I admit I'm a failure

Goldsmithfan

Well everyone, I've been living a lie. I act like I'm a true fan of film scores, a fairly knowledgeable one at that, but I'm really a phony.

Ya see, I'm really lacking in the Schifrin and Herrmann areas.

Here's a list of all of the Schifrin scores I have:

The Exorcist (the rejected bits on the 25th anniversary CD)

And here's a list containing all of the Herrmann scores I have:

Taxi Driver

SEE! I'm a total douche! I need help!

What I really need are some reccomendations.

I'll probably sound like an idiot saying this, but I'm not a big fan of Schifrin's "bwucka-bwucka-bwow-wow" guitar type scores. They don't settle well with me. I do, however like his melodic style when it's not so "bwucka-bwucka". I plan on getting Caveman, but I don't recall ever having heard a serious Schifrin score that sounded anything like his score for The Exorcist. If there is one, I'd love to have it. [Which brings up the question, "Why haven't they recorded ALL of what he wrote for The Exorcist instead of leaving us hanging with the 13 or so minutes on the 25th annivesary rerelease?"]

Anyway, I'm expecting a thrashing for this, but I had to be honest and ask for some guidance. I know Vertigo and North by Northwest are probably going to be mentioned in the near future . . . along with Psycho.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard the rejected Exorcist music except for the music in that freaky trailer that was not shown in theaters.

I'd like to hear more of it though

Recommended Herrmann:

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Jason And The Argonauts

7th Voyage Of Sinbad

Vertigo

Psycho

On Dangerous Ground

Mysterious Island

North By Northwest

The Wrong Man

3 Worlds Of Gulliver

Beneath The 12-Mile Reef

On Dangerous Ground

Snows Of Kilimanjaro, The / 5 Fingers

Day The Earth Stood Still

Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Marnie

Torn Curtain

The Trouble With Harry

The Egyptian

Citizen Kane

You should be a bloody shamed of yourself. I call for Marc to ban you permanently. Without the possibility of reprieve or parole, you will be taken from this place, and sent to the dylithium mines at Ban-a-Pente, there you will spend the rest of your natural life.

A bout Herrmann, I can recommand acompilation made by Silva screen as en essential of ...Otherwise my favourite are : Obsessions, Vertigo, North by Northwest ( actually the Unicorn Kanchana version of the re-recording is one minute longer than the Varese Sarabande version, and sounds more dry ...)Mysterious Island , Torn Curtain ( conducted by Elmer Bernstein ) and I confess I prefer some compilations made by Benny with Decca Label .

You should be a bloody shamed of yourself. I call for Marc to ban you permanently. Without the possibility of reprieve or parole, you will be taken from this place, and sent to the dylithium mines at Ban-a-Pente, there you will spend the rest of your natural life.

Well, that would be fairly hypocritical of me.

- Marc, who only has a re-recording of Torn Curtain and no Schifrin.

Silva's The Essential Bernard Herrmann is indeed a good compilation to start with.

As for Schifrin, maybe Bullit, The Eagle Has Landed, Dirty Harry (not for all tastes) & Magnum Force (somehow seams more "mainstream"), Abominable.

If you are interested in getting Kelly's Heroes, I have an extra brand-new & sealed disc I could trade you-- one of a few mistakes I made, ordering the same title from two retailers (having forgotten to take the title out of one of the shopping carts :) ).

The only schriffin i have is the Mission imposible TV theme....

And the only hermann i have is the psyco bit in 'tribute to film composers' by JW...

:)

I'm just a JW Williams fan, and some other composers too... and damn happy with it!

I'm not expert on Schifrin, but you need to get Dirty Harry and Magnum Force. They're essential albums, and belong in every score fan's collection. If you like them, get THX 1138 from FSM and Bullitt from Aleph.

As for Herrmann, you simply must get Vertigo. Varese released CDs of both the OST recording (conducted - not very well, according to BH - by Muir Mathieson), and a superb re-recording conducted by Joel McNeely. Both are great albums. After that, get these two compilations: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann, with Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra; and The Film Scores with Salonen conducting the LA Philharmonic. Between them they cover a huge range of Herrmann scores, and should point you in the direction of what to check out next.

Just avoid the Tony Bremner-conducted Citizen Kane album, it's terrible.

