Who should score the next Rambo film?

Indiana_Fett

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be Brian Tyler. I think he's a pretty good choice, IMO. However my top three choices would be (in no order):

1. Alan Silvestri

2. John Debney

3. Joel McNeely

I think it should be Goldsmith's previously written scores, tracked in to the new film.

If it is Brian Tyler, I find that very discouraging.

It's going to be Brian Tyler. I think he's a pretty good choice, IMO. However my top three choices would be (in no order):

1. Alan Silvestri

2. John Debney

3. Joel McNeely

That way, no matter what- we get an Alan Silvestri score!

1. Alan Silvestri

2. John Debney

3. Joel McNeely

That way, no matter what- we get an Alan Silvestri score!

1. Joel Goldsmith

2. Randy miller

3; Aln Silvestri

I think it should be Goldsmith's previously written scores, tracked in to the new film.

You are joking, right?

Look, there aint no Rambo without Goldsmith, ayeight? I would prefer a Rambo film with tracked cues, than some bumbling half=assed adaption by the like of a Brian Tyler, or anyone else, for that matter.

I read an interview with Goldenthal in the late-90's (must have been FSM) where he said that he never concidered himself a film composer. Maybe he wanted to phaze out film scores? And also, obviously he worked very hard on his opera last year. I know he's working on Julie Taymor's new film Across the universe (A musical- should be interesting). I got the feeling that he was phazing out film when he stopped working with Neil Jordan. Their last collaboration was on The Good Thief. Jordan's Breakfast on Pluto I believe had some unknown composer, and last I heard his new movie coming out this year is being scored by Dario Marianelli.

Don't forget Goldenthal suffered a severe head injury awhile back, it's on the FSM board somewhere and it was in the L.A. Times article about his opera, so I would imagine that slowed him down some.

Originally there was a post over at FSM and Jerry Goldsmith Online that claimed Stallone had said they were going to track music from the first 3 films.

Frankly it's another film that doesn't need to be made but Joel Goldsmith or Alan Silvestri would be my choices.

Alan Silvestri would be a nice choice. He could easily add some of the requisite masculinity to his typcial action score, and Goldsmith theme seems like it would fit perfectly with Silvestri orchestration. Besides, the last time Silvestri composed a sequel to a Jerry Goldsmith score it came out pretty nicely, but by that logic I guess you could argue James Horner...

Joel Goldsmith isn't a bad choice either, he's composing has complemented his Father's very well whenever he was needed as an assist. It would probably be a very emotional project for Joel, and I'm sure that would have a positive effect on the score.

I also like some of First Contact and kind of like parts of Kull (Although it's too overblown even for me). And Diamonds is not bad either. But a few cues that are moderately not bad ain't enough to put a guy on my radar. Not by a longshot.

Saying Joel is not Jerry is like saying Angelina Jolie is no Mother Teresa. Even if they were any good at what they were doing, they wouldn't appear on the graph. You are saying he is not the best, I am saying that he is not the best, nor is he great, good, okay, or the least bit impressive.

Don't forget Goldenthal suffered a severe head injury awhile back, it's on the FSM board somewhere and it was in the L.A. Times article about his opera, so I would imagine that slowed him down some.

I hadn't heard that. Where on FSM is it posted?

Alan Silvestri scoring the next rambo would be so cool but the movie probably won't be an a-list project with an all too big budget anyways which is probably the reason they choose tyler and not someone more high profile as Silvestri.

Yes.

I think part of the reason for Joel Goldsmith's name being brought up is probably sentimental, alot of people still want Goldsmith's name attached plus I perosnally think he did a nice job of adapting his father's music for First Contact and he has a good following. People love his music for the Stargate TV show.

As mentioned above it looks like Brian Tyler is going to score the film.

I really don't get the hype around him, the only score of his that really interests me is Children Of Dune.

I would pick Marco Beltrami to score this film just because it seems like he has tons of experience with movies that are rough and rugged like: T3, Hellboy, The Omen, I Robot, and Flight of the Phoenix.

Jerry Goldsmith was also Beltrami's mentor a long time ago. Beltrami has also scored the remake to The Omen (which was originally a Goldsmith score) and he didn't repeat what Goldsmith did; he took Goldsmith's work and added his own touch.

Brian Tyler would be my second pick.

Jerry Goldsmith was also Beltrami's mentor a long time ago. Beltrami has also scored the remake to The Omen (which was originally a Goldsmith score) and he didn't repeat what Goldsmith did; he took Goldsmith's work and added his own touch.

Beltrami's The Omen was a total snooze.

Yes it is.

Didn't Stallone write a song for Rambo III? I know the original soundtrack was filled with a bunch of crappy songs until Intrada released the expanded score only disc.

Ahh, I'm probably thinking of Steve Segal. I know he put some crappy songs at the end of several of his action films.