More Musical Problems For Spiderman?

Ollie

Musical continuity?

You prefer continuity over progression? What was, over what might be?

I'd rather have an effective score that does not sound like a rearranged version of a previous score, like Superman II, or The Chamber of Secrets and Home Alone 2.

As a filmscore fan, I find these kinds of patch jobs offensive to the art of film scoring, and object to them, and those who defend them!

Oh, no no no, please don't mistake me. As disappointed as I am in Elfman's leaving, I would definitely prefer a full new score (or as new as possible after the temp track issues in Spider-Man 2), but if they are indeed going the route of adapting cues, I'd rather preserve the sound Elfman had--hopefully Bartek would develop it a bit, but Young's statements of Elfman's themes sounded like they were going in a different direction entirely, instead of progressing on the same path that was started in the first film. Elfman's original Spider-Man 2 score did a great job of developing everything while still staying on the same track. I can't do anything about it if they decide to do a patch job, unfortunately, but if they are going to do that, I can at least hope it will be done by someone who is really familiar with Elfman's Spider-Man scores.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the material that was used from the first film was rearranged. It has quite a bit of new (and some wonderful) material. Still, not one of JW's highpoints.

I'm sorry, so now it's better to have an orchestrator do a big budget summer movie then an experienced and talented composer like young?

That is just....insane!

How do you know that Bartek isn't a talented composer? Anyway, I'd actually go as far as to say that i'm glad that Elfman isn't scoring Spiderman 3. He demonstrated a lack of imagination and lack of inspiration on Spiderman 2 so I don't see why Spiderman 3 would be any different. Young's cues for Spiderman 2 were innovative masterpieces that heightened the scenes (particularly the Runaway Train sequence) considerably more than in any scenes that Elfman wrote music for, in my opinion.

Young's cues were obviously influenced by temp tracks. That's the reason he was brought in because Elfman wouldn't crib himself or the temp tracks.

Elfman's were better suited for the film.

Having not heard Chris Young's Hellraiser scores until AFTER seeing Spider-Man 2, the temp track didn't bother me a bit. It of course is totally unoriginal, but I thought it worked well in the scene(s).

I'm sorry, so now it's better to have an orchestrator do a big budget summer movie then an experienced and talented composer like young?

That is just....insane!

How do you know that Bartek isn't a talented composer? Anyway, I'd actually go as far as to say that i'm glad that Elfman isn't scoring Spiderman 3. He demonstrated a lack of imagination and lack of inspiration on Spiderman 2 so I don't see why Spiderman 3 would be any different. Young's cues for Spiderman 2 were innovative masterpieces that heightened the scenes (particularly the Runaway Train sequence) considerably more than in any scenes that Elfman wrote music for, in my opinion.

I hope that you said that without hearing the full original score. I can't think of many other people that would've made a cue like "Happy Montage" within the context of the movie.

Poor Sam Raimi. Once, a happy go lucky film maker with a charming lack of quality control. Now a spewer of crappy comic adaptations with no imagination. Danny wrote great scores for Darkman and Simple Plan. Success has gone to Raimi's head. Spiderman is huge because Spiderman, the character, is huge - not because he was such a great director on it.

Poor Sam Raimi. Once, a happy go lucky film maker with a charming lack of quality control. Now a spewer of crappy comic adaptations with no imagination. Danny wrote great scores for Darkman and Simple Plan. Success has gone to Raimi's head. Spiderman is huge because Spiderman, the character, is huge - not because he was such a great director on it.

Jesse, you need to send that along to the people that supposedly want Raimi on The Hobbit. :lol: