Superman Script Review - Uh-Oh....

Kevin McCallister

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I don't care.

Christopher Reeve was the best Superman and is NOT to be replaced by anyone.

Plus I doubt John Williams will be scoring this.

The whole deal just seems pointless to me.

Indeed, it IS very pointless.

However, as a Superman fan, not just the movies but the character overall, this review scares the HELL out of me.

Good God. This movie, if the script is real, will be absolutely horrific.

Luthor a Kryptonian.

Krypton surviving.

Jimmy's gay.

PLEASE. Rattner, get your head out of your ass and see the light.

Yeah I mean how can Lex Luthor be from Krypton??

Doesn't even follow the bloody character in any way??

Krypton surviving??

THEN WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY SEND JOR-EL (or whatever his name was) away in the first place??

Edit: OH yeah thats right it was Cal-El that was Superman. Jor-El was his pops.

What am I thinking???

The beginning sounded quite cool. The rest of the story just seemed to fall apart.

Krypton surviving? Umm no. Maybe have a bunch of survivors land on another planet and colonize that. I could live with that, but not the planet survivingl.

They shouldn't even bother calling it Superman. Just come up with a new name 'cuz it's a completely new story and basically a new character.

A canister with the suit.

<sigh>

Methinks Abrams had tee many martoonis.

Meh, I don't care.  

Christopher Reeve was the best Superman and is NOT to be replaced by anyone.  

Plus I doubt John Williams will be scoring this.  

The whole deal just seems pointless to me.

I'd like to add....no Richard Pryor = no sale!

8O

Neil

It's not adding to it. It's "reimagining" it.

Behold.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020925/250397_1.html

Press Release Source: Warner Bros. Pictures

Brett Ratner to Direct Superman for Warner Bros. Pictures

Wednesday September 25, 7:13 pm ET

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 25, 2002--Blockbuster director Brett Ratner (Rush Hour 2) will direct the feature film action-adventure Superman for Warner Bros. Pictures, it was announced today by Jeff Robinov, President, Domestic Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Produced by Jon Peters (Ali, Batman) and written by J.J. Abrams (Armageddon, executive producer of TV's Alias), the project is a re-imagining of the Superman legend. The screenplay is based upon DC Comics' classic character, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

"Superman is an American icon and a timeless hero who shares a rich history with Warner Bros.," said Alan Horn, President, Warner Bros. "We are very happy to be working with Brett, Jon and J.J. on this important new chapter in the Superman legacy."

Stated Jeff Robinov, "J.J. Abrams and Jon Peters were given the daunting task of re-imagining the Superman epic and J.J. met the challenge, delivering a terrific script with emotion, depth and scale that bring new dimension to this legendary character. We couldn't be more pleased to entrust the next chapter in the Superman mythology to Brett Ratner, a dynamic director whose skillful blend of action, comedy and drama has captured the imaginations of audiences worldwide."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warner Bros. Pictures

Stacy Ivers, 818/954-6228

stacy.ivers@warnerbros.com

So it could very well be official. I REALLY hate the sounds of a "reimagining" of Superman.

This is what I wrote to Ivers. I'm taking this a little too seriously, but hey, it gives me something to do.

Ms. Ivers,

My name is Kevin Skinner. I represent the website and message board of Superman Cinema (www.deceptions.net/superman) and basically Superman fans all over the world. Please do not write this off as a fanboy complaining.

I would like to bring to your attention a review of the script written by JJ Abrams. The review was written by "Moriarity" of Ain't It Cool News (www.aint-it-cool-news.com...id=13350). Please take note of the content of that webpage, but more importantly, the comments below in the "Talk Back" area. The reactions to the script review were very quickly posted on the Internet. If you do take a look at them, you will see that basically 97% of the reaction is bad. Not just bad, but downright angry. People are very upset about this script.

If you could, please read that review and if it's at all possible, confirm or deny that it is, indeed, the script that is being used for the upcoming Superman movie. Confirming it will basically kill quite a bit of anticipation for this movie. Denying it will bring back hope that the movie could possibly be good or even great.

Assuming that the script reviewed is the real deal, I would like to take up some points with you that are basically agreed upon by every Superman fan out there. First of all, Krypton has to explode. Having it survive is going against over seventy years of history and storylines. It's why Superman is sent to Earth, not because of some prophecy. Second, Jimmy cannot be gay. If a gay character is needed to please the gay community or fill some kind of quote, use Captain Maggie Sawyer, she's a lesbian. Don't make a preexisting character who has always been heterosexual a gay man. Even people in the gay community find this to be ridiculous. Third, Luthor cannot be from Krypton or be a CIA agent. In a one shot comic book series or a Twilight Zone episode of a Superman series, that would be perfectly fine, but to start off a new franchise with this blatantly awful changes is dooming it. People will scoff at the changes. People fear change. Trust me. Especially when it comes to changing the history of an Americana legend. Fourth, don't let Superman's suit live in a canister. That's just stupid. That's all I can really say about that aspect. And fifth, don't have Superman die. It's pointless. There will be no drama because everyone will know what will happen: he'll come back to life. Save time and money, cut out the middle man, just skip that whole subplot.

