Holst's The Planets

ChuckM

Williams Planets are not performed by the LSO.

Perhaps he was referring to a live performance?

I doubt Williams has ever conducted The Planets with the LSO in concert?

If that's the case, Marian, then how come I saw/heard the LSO/LSC conducted by JW, at The Barbican, in 1982..?

I can confirm it, dude, because - and I suspect unlike Miguel - I. WAS.THERE!!!!

If, however, Miguel - or anyone else for that matter - would like to investigate the Barbican/LSO archive, they will find that an early evening concert was held at The Barbican, in late June (or possibly early July) 1982. The first half of the concert was "The Planets", and the second half was all JW music, including a concert arrangement of "Adventures On Earth", from the then-unreleased-in-the-U.K. "E.T.".

As much as I respect Miguel, I really don't need anyone to "confirm" that this concert took place, because I'm doing it now.

Poor Richard! I for one see no reason to disbelieve him. For starters, most of us will have seen those photos of Williams and C3PO conducting the LSO at the Royal Albert Hall in 1977 or 1978 (see below, for instance) - surely he must have appeared with the LSO in concert again before 1996? The Barbican Centre was officially opened in March 1982 when the LSO became the resident orchestra, while Williams was in London to record the score for Monsignor with the LSO in August 1982. He was back again to record Return of the Jedi in January and February 1983, so it does not seem implausible to me that he could have conducted the LSO in concert some time during this period.

l.jpg

Shouldn't those girls be waving their petticoats in front of a steam train?

Of course Williams has conducted the LSO in concert, multiple times. It's just that conducting a major "classical" work by another composer with the LSO seems to be a little "high profile" for a "film composer" like him. If he really did it - very cool.

A "classical music rapist" is the term I hear the most these days whenever I mention his name.

Strangely enough, the same people say Danny Elfman, Howard Shore and Joe Hisaishi are geniuses.

Karol

No idea who this Hisaishi is. And no interest to find out.

He's a talented composer with some great scores up his sleeve.

I just think it goes to that Final Fantasy category; Not for me.

What does Hisaishi have to do with Final Fantasy?

He's probably thinking of the other guy; it's that kind of reaction similar to, say, those people who can't differentiate between John Williams & Jerry Goldsmith.

Poor Richard! I for one see no reason to disbelieve him. For starters, most of us will have seen those photos of Williams and C3PO conducting the LSO at the Royal Albert Hall in 1977 or 1978 (see below, for instance) - surely he must have appeared with the LSO in concert again before 1996? The Barbican Centre was officially opened in March 1982 when the LSO became the resident orchestra, while Williams was in London to record the score for Monsignor with the LSO in August 1982. He was back again to record Return of the Jedi in January and February 1983, so it does not seem implausible to me that he could have conducted the LSO in concert some time during this period.

l.jpg

Shouldn't those girls be waving their petticoats in front of a steam train?

Again, unless Miguel or Ricard back it up, this is a fable!

I just think it goes to that Final Fantasy category; Not for me.

What does Hisaishi have to do with Final Fantasy?

Nothing. Just not for me.

I thought they both come from the same country.

You're dismissing an entire wealth of music because of the birthplace of its composer? Germany's not for me, I'm not going to even attempt to listen to Beethoven...

Is this your increasing negativity towards me due to my bashing of Zimmer, Koray?

I don't recall any such instance, honestly, but you made an irrelevant comparison between Hisaishi and Final Fantasy, claiming it's not for you and you have no desire to listen to it. I'm concluding that it's because the music is of Japanese origin.

Yes, my original point was I'm not a big fan of Japanese music, actually I don't like almost anything coming there culturally now days.

And I don't understand Japanese people's idolizing of western culture, even the crappiest rock there is... Their own cultural heritage is awesome.

Haven't you heard someone to said for example " I don't like french music"? Well it's kid of narrow minded but people do this kind of things.

And in order not to always sound the most negative guy, I have to admit I love Sushi!

And I don't understand Japanese people's idolizing of western culture, even the crappiest rock there is... Their own cultural heritage is awesome.

It goes both ways. Many Americans adore Japanese anime and other aspects of their culture.

And many rock bands in Germany and Sweden make music as if the era of 80s hair metal never ended.

Yes, my original point was I'm not a big fan of Japanese music.

Your point don't make sense here, because Hisaishi's (you know, the guy we just talked about) music is very "western sounding" anyway. Narrow-minded iceman!

Yes it make perfectly sense, the guy desperately wanted to sound very "western", there is a difference. In my humble iceman-like opinion!

Yes, my original point was I'm not a big fan of Japanese music.

Your point don't make sense here, because Hisaishi's (you know, the guy we just talked about) music is very "western sounding" anyway. Narrow-minded iceman!

Yes it make perfectly sense, the guy desperately wanted to sound very "western", there is a difference. In my humble iceman-like opinion!

Cuz much of the movies that he's scoring derived from Western influences.

I think Nausicaä is based on a comic book by Miyazaki that I must read that is inspired by Moebius, Dune and a character from the Odyssey, combined with an old Japanese tale. But this is more "somewhat inspired by" than a clear influence. Sadly I'm not familiar with a lot of films he's scored. But that can be solved.

Funny to discuss this in a thread about The Planets.

Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, to name a few. And that's just the films he composed for director Hayao Miyazaki.

Yes, my original point was I'm not a big fan of Japanese music, actually I don't like almost anything coming there culturally now days.

Haven't you heard someone to said for example " I don't like french music"? Well it's kid of narrow minded but people do this kind of things.

But isn't music universal, the one thing that isn't bound by race and people's hate for each other? I love Shiina Ringo, but I don't understand most of what she's singing. She has a good ear for melody and instrumentation in her work. You can say you don't like Desplat, but to say you don't like [insert country here] music is ignorant, in my opinion.

And in order not to always sound the most negative guy, I have to admit I love Sushi!

You saved yourself... this time.