Anyone studying at Eastman School?

scissorhands

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...because we need someone who has access to their library.

http://esm.rochester.edu/sibley/specialc/f...ds/courage4.htm

:) There are a lot of interesting old pictures of John Williams (including parties at his house!)

Can't help you there, but I was conducted by Mark Davis Scatterday for 3 years ---- he replaced Donald Hunsberger as the Wind Ensemble conductor at Eastman back in 2003. My fiancee and I are tight with him (she played in the Wind Ensemble with me as well back when he conducted at Cornell University)

There are a lot of interesting old pictures of John Williams (including parties at his house!)

I can just picture Johnny crunked out of his mind on daiquiris, singing along to a karaoke disco version of the Star Wars theme!

Ray Barnsbury

There are a lot of interesting old pictures of John Williams (including parties at his house!)

I can just picture Johnny crunked out of his mind on daiquiris, singing along to a karaoke disco version of the Star Wars theme!

Ray Barnsbury

"Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars..."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

An update on this -

Apparently getting something from the Courage collection is like getting something from a museum. My friend Dan has only ever been able to "view" items from the collection.

I don't know about the photos but I just asked him to do everything within his power to get photocopies made of Superman 4 and that I'd pay for him to get them to me. They do have the complete score there, along with a a lot of other interesting things by Williams and Goldsmith. If he can succesfully get copies made of S4 then I think that will definately open the door to some of the other works there.

wow.

We have resort to Spy tactics

good ;)

They (the librarians) should scan or copy everything and let people use that instead of the originals.

What's the point of the library of you cannot use it...

An update on this -

Apparently getting something from the Courage collection is like getting something from a museum. My friend Dan has only ever been able to "view" items from the collection.

I don't know about the photos but I just asked him to do everything within his power to get photocopies made of Superman 4 and that I'd pay for him to get them to me. They do have the complete score there, along with a a lot of other interesting things by Williams and Goldsmith. If he can succesfully get copies made of S4 then I think that will definately open the door to some of the other works there.

That would be excellent!!!!

But whats the deal with superman IV?

I had the idea mattessino would have all info regarding this specially since he contacted Courage and his daughter, and he looked into courage's house...

But whats the deal with superman IV?

I had the idea mattessino would have all info regarding this specially since he contacted Courage and his daughter, and he looked into courage's house...

Well you see - Superman 4 (and also the original Superman) is part of the Courage Collection at the Sibley library. Courage donated all of the materials in the collection to Eastman becuase he is a graduate of the school. I'm sure Mike probably hit Sibley too becuase it seems like it would have been a great resource for info.

My friend is going to see if he can make copies by presenting it as a genuine academic need. He's a student for composition so I think he may be able to pass it off as "studying the orchestrations" or some kind of thing like that. I really hope it works out becuase I want to see these materials as much as you guys do!

I live just outside Rochester and have become good friends with the head librarian of the special collections. The only way to make photocopies of this material is by gaining written permission from Alexander Courage himself. Needless to say, that complicates things. I think the most feasible option is for someone to physically hand copy the scores.

Not very fashionable spectables.

Exactly! Who will think that some mild mannered music enthusiast sporting a pair of thick black specs is really on a covert manuscript op?

Don't get me wrong man, I'd much prefer a pro ninja tackle this particular task but sadly http://ninjaforhire.co.uk isn't much help at the minute :blink: