If Williams had composed Lord of the Rings scores...

Jarbas

i still dont get why everyone here disses AOTC so much. the CD aint boring at all and the love theme is gorgeous, if slightly reminiscent of hook. there are far far worse scores to bash than AOTC

AOTC is mediocre. The worst thing a Star Wars score can be.

But the album presentation is still better than some other JW scores, not to mention some notJW scores. Nevertheless, what they made of it in the movie itself, was outrageous.

Yes, it is one the best sequenced Williams album in recent memory. But that doesn't change much. There wasn't much more to include on it after all.

Karol, who likes the album a bit, but doesn't like the actual score in the film.

i still dont get why everyone here disses AOTC so much. the CD aint boring at all and the love theme is gorgeous, if slightly reminiscent of hook. there are far far worse scores to bash than AOTC
AOTC is mediocre. The worst thing a Star Wars score can be.

Seconded.

But that is still based on the assumption that AotC is a Star Wars score. Technically, it is, but musically it's very far away from it. I don't think Williams ever wrote something more boring than Bounty Hunter Pursuit or Chase Through Corouscant. It may be off beat for Williams, but that doesn't automatically mean it's any good.

I don't think Williams ever wrote something more boring than Bounty Hunter Pursuit or Chase Through Corouscant.

not even the droning in Nixon? how about saving private ryan?

Nixon and SPR? Are you kidding? The latter is very definition of film music wallpaper. Even Spielberg admited it in the liner notes. The film would have worked as well without any score at all.

That said, Chase doesn't have much impact also.

Karol

Hymn is a great piece, yes. Too bad it wasn't used as an actual film score though. It makes it superfluous in the end. Pity.

Karol

I don't consider SPR's Hymn part of the score. It's an accompanying piece, that plays over the end credits. I like Revisiting Normandy and Omaha Beach, though. But after that, the album suffers from being "more of the same."

One cue that I always liked is Wade's Death. Maybe because it's the only one where this raw and cold approach really enhances the scene. It's not a great listen but works wonders in the context. Dark Williams at his best. The rest I can listen to but doesn't do much for me, as a score composed for the film.

Karol

I don't think Williams ever wrote something more boring than Bounty Hunter Pursuit or Chase Through Corouscant.

Couldn't possibly disagree more, personally. They've got slow sections--as far as interest goes, I mean, not tempo--but there's a lot of music in there that I like. "Jango's Escape" is one of my favorite "modern" Williams action cues, too. The love theme is beautiful, if slightly flawed in its presentation, and the Force theme segue into DOTF is just too much fun for me to ignore, even though these are not my favorite renditions of either theme. The entire finale is great--listening to that Imperial-March-to-love-theme-to-end-credits transition is great when you're in the car. The cutesy music gets old, but it serves its purpose in a film that could have been a lot better.

Yes, if I had to ditch one SW soundtrack, I'd pick AOTC without hesitation. But that's not to say I have any interest in ditching it. But hey, at least its sound quality is leagues ahead of the runner-up for least interesting SW score, ROTJ--which is not to say I have any interest in ditching it, either. :)

Heck, what am I talking about...the only film scoring I've heard with worse sound quality than some cues in ROTJ is the unreleased music from IJ: TLC. Does anyone know where that music came from and why it sounds like a 2-kbps mp3 being played through Stone Age speakers?

Heck, what am I talking about...the only film scoring I've heard with worse sound quality than some cues in ROTJ is the unreleased music from IJ: TLC. Does anyone know where that music came from and why it sounds like a 2-kbps mp3 being played through Stone Age speakers?

Hmm,here's my theory.Whoever stole it had to do so in a hurry and not noticeably.I suspect it was recorded on a portable cassette recorder from the music playing through loudspeakers in the studio(like the Botanicus E.T. cue was recorded),or dubbed on a cassette recorder from the headphone jack of the device playing the master tapes.Obviously the person who recorded it did not have time to fiddle with settings.Since it had so much hiss(tape and recorder was probably of poor quality),it went through several de-hissing software programs before reaching us

Yes, if I had to ditch one SW soundtrack, I'd pick AOTC without hesitation.

i'd pick TPM, cos i'd keep GoodMusician's edit. :)

Those at least function as good, solid film music.

but most of it is boring on CD...which was my point.