Free London Symphony Orchestra concert

details here:-

http://lso.co.uk/detailedeventinfo&sho...p;detailID=4362

Another free open air concert by the LSO. I have been before a few times and the atmosphere is superb.

Film Music Concert

Canary Wharf Summer Concerts

13 Jul 2007 7:30 PM

Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London

François-Xavier Roth conductor

London Symphony Orchestra

Programme to be announced

Tickets: Free

This concert takes place in the open air and is unreserved seating

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad! I would like to go but since I'm living on the other side of the world I can't go...

• 1 month later...
I'll be there.....the last one was great - but will arrive a little earlier this year!!!! I feel a meet coming on, possibly??

The Real Deal is spot on - that last one was cracking (though I didn't spot him there)....as the date approaches, anyone else thinking of attending this?

• 1 month later...

Indeed he is....met him a few times....he graduated the same year as me - nice chap and - hey ladies - he's single!

A couple of details of the programme have now appeared on the site......anyone else going to this? Is a UK JWFan meet on the cards?

This was fun back in 2005 (as were the rehearsals). Unfortunately I'll be at some other concerts that weekend and unable to attend. ;)

Oh cool.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Will anyone be going ? It really sounds fantastic :folder: : LSO link

By the way (it's the first time I'm going to London !), does anyone recommend any good movie music stores ?

It was mentioned Here....I'll be there - and you must check out both HMV and Virgin Megastore.....

Oops ! Sorry, I hadn't seen your thread... I should really go to bed earlier...

If you are going, kiranjay is going, The Real Deal is going, and I am going, how about a miniature JW fan meeting ? It'd be fun :lol:

Indeed! Any suggestions for meeting places from someone who might know the area a little better than I?

It would be good to meet yourself, Kiranjay and The Real Deal! Anyone else joining us??

Greg

Indeed! Any suggestions for meeting places from someone who might know the area a little better than I?

It would be good to meet yourself, Kiranjay and The Real Deal! Anyone else joining us??

Greg

I don't know my way around London either ; I've never been there ... Does Kiranjay, The Red Deal or anyone else susceptible to come know a good meeting place ?

I seem to remember from last time that at the back of the field where we sit there's a building with pillars - suggest meeting by a pillar at about 6.45? I'll be wearing an olive green jacket with a white stripe down the arms.........unless anyone has any better suggestions about where to meet?

I seem to remember from last time that at the back of the field where we sit there's a building with pillars - suggest meeting by a pillar at about 6.45? I'll be wearing an olive green jacket with a white stripe down the arms.........unless anyone has any better suggestions about where to meet?

Great ! I'll be there at 6:45 too. I'll be wearing a grey jacket and a green fedora like hat. See you there I hope !

I seem to remember from last time that at the back of the field where we sit there's a building with pillars

Greg,

The "building with pillars" is actually Number 1 Canada Square, aka Canary Wharf Tower, the tallest building in the UK and one of the tallest in Europe - evidently you didn't look up much last time?! :happybday:

Unfortunately I cannot make this concert, but if you have time there are some decent pubs in Greenwich a short train ride away - take the Docklands Light Railway from Canary Wharf DLR to Cutty Sark (no more than 10 minutes) and there is the King's Arms or, a short walk eastwards along the Thames path, the Trafalgar Tavern and the Cutty Sark Tavern on the riverside. Depending on the weather, there are some nice views and places to sit near Canary Wharf pier (on the Isle of Dogs just west of the park).

That said, where you suggested meeting is as good a place as any in Canada Square Park. Be sure to post here what they play in the concert!

I'll be seeing the London Symphony Orchestra in a couple weeks in Daytona Beach (their official American summer home). The final concert of their 9 day stay is an all Hollywood program and I've heard they will do Star Wars and Jaws.

Despite waiting in the aforementioned place, the only person I met up with was The Real Deal!!!! Were others there??

Programme was:

20th Century Fox Fanfare

Hooray for Hollywood

Star Trek - The Motion Picture

Out of Africa

Where Eagles Dare

Ladies in Lavender

Hymn to the Fallen

Superman March

Something from Lord of the Rings

Adventures on Earth (WOW!!!!!!!!!!!)

