Mark Mancina

Panthera

Speed. Twister has that nice Americana theme. I like the themes to Bad Boys and Training Day. Con Air is fun is how terrible it is.

Morlock- not terribley impressed, but on the lookout for Moll Flanders, which is supposedly a really good dramatic score of his

All his music sounds very similar, but his theme and score for Speed was very effective. Job respectably done.

Even if some of it does sound like music from Metal Gear Solid.

Metal Gear Solid didn't exist in 1994 (it was just Metal Gear than). So there.

So there? The 'death tune' on the old NES version was the same as it was in the PS version. So there.

Not to mention that it works very well in the film.

Morlock- who still does not think Mancina is a notable film composer for good or ill

Well, I don't know anything about Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid. I googled it. So THERE!

That's what happens when one is eager to be a smartass by pretending they know about something when they actually know bugger all! So there :)

Well, I figure if people realize I don't know what I'm talking about only every once in a while, I'm ahead (Besides- the 'So there!' in the original post was added specificaly to intone that I am not very familiar with MGS...I guess unsuccessfully).

Speed was decent (although the album is all over the place), and very effective in the film.

I need to listen to Twister outside of the film. I've always liked that music when seeing the movie.

I quite like the theme from Bad Boys, but the rest of the score is decidedly blah.

Haven't heard much of his other stuff (except his contributions to The Lion King, I guess). Not a very notable composer, I think, but he's done a few decent scores.

I really enjoy his music to The Haunted Mansion, and I like the two score tracks on The Lion King on Broadway.

I'm so glad someone finally mentioned The Haunted Mansion, Panthera. It's truly a fun score, though largely repetitive and difficult to get your hands on. The full release that was given to members of the orchestra and so forth contains every cue on a separate track, unedited and in pristine sound quality. The overture, part of which is available in the hideous "Haunted Hits" release, is an intelligent and enjoyable cue. The rest of the score consists mostly of variations on the theme Mancina establishes in the overture and on "Grim Grinning Ghosts," Buddy Baker's theme for the Disneyland ride that inspired the movie. The overture is the only truly exceptional piece; the rest is certainly enjoyable, as long as you don't listen to it all in one sitting.

I thought the score to Tarzan worked pretty well. Again, not brilliant, per se, but more than adequate in the film. There are some fun moments. Other than those two scores, I don't think I've heard much of Mr. Mancina's other work.

I thought the score to Tarzan worked pretty well. Again, not brilliant, per se, but more than adequate in the film. There are some fun moments. Other than those two scores, I don't think I've heard much of Mr. Mancina's other work.

Something is terribly wrong with a score when the best highlight is a direct, orchestral quotation of a Phil Collins ballad.

"Now I, I wish it would rain down... down on me"

Need I go on? Or is the single-handed destruction of Peter Gabriel's band Genesis enough for you?

personally I love twister...actually watched it two days ago lol...

The effects havn't aged too well...and I found some of the things a bit sloppy... such as how clearly you can see the helicoptor in the truck's window/side panel in the opening shots.

Personally, I love that shot. Everytime I drive on a high way, as I get on it from the on ramp, and a car goes by, I kinda focus on it and I hear the music playing. I personally think it's a great score.

I do have to admit that watching the film, I could hear how you could do it different... such as the revealation of Dorothy in the beginning had no music except light source in the distance... I'd imagine some composers would want to put music over it but I felt it was a good choice not to. The score was a good adventure score and did it's job well. I still like to listen to it when I drive heh...

But past that, I'm unfamiliar withall his other works excepting Tarzan...and that's only because a friend of mine loves Phil Collins and happened to play the cd to that before and I sat there thinking "Who is this... it almost sounds zimmer, but It's not... it is disney and has a kind of generic sound...Maybe Debney..." which is who I ended up guesing lol... There were a few things latter that as I listened I could go "ah...Mancina" but yea... thats about all my experience has been.

Need I go on? Or is the single-handed destruction of Peter Gabriel's band Genesis enough for you?

You must be joking?

Peter who?

Cos jesus he knows me

And he knows Im right

Ive been talking to jesus all my life

Oh yes he knows me

And he knows Im right

And hes been telling me

Everything is alright

ironically Steef, the guy who played the Tarzan cd is also the new music director of one of the churches at which I play (Catholic). And we were to put on something called a "Youth Flex"which is where all the Catholic youth from around the county come and have this sort of workshop like thing and then we put on a concert for them.

Well, he wanted to do that song..."Jesus He Knows Me." and I was...morally opposed to it as I felt that deespite the message being true, singing to a bunch of kids about evangelicals and a comical/satirical matter was both innapropriate and near sighted... well, to add insult to injury, he decided to do a skit in the middle of it that would really bring the message home:

In the middle, we'd to a bit of instrumental while he put on his costume of gaudy (no pun intended) glasses and coat and went out and healed people in the audience--planted people--and when he failed to do so for one, he'd pretend to...take his money, and send him blindly away...

Suffice it to say when that was disclosed during the practice I kinda walked out and said I wouldn't be there. Contacted the priest of the church and told him, but he was out of town so all I got was some beurocratical nonesense from the lady in charge telling me that the skit would not go on but that both she and Paul had decided there was nothing wrong with the song and they would perform it and she hoped to see me there (yea right).

But yea... suffice it to say, that song holds a slightly different meaning to me lol. Not saying it's bad or that it's message didn't ring true--in fact, I am a firm believer in finding personal truth and not taking what people say to be the literal truth (hence why I dont' believe most of the people I talk to ont he forum :-p jk) but I found it to be an inapropriate use of the song in front of children who would only think that we were condoning making fun of other religions... including evangelicals. God knows they already hate the catholics in this area.

Anyways!

Marc Mancina...yea... freind or foe?:-p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Speed 2 and Twister are my two favorite scores of his. I've never heard Return to Paradise; I'll have to check it out

I really like Twister, especially during storms. Whenever me or my girl drive through a heavy storm, we make sure to break out the Twister album, it always gets a laugh.

Speed is good but I don't think I made it through the whole album. Never listened to Speed 2 yet. I enjoy Tarzan from time to time.

• 10 years later...

Just saw the words “Mark” and “Mancina” which means I must proclaim my love for Twister, Bad Boys, and Speed 2 with no context.

Mancina is great. SPEED, TWISTER, TARZAN, MOANA...the usual suspects. And his work with ELP, Yes and other prog rock acts. But a somewhat overlooked gem is RETURN TO PARADISE from 1998. I've probably touted that score previously in this thread.

Didn't quite grab on to BLOOD+ when I sampled it years ago (since that's the score that ressurected the thread), but might give it another shot.

I can only agree with @StarkI absolutely adore Twister - still listen to this score regularly. "Mobil Home", "Cow" ... I better stop with favourite tracks. Because in the end I would list every track :D 

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Didn't quite grab on to BLOOD+ when I sampled it years ago (since that's the score that ressurected the thread), but might give it another shot.

The score on the whole is good, nothing ground-breaking but quite solid. That particular cue I posted, however, blew my mind.