Which Star Wars: Main Title rendition is your fave?

Quintus

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decide between TPM, AoTC, or RoTS..................oh wait.................. :) (besides snipping out the beautiful Anakin's theme/Love Theme/Vader's Theme from the end credits of AoTC in the movie edition, this was another reason why the 2nd and 3rd prequels sucked ---- what possessed them to not re-record the main title as tradition???)

That much I certain.

And like I said earlier, maybe Williams figured he'd recorded the theme 4 previous times plus he may have just got to a point where he didn't care too much about Star Wars and just wanted to get it over with.

I'm sure it's not the best, of course, but can anyone vouche for the Talgorn version with the RSNO? The CD is called "Themes from The Phantom Menace and Other Film Hits".

Tim

This thread got me to go back and listen to a number of rendtions. One that I forgot about (and I don't know how I could because it was so thrilling) was the very first take rendition which is a buried track on the RCA 09026-68746-2 release. It has that slight trill at the beginning which was later eliminated in favor of the strong abrupt beginning in the final film version. Even if you don't like the deleted beginning, it's still amazing to hear the very first time the orchestra ever struck up that wonderous theme that would become famous throughout the world! :shakehead:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you listen closely, it's clearly identified as take 16, so it wasn't the first time the orchestra played it (it might've been the first acceptable take, though). Still, I agree with you, not only do I like that take, but it's also exciting for what it represents.

I also like the original Williams/BPO recording from "Pops in Space" and "By Request"; I believe both Williams and orchestra played it with a lot of energy. I notice no one ever mentions the Skywalker Symphony version. Why's that?

This thread got me to go back and listen to a number of rendtions. One that I forgot about (and I don't know how I could because it was so thrilling) was the very first take rendition which is a buried track on the RCA 09026-68746-2 release. It has that slight trill at the beginning which was later eliminated in favor of the strong abrupt beginning in the final film version. Even if you don't like the deleted beginning, it's still amazing to hear the very first time the orchestra ever struck up that wonderous theme that would become famous throughout the world! :shakehead:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you listen closely, it's clearly identified as take 16, so it wasn't the first time the orchestra played it (it might've been the first acceptable take, though). Still, I agree with you, not only do I like that take, but it's also exciting for what it represents.

You think the LSO would need 15 takes to get that right?

The takes were numbered all the way through. The first take of the first piece recorded was take 1. They did 7 takes on the first one and used material from takes 5 and 7 (the track is Chasm Crossfire). They then moved on to The Death Star, numbering on at 8, etc, etc.

You can see this for yourself in the recording log that's in the back of the RCA release's liner notes (probably omitted from the Sony release).

I also like the original Williams/BPO recording from "Pops in Space" and "By Request"; I believe both Williams and orchestra played it with a lot of energy. I notice no one ever mentions the Skywalker Symphony version. Why's that?

Because it's a tired, uneventfull and sterile reading of this fantastic piece.

And because the brass is missing from the main themes reprisal. Mind you, its still a decent listen and better than a lot of other recordings of the piece.

This thread got me to go back and listen to a number of rendtions. One that I forgot about (and I don't know how I could because it was so thrilling) was the very first take rendition which is a buried track on the RCA 09026-68746-2 release. It has that slight trill at the beginning which was later eliminated in favor of the strong abrupt beginning in the final film version. Even if you don't like the deleted beginning, it's still amazing to hear the very first time the orchestra ever struck up that wonderous theme that would become famous throughout the world! :blink:

You think the LSO would need 15 takes to get that right?

The takes were numbered all the way through. The first take of the first piece recorded was take 1. They did 7 takes on the first one and used material from takes 5 and 7 (the track is Chasm Crossfire). They then moved on to The Death Star, numbering on at 8, etc, etc.

You can see this for yourself in the recording log that's in the back of the RCA release's liner notes (probably omitted from the Sony release).

Ok, thanks for the correction! It'd been a long time since I read the liner notes.