The Incredibles

Fanfare for Rocky/Gonna Fly Now

JFK (We Miss Maurice!!)

633 Squadron

Some arrangement of the Bond theme that was fairly forgettable

Jurassic Park

Star Wars

Encores were Imperial March, Throne Room and End Titles, Call of the Champions and another rendition of Imperial March

:)

Hymn to the Fallen was actually superb........I wish I could say the same for Call of the Champions but it just didn't cut it for me......and the weather was great.....

Despite waiting in the aforementioned place, the only person I met up with was The Real Deal!!!! Were others there??

Programme was:

20th Century Fox Fanfare

Hooray for Hollywood

Star Trek - The Motion Picture

Out of Africa

Where Eagles Dare

Ladies in Lavender

Hymn to the Fallen

Superman March

Something from Lord of the Rings

Adventures on Earth (WOW!!!!!!!!!!!)

The Incredibles

Fanfare for Rocky/Gonna Fly Now

JFK (We Miss Maurice!!)

633 Squadron

Some arrangement of the Bond theme that was fairly forgettable

Jurassic Park

Star Wars

Encores were Imperial March, Throne Room and End Titles, Call of the Champions and another rendition of Imperial March

:rolleyes:

I was there ! I looked for you, bur I didn't find you... The place was much smaller, and more crowded, than I expected ; but the concert exceeded my expectations ! Here are a few reactions :

-First of all, the choice of music was fantastic ! I never thought we would get to hear so much ! Hearing a non-choral Hymn to the Fallen was remarkable ; JFK being played was a good surprise (yet the trumpet soloist didn't sound very energetic) ; the Lord of the Rings piece (the Breaking of the Fellowship) was well-executed -- I was disappointed to hear some booing... No comment <_< . The "boos" were maybe caused by too much... booze :lol: (several people had pick-nicks, and lots of empty bottles surrounding them...)

-My favorites : Star Trek and Ilia's theme : GORGEOUS ; The Superman March was perfect ; Out of Africa was amazingly played (I had never adored the theme , but when played live, it's almost like a different piece) ; the Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye medley was indeed fabulous.

-The conductor, Xavier Roth, was extremely good ; he had an interesting way of almost dancing around whilst conducting ; the spokesman, also a drum player, called Neil something I think, was very entertaining : two favorites among his numerous jokes : he joked that he asked Schwarzenegger what composer he'd have liked to be... Schwartzie answered "I'll be Bach" ! :lol: ; the spokesman also did a funny imitation of Sean Connery telling Pussy Gallore "I found your bra on my bed ; I didn't touch it... I knew it was a booby trap !"

-The audience was passionate, and had a genuine attachment to the LSO ; there were numerous Star Wars Celebration participants ; many of us asked for some Indy, but the encores were almost exclusively Star Wars... which was great anyway !

All in all, a truly wonderful event. I hope I can come back next year, to hear some Indiana Jones !

By the way (it's the first time I'm going to London !), does anyone recommend any good movie music stores ?

I hope you followed Greg1138's advice and checked out both HMV and Virgin, which is where I left an enormous amount of money in February 2005, when I went to London to JW film music concert. :lol:

BTW, is anybody considering going to this concert? I'll try my best to go, gotta check those CD stores and come close to bankruptcy once again ... :D:)

I hope you followed Greg1138's advice and checked out both HMV and Virgin, which is where I left an enormous amount of money in February 2005, when I went to London to JW film music concert. :lol:

BTW, is anybody considering going to this concert? I'll try my best to go, gotta check those CD stores and come close to bankruptcy once again ... :D:)

I did follow his advice... all to well ! I am close to bankrupt, but happy, and purchased :

-Superman, Rhino edition (at last !)

-Supergirl

-Cutthroat Island

-Medicine Man

-The Russia House

-Angela's Ashes

-Tristan and Isolde

-The Iron Giant

-A.I. (the musical DVD edition -- fabulous sound quality !)

I'd love to go to that concert, but my finances won't allow me to...

-A.I. (the musical DVD edition -- fabulous sound quality !)

It has rather horrible sound quality actually.

You really think so :) ? How come ?