yre up at Colosseum now.

Ordered Karate Kid and The Vanishing. Along with another DVD set I ordered two days ago, that's over 100 Euros charged to daddy's credit card. I'd better mention that...

- Marc, feeling his wallet aching again.

The Karate Kid looks awfully expneisve... but awfuly temting aswell.

Have you noticed it's a 4-CD set?

A little more than $11 per CD is a very reasonable price-- and it's a 2500-unit release.

Or did you mean it's a lot at once? (Which I can understand; this certainly does increase the usual Club Release bill).

I'm concidering the first two (Even though Goldsmith specifically said he did not want The Vanishing released)....what's the word on the Grusin and Fenton scores? Mr. Ecks- are you familiar with them?

I like Conti's stuff so the Karate Kit set was a must have and one of the most amazing things i have ever seen in terms of releases.

This time i have spend a bit more than usual but with such an amazing batch it is okay when things get a little more expensive.

This is the first time I've seen a Goldsmith CD Club release that I'm not entirely sure I want. I mean, it's good, but it's not one of the scores I've really been wanting. The meat of the score seems to sound like vintage 90's Goldsmith, but there's something fishy about the first and last tracks. The first reminds me of Matinee and something else I can't put my finger on, and the last sounds really close to The Russia House/Alien Nation. Maybe that's why Goldsmith didn't want it released? I'll probably miraculously skip this one.

I've liked the Karate Kid music and I think it's fantastic that they've released these four scores. Plus $51.48 for any kind of 4-CD set is a very good price considering that a CD box set like this can run up to $100 if not more especially when they go out of print. I definitely ordered a copy of the Karate Kid set.

Karate Kid didn't really get much of a release except for in bootleg form. Karate Kid II did but according to Soundtrack Collector looks to be kind of a short CD release. Karate Kid III only had a theme on a CD release and The Next Karate Kid I don't think ever got a score release.

Not to turn this into a "What Varese should have released :unsure:" bitching thread, but I think it would be wise if they released scores that they were originally supposed to but backed out of, for one reason or another.

Dutch and Buckaroo Banzai come to mind.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for the latter, but it's a fun little score that has much more character than many of the comedy scores coming out today, most of which seem to fall to Randy Newman or John Debney. That's not a slam on them, but we need variety!

And Dutch hearkens back to the days when Silvestri was used much more often . . . for films that weren't so kid-friendly.

C'mon Varese! Gimme, gimme, gimme!

I am sure Dutch will come out sooner or later and if not from varese then from some other label. There was no song soundtrack, the rights are with mgm and the name Silvestri with it's economic potential should be reason enough for any label to bring this out. Really... if it's not varese then maybe lala-land or perseverance but Dutch will be released someday. That one is certain.

Yes. Ebayers watch for them, I'm sure. That's Varese's way of getting rid of good, but not great scores. People will buy it simply because they know it will sell out in a matter of days, if not hours.

It's a guessing game, they can't be 100 percent as to what is going to go quick and what is not. Although now it's safe to say a 1000 to 1500 release will go quick.

Plus if they can release a few 1000 to 2000 unit scores and they move fast it only helps them in the long run when comes to funding the 3000 or major releases.

It's kind of nasty, though. I'm sure they knew full well that Karate Kid has been in high demand for a few years now (and it's great that it's released and all, yada, yada, yada), but now the only way to obtain a legit copy of that score is to spend 45 dollars (plus shipping) on all four scores. Hmmm...

With 1500 and up it's generally a guessing game- but I believe that every single 1000 unit release has sold out in less than 5 days, no matter how obscure.

It's kind of nasty, though. I'm sure they knew full well that Karate Kid has been in high demand for a few years now (and it's great that it's released and all, yada, yada, yada), but now the only way to obtain a legit copy of that score is to spend 45 dollars (plus shipping) on all four scores. Hmmm...

What can you do. It is a good price for four CDs, though. And they know that some releases, they can charge whatever they like and they'll sell. I guarentee you that even if the Goldsmith set was $50-100 more expensive, it would sell out. Take longer, sure, but still.

....and I fell for it yet again. Ordered the Fenton score from SAE. I like Fenton, sounds nice, can't stand the idea of never having the option to get it again (Unless I'm will to part with 3-4 times the amount). They've got a nice bargain bin in there too, picked up The Grifters (Bernstein), Oscar (Bernstein) and Dolores Claiborne (Elfman) for $8.95 a piece. Shipping's not too bad. $17. Less than Colloseum and Buysoundtrax, but they jack up the prices.

That Goldsmith set was a rip-off. A high-quality production, yes, but still incredibly over-priced.

Goldsmith 6-CD set cost $130, while this 155-CD Bach box set has an RRP of $140, reduced to a little over $100 on Amazon.

But at least the Goldsmith is worth more and more a time goes by. I've seen bidding that was out $600 with several hours left.

That's a point, though I've noticed that they seem to be going for less recently.

But $600 for 6 CDs... $100 per disc, three of which only have readily-available music - so basically, $200 per disc of unreleased music. That's crazy! ;)

I think that was the highest...someone at FSM pointed it out. And that was 6-7 before the end!

And I have a request- if anyone should notice that any of the other releases (particulaly KK) have any quantity alert, please it here. Ideally, I want to wait with it at least a few days until I get a clear idea of my finances, but I don't want to miss it (I'm also looking to make a purchase over at BS of The Big Country and a couple of bargain scores, and don't want to overextend).

Only Rookie of the Year and Gloria have low quantity alerts at the moment (less than 300 and 500, respectively). I thought about getting Rookie of the Year with my latest order, but the sound clips just didn't sound appealing to me at all.

;) Mission to Mars (Ennio Morricone)

Oh, I love Rookie of The Year. But I saw and liked the film when I was a kid (7-8). I think that the main titles alone encompass the best that inspirational sports scores have to offer. It's got the exciting percussion, it's got that great pre-game montage music, and a great heroic fanfare. It's a good score. Southal's review sums up the CD very well, I feel (http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/rookie_year.html).

I'm not that big on Conti's scores so I passed.

Yeah the Goldsmith set was overpriced but it was worth it. Plus you have to consider the costs it took to salvage some of the damaged music. From what I understand some of the music reels were so badly damaged that this was their only shot to get them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the discs from Colosseum. The Karate Kid set is very nice. It has all four discs in one case, so it's actually slimmer than the Deluxe Omen set.

Liner notes by Robert Townson and Julie Kirgo. The track listing for all four discs is in the back of the booklet.

And Karate Kid in glorious stereo. Yay!

Here's some pictures:

HPIM0205.jpg

HPIM0208.jpg

- Marc, happy camper. :thumbup:

EDIT: Oh, I only just found the promotional copy of James Newton Howard's The Interpreter that was sent along with it. Cool!

There's a little easter egg on The Vanishing. It's mentioned in the liner notes, but I'm not going to spoil it here. Just make sure you listen to all of the final track.

I'm still waiting on mine. Hopefully the Easter Egg is another voice clip from Goldsmith. I love his colorful little message at the end of Alien Nation.