Legend (not the score or film)

Seth

The description says it all but I feel some background is in order. I've been looking at a book of orchestral repertoire lists through 1970, and according to these tables the Houston Symphony played a piece called Legend by John Williams in 1949. I know Williams was only 17 at the time and hadn't really written anything of substance at that time, but could this be an unknown piece? I'm tempted to write it off as a mistake but I thought I would ask around here first. The same book lists the symphony he wrote as Symphony No. 4 too, so maybe there is some error here.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The description says it all but I feel some background is in order. I've been looking at a book of orchestral repertoire lists through 1970, and according to these tables the Houston Symphony played a piece called Legend by John Williams in 1949. I know Williams was only 17 at the time and hadn't really written anything of substance at that time, but could this be an unknown piece? I'm tempted to write it off as a mistake but I thought I would ask around here first. The same book lists the symphony he wrote as Symphony No. 4 too, so maybe there is some error here.

The first completed work by Williams was his paino sonate, written at the age of 19 and has never received a public performance. Also he only wrote one symphony. There is a common mistake that he wrote two, because some assume that his Sinfonietta for Woodwinds was his second. Which is not.

In the late 60's and early 70's there was some rumor that he might have been writting a second symphony, but those have never been confirmed, and they surelly look like an exageration, since after the 1971 London performance he withdraw his symphony from his catalogue for revision. The symphony was scheduled for a revised performance in 1988, with the Houston SO under Williams, but at the last minute was replaced by some film music