The review does speak of good things. Try to have whatever script doctors Warner Brothers will use focus on them and expand them. What I said above speaks for almost every single Superman fan out there. Granted, there are some who don't care, but the vast majority do.

I would also like to bring to your attention a petition that surfaced almost immediately after the script review was put up online. The link to that petition is www.petitiononline.com/sprmn5/petition.html. It has gained over nine hundred signs in just two days. That's quite a bit. Imagine what it will build up to in a week. Please treat this seriously. People don't want to see a bad Superman movie. Remember what happened with Batman and Robin? It was a critical bomb and it was the worst performing Batman movie to date. Ask any average joe what they thought of the movie and they will more than likely give a resounding, "It was crap." Does Warner Brothers want to knowingly make a movie with a script that people already hate? There's no way a good movie can be made from this script. Do the right thing. Either rework the hell out of Abram's script or use a new one. Superman is one of the most famous American icons in the history of America. Don't tarnish that. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kevin Skinner

Offending the gay community????? Are you mad? What's wrong with Jimmy being gay in the first place? I don't care either way but it's not like he was any use or had any other thing to add to his 1 dimentional character. In fact it might give him some extra needed filling out and some depth. What most of your reactions show is that as much as you would like to think that hey, it's no problem for people being gay, as soon as someone is about to change a charcater to being gay, it's abhorent! It's horrible!!! how can you do this!!!!! Yet, in a comic book, if that character were to say murder someone, you would all be like, wow, I never would have thought..... What an interesting twist. Or if a version came out, which has been done over and over again where a character is now a different race, Oh Cool!!!! Whatever!!!!

I just really love this though.... Gay = bad, a killer is fine though.... What on earth have I been thinking all this time?!

And please, what's with "to please the gay community crap?" Who the hell cares if there is or isn't a gay character in yet another fiction? If there is, great, if there isn't great. But your reactions are sickening and shows what level of acceptance people of difference still need to garner.

Have a good one!

Let me see...

Do I know any gay people... Oh dear, I have to think about this one......

Uuuuuummm, hhhmmmm..... thinking thinking....

How about...

Me, my boyfriend, about 100 others!

At least...

Well then, to each their own, ocelot.

However, if you're a fan of Superman, not the movie or the music but the legend and the history of the character, you wouldn't want anyone changed for no damn reason.

The Legend and the History of the character?????????? A COMIC character???????? Are you serious????????? OK...... If we really want to go there.....

First of all let me point something out..... This is NOT rewriting Superman, this is not changing what has already been established.... This is like taking the whole universe shaking it and going hey, this is my Interpretation or version on a story or mirror universe so to speak..... Nothing would change. Film makers have done that with literature for God's sake, let alone a comic book. Superman himself has undergone drastic changes in DC comics tons of times. A few years ago they put out many books at the same time where the man of steel was every single different incarnation possible. This character became this, that became that. Those aren't changes in the status quo, they are interpretations on the material. The Ultimate X-Men is a retelling of the X-Men. So many things are different, yet it is one of the best books out there and selling like hot cakes. Shakespeare, Austen, Crichton, Rice, Dickens, Grisham... They've all had various degrees of changes, some minor, some drastic. Even people who are supposed to be dead, stay alive and vice versa.

Even if Superman was real, which, hold on a second I'm still reeling from that comment, Hollywood ALWAYS changes things for movies!!! Again Books, Current events, Historical events, whatever the source, it is ALWAYS changed by Hollywood. Whether small character traits of certain people or whole events. And let's NOT get into how many gay or bi historical characters were turned straight for Hollywood. Now, if let's say they were going to make Superman or Lois Lane gay, I would be like ARE YOU SHITTING ME? Is this some gay fan boy's wet dream, (or lesbian with Lois Lane). But Jimmy Olsen? Jimmy? The pimply, geeky one dimensional camera boy? It might give him some much needed depth. Round him out more, flesh him out, and not by making him queeny, not many people act that way anyway. The people who have met me and my friends in this forum can attest to that.

And making Jimmy gay is not for the sake of the gay community so no one insult me by saying that. I don't go to every gay movie, nor do my friends. We go if a film is good, if not, we don't go, not because there is or isn't a gay character in it. And the ones who do go for something like that aren't going to give a damn about Jimmy, they are going to go for one thing only.... Is Superman being played by a cute character, and is he wearing tight clothes.... It's stupid, yes, but there are people of all kinds everywhere.

As you said, to each his own.

Signing off this topic, hopefully forever...

On Saturday Night Live they made Jimmy Olsen a Jew and changed his name to Olstein. How do we know he was Jewish? X-ray vision of course. He claimed he was not Jewish and the stein was of Dutch origin. He also claimed his parent were extremely advanced in personal hygeinics.

Clark Kenta, and Lois Lana, where Germans fighting for the cause of hate, lies, and German domination.

fortunately the U.S. would have developed a kryptonite bomb, in time to win.

I have to agree with Kevin, its a needless change. Its only being done to create controvery and publicity. There is no artistic merit to such a change.

It is obvious that this Superman film will be a waste.

Joe, who thinks AI, the mb poster is worse than the film itself.