Hook

Maestro

I emailed Sony (I think it was Sony...) several months ago, maybe even a year. I asked if they were planning on releasing any kind of special edition DVD in the near future, since all we have now is the lame bare-bones version on DVD. They told me that there were no such plans, at least anytime soon.

I was just wondering if any of you Hook lovers or Hollywood-savvy folks knew what the deal was? I know I've read that Spielberg was unhappy with the rushed editing job, and I've always wished he would do something like a director's cut - but maybe he's just abandoned it and is just acting like it never happened.

I love this movie. I don't care what anyone says: it's funny, adventurous, touching; it features great acting and the score is absolutely phenomenal. I would love to have at least a restored print on DVD with some special features, even if Spielberg never gives us a director's cut.

Any news/rumors/shared love? Go...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also love to have a special edition of Hook. But, I'd probably rather have an official release of the complete score.

I also love the movie, probably moreso than most here.

While it did eventually cross the $100 million mark, the film was a major disappointment at the box office and probably on of the reasons why the DVD was given a simple release.

And the studio might have had some say on how much they wanted to spend on the DVD release.

Given some of the comments I've read over the years I have a feeling if Hook was given the expanded score treatment it would probably be a limited release, like 3000 units. If done correctly there is supposedly enough material for 3 discs.

Hook made 300 million world-wide.

The complete score would actually have a maximum of 4 discs, if the concert arrangements were added.

Hook made 300 million world-wide.

The complete score would actually have a maximum of 4 discs, if the concert arrangements were added.

So did Tristar's Godzilla but it was still considered a failure. More was expected from both films.

Now would be the perfect time for Sony or Spielberg to revisit Hook with the success of Pirates of the Caribbean. At this point it's too late to get a quality Special DVD Edition out in time for the next POTC. I don't think it will ever happen.

A 2-CD set as a limited edition of 3000 units is certainly possible. The original album seems to be OOP and lots of scores are coming from the Columbia/Sony archives. However, I would be perfectly satisfied with a 2-CD set containing the score as John Williams intended it for the movie in stellar sound and there would still be room for the most important alternates and one or two important concert versions. What fans made of Hook with all those 4-CD sets is really insane. It's like people collected all hook related material from as many different sources as possible just to fill as many discs as possible. The result is a nightmare of a listening experience with lots of endless repetition, cues from the DVD, the bootlegs and god knows what else while the sound quality is not only insufficient but also varying a lot over the course of all 4-CDs.

No thanks, no 4-CD set please but instead give me a well-packaged 2 CD set with Williams' intended version plus a few goodies.

No thanks, no 4-CD set please but instead give me a well-packaged 2 CD set with Williams' intended version plus a few goodies.

I'd settle for that.

Actually you can still buy the original OST at Amazon. So it's still in print it seems.

Maybe. Or they just have plenty of them in stock or get them from other retailers who still have it in stock. We can't be sure yet. Maybe they are already working on a special expanded release? Where's michael matessino when you need him :thumbup:

Hook probably needs a SE DVD more than any other Spielberg movie. The ones that need them, already have them.

Because Hook is already available in an anamorphic widescreen presentation with good sound.

1941, while loaded with extra goodies, features a crappy non-anamorphic print with crappy sound.

I was always disappointed that the Hook DVD doesn't have the trailer with Williams' prologue music. I still have yet to see that.

Ray Barnsbury

I have the Superbit DVD release of Hook,Is that any better than the regular DVD?

K.M.

Here's a link with some info about Superbit DVDs:

click

Well, Superbit is supposed to be better than regular DVD transfer, which is why most of the Superbit DVDs are bare bones, in order to leave as much room on the disc for better video and sound.

I would love a 2-CD edition of Hook, or 3-CD. I really don't know how much music, in terms of minutes, that Williams recorded for the movie, including the prologue. The so-called "ultimate" edition of the score, which is the 4-CD set, has a bunch of material from the "Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores" CD, which is, of course, filler to make it seem like altnerate takes. Pretty good ruse.

Tim

Because Hook is already available in an anamorphic widescreen presentation with good sound.

1941, while loaded with extra goodies, features a crappy non-anamorphic print with crappy sound.

But...it's 1941. It's a mess of a movie. I don't feel I'm missing much by watching the current DVD.

I would love a 2-CD edition of Hook, or 3-CD. I really don't know how much music, in terms of minutes, that Williams recorded for the movie, including the prologue. The so-called "ultimate" edition of the score, which is the 4-CD set, has a bunch of material from the "Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores" CD, which is, of course, filler to make it seem like altnerate takes. Pretty good ruse.

Exactly.I bet the entire score would fit on 2 c.d.'s a la Superman Rhino

Heh. I just bought Hook to match up the score to the film. Now it's on the "trade in" pile that I've been meaning to take to Hastings for a while.

don't know if anyone has said this, but

HOPEFULLY NEVER.

It's ok.i got the DVD for the iso score

For what, Hook? Because I would very much like to have that.