Never heard a note of Schiffrin and the only Herrman I have is a re-recording collection representing a few cues from about 20 of his scores... which I still haven't listened to yet...

Edit: and no, it isn't the Tony Bremner one mentioned above.

Well, that would be fairly hypocritical of me.

- Marc, who only has a re-recording of Torn Curtain and no Schifrin.

"Ban those men!"

"Ban yourself!"

Anyway, I'm expecting a thrashing for this, but I had to be honest and ask for some guidance. I know Vertigo and North by Northwest are probably going to be mentioned in the near future . . . along with Psycho.

Those would be my recommendations, along with the Gerhardt compilation (which includes the best rendition of the Citizen Kane aria I've heard) and Herrmann's own Decca compilations. The Salonen album is excellent as well.

Marian - who thinks Herrmann works very well on compilations. :lol:

Thanks to everyone for your reccomentdations. Or if you just left comments that's cool too. I never knew they could send you to Ban-a-Pente for not having enough Schifrin or Herrmann. Kinda scares me really.

Thanks to everyone for your reccomentdations. Or if you just left comments that's cool too. I never knew they could send you to Ban-a-Pente for not having enough Schifrin or Herrmann. Kinda scares me really.

Tell it to the judge.

Lalo Schifrin rocks, but his music is admittedly something of a required taste. If you have an affinity for jazz you will probably enjoy it more. My Schifrin recommendations would include:

Cool Hand Luke - the Tar Sequence is magnificent but the rest is great too.

Che - if you want something completely different; a very South American feel, but a cut above the pan pipe rubbish to be heard at your local shopping mall. La Columna is probably the highlight.

The Amityville Horror - not easy listening by any means, but one of the most effective horror scores ever written.

Mannix - one of my favourites, but you will need to like jazz. Perfect music to play in the convertible* and watch girls go by ;)

The Fox - one of Schifrin's more lyrical efforts. I found it a bit boring when I first got it but it is a real 'grower'.

Dirty Harry Anthology - if you are not sure about getting the superb Dirty Harry and Magnum Force, at least get this so you can decide whether or not you like that type of Schifrin sound.

Kelly's Heroes - a very fun and eclectic score with a bit of everything; I'd take up Olivier's offer if I were you!

The Osterman Weekend - very 80's sounding but with a nice love theme.

Rollercoaster - do you like disco?! Fist-eatingly embarrassing in parts, but despite that you'll find yourself humming it after a couple of listens and practising your Travolta moves...

There are plenty of other good scores from Schifrin, but many remain sadly unreleased. I wish someone would release a CD of his music for Starsky & Hutch. Check out his website at Lalo Schifrin

Damien :lol:

* convertible / soft top required

Well everyone, I've been living a lie. I act like I'm a true fan of film scores, a fairly knowledgeable one at that, but I'm really a phony.

Taxi Driver

I'll probably sound like an idiot saying this, but I'm not a big fan of Schifrin's "bwucka-bwucka-bwow-wow" guitar type scores. They don't settle well with me. I do, however like his melodic style when it's not so "bwucka-bwucka". I plan on getting Caveman, but I don't recall ever having heard a serious Schifrin score that sounded anything like his score for The Exorcist. If there is one, I'd love to have it. [Which brings up the question, "Why haven't they recorded ALL of what he wrote for The Exorcist instead of leaving us hanging with the 13 or so minutes on the 25th annivesary rerelease?"]

wow

relax max

I don't have everything but I consider my self a film music fan. I couldn't compete with these guys here but I still love this kind of music and collect as much as I can.

Anyone unfamiliar with Lalo Schifrin's music (or who knows only his funky 70's sound) might want to watch this clip of the Tar Sequence from Cool Hand Luke that someone has posted on youtube.

The music starts, quietly at first, at about 02:15. Great movie, great music.

Taxi Driver

wow

relax max

I don't have everything but I consider my self a film music fan. I couldn't compete with these guys here but I still love this kind of music and collect as much as I can.

I was really just joking about the whole "failure" thing, but I appreciate the Flight of the Navigator reference!

I'm not out to keep up with anyone, but I really liked The Exorcist and Taxi Driver so I wanted to get people's idea of what I should follow them up with.