Episode IV - Binary Sunset (Alternate)

I finally got the 2 disc Special Edition release of Episode IV. I purposely waited to buy this for the same reason you might save your best Halloween candy for last, if you know what I mean. Hearing the alternate Binary Sunset take for the first time was very, very, very strange. A good strange, though.

Anyway, what amazes me is how much this part sounds like Goldsmith. Maybe that's just because the music is eerie. I don't know, but that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Thoughts?

-Genius, who is too lazy to use the search function to find a relevant thread

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job on finally getting the set. Is it the Sony 2004 set or the RCA 97' set? Also do you have the ESB and ROTJ 2-CD sets?

As far as the actual cue goes I perfer the film version of "Binary Sunset".

I agree on the film version too, I believe its better overall and fits the scene better. I'm looking for a copy of the booklet from the RCA version of A New Hope if anyone has scans of it.

I agree on the film version too, I believe its better overall and fits the scene better. I'm looking for a copy of the booklet from the RCA version of A New Hope if anyone has scans of it.

No scans, but the text is available on this site, which is awesome.

I personally can't decide which version I like. They are both great pieces of music. I think that the Alternate Version is more liked because of the eerieness like Genus Gone Insane has said. It is kind of strange, but Williams does a great job making it work. I would like to know what Miguel thinks about the two versions of the Binary Sunset.

I've always thought that the alternate didn't quite fit the scene, it was a good change. And not just because the film Binary Sunset is one if Williams' best cues, so good that that particular statement of the Force theme was requoted in 3 of the following scores. My favorite SW OT alternate is easily the alternate Sail Barge Assault in Jedi.

Nice job on finally getting the set. Is it the Sony 2004 set or the RCA 97' set? Also do you have the ESB and ROTJ 2-CD sets?

As far as the actual cue goes I perfer the film version of "Binary Sunset".

Yes it's the RCA, and I have ROJ and ESB, though I'm eagerly awaiting AOTC.

The film version is the best, I couldn't imagine anything else. The use of the Force theme represents Luke's hope, the original paints the moments as bleak, without hope. But it's nice to have the alternate cue.

Here is the scene with the original music playing.

Cool... seeing the scene like makes me think the film version is too light. The alternative version certainly emphasizes the doom that will befall Owen and Beru. Dies Irae is very foreboding in the post-sunset scene (and with it comes more thematic continuity; the motif is reprised in "Learn About the Force").

I think the music is very similar to and has the same feel as the first 90 seconds of Night Seach (Ben's Garner's Boat ) from Jaws

Some what related to this topic this reminds me of when Jerry Goldsmith scored the scene "The Enterprise" and the original run of the cue sounded like you were watching a bunch of sailing ships on screen. This is what Robert Wise on the 2nd DVD for Star Trek TMP and I agree with him. I'm glad he had Goldsmith changed it to include the Star Trek theme. I think the one with the Star Trek theme is 100% more vastly superior to the of the original run.

Just like how I think the film version of "Binary Sunset" is better than the alternate cue.

Personally, I fee that the film version fits the film a lot better. It truly calls out to the image and to the thematic mateial... saying prominantly luke's theme.

The alternate doesn't use the theme and seems darker... whichmakes more sense, but at the same time, as far as a narative goes, it works better to have the film version because it does tie things together...and speaks o the hopeful/triumphant fate ahead.

Although, I do feel the mood music both before and after luke looking at the sunset worked better. ALthough I'm unsure if the editing between the tracks would have worked hehe.

thansk for posting my vid :-p

I personally can't decide which version I like. They are both great pieces of music. I think that the Alternate Version is more liked because of the eerieness like Genus Gone Insane has said. It is kind of strange, but Williams does a great job making it work. I would like to know what Miguel thinks about the two versions of the Binary Sunset.

Actually I find it to sound lot Herrmannesque, hence I find it natural that someone refered to The Fury earlier on.

As far as the use of the cues go, this is an example that not always does the composer makes the best choice. The original version, while amazing from a purelly musical standpoint, the final film version works better within the whole leit motiv logic, and the use of the force theme creates a direct link toward the path he will follow.

The same thing applies to the Sail Barge Assault in Return of the Jedi. The use of thematical material makes it work much better within the film context.

But that's just my opinion, and while i feel honored that you care for it, is probably somewhat overrated...

Musically, it's interesting we hear the Imperial motif inverted in this cue in places. It's used as Vader's theme in this film. Prominent other placements of the motif are when Luke runs to the burning homestead (vc/cb play the motif) and also in the piccolo as 3PO/R2 talk after the initial part of the opening battle.

It's a rather interesting example how JW can take a simple motif and use in so many ways (as a bass line, or add triads and it's Vader's theme, etc.)

Actually I find it to sound lot Herrmannesque, hence I find it natural that someone refered to The Fury earlier on.

As far as the use of the cues go, this is an example that not always does the composer makes the best choice. The original version, while amazing from a purelly musical standpoint, the final film version works better within the whole leit motiv logic, and the use of the force theme creates a direct link toward the path he will follow.

The same thing applies to the Sail Barge Assault in Return of the Jedi. The use of thematical material makes it work much better within the film context.

But that's just my opinion, and while i feel honored that you care for it, is probably somewhat overrated...

I wish I could hear that alternate cue for the first time again. It's certainly an interesting take on that scene. I much prefer the film version--it really fits like a glove--but the alternate presents the sunset in a different light, so to speak. Definitely a cool listen, and I'm glad it was included. I really wonder why they included the minutes of silence between that and the main title takes, though...

It's kinda like how a pop-album will have a hidden track at the end. They were kinda meant to keep people on their toes... see if people really listen to the whole thing... or read the book I suppose heh...

I wish they did that more often... it's so interestig to hear the different takes. So often we hear what we hear in the film, and then hear other people conduct things and are so quick to judge.

"That's not the tempo!"

"You don't pull the tempo there!"

"That was orchestrated oddly!"

"That's just wrong!"

But then to hear all these versions, if any one of these had been heard first, I bet you that everyone of us would hold it as dear as we do the final version.

I wish they'd do that more often. Even the flubbed tracks that I found for Episode I interest me beyond belief... oh well

I wish I could hear that alternate cue for the first time again. It's certainly an interesting take on that scene. I much prefer the film version--it really fits like a glove--but the alternate presents the sunset in a different light, so to speak. Definitely a cool listen, and I'm glad it was included. I really wonder why they included the minutes of silence between that and the main title takes, though...

Have someone gently whack you in the head with a 2" x 4", leave yourself a note to play it when you wake up with amnesia.

;)