The weirdest soundtrack obsession

Trumpeteer

The blog at Entertainment Weekly asked people to write in about their weird soundtrack obsessions. Some interesting ones there, but I thought you'd all like to read about the winner.

I made a comment in the post, so I hope I represent jwfan.com well.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link works for me.

I guess one of my strange ost habits would be my utter inability to play a piece through from start to finish in one play. I 'rewind' parts I love so much that a 5 minute piece can easily take 30 mins to get through.

Once again showcasing mankind's ignorance about soundtracks.

Are you referring to the fact that some of the comments refer to film song albums?

Because I'd disagree.

Weirdest soundtrack obsession? Surely that must be Thor at FSM, who often refuses to buy some albums because they are "too complete", and doesn't like albums that are in chronlogical order. :)

Weirdest soundtrack obsession? Surely that must be Thor at FSM, who often refuses to buy some albums because they are "too complete", and doesn't like albums that are in chronlogical order. :)

Well, I agree with Thor, as most of the times I do -- it seems we kind see eye-to-eye in some of this matters.

Now, by strangest obesession is to hunt down some recording because there is one John T. Williams playing piano for ten seconds.

How about editng the expanded RotS score form the videogame cues.That beats merely putting film cues in order.

GoodMusician goes a step above everyone else thought with his re-edits of the SW OT

How about making tapes of the Star Wars soundtracks so that they'd be in exactly the same order as the music in the films?

If that's considered "the weirdest," then I must be, like, ultra-weird.

Those people sure have a bunch of lame soundtracks.

If they only visited FSM, JWFAN.COM, Moviemusic.com, Intrada etc etc then they would discover the true soundtrack obsessions.

Weirdest soundtrack obsession? Surely that must be Thor at FSM, who often refuses to buy some albums because they are "too complete", and doesn't like albums that are in chronlogical order. ;)

Well, I agree with Thor, as most of the times I do -- it seems we kind see eye-to-eye in some of this matters.

Yeah but you're not a stick in the mud like he usually is.

I don't get what's so weird about that - aren't the SW scores already in film order? Either I'm missing something, or that one really is lame...

Must have been the original LP or CD Polydor releases as they were not in film order as far as I know.

Yes we must have a set rule of guidlines for enjoying John Williams' music as intended.

Anyone who breaks that rule must be punished.

Just goes to show how the normal people in your life would react if they really knew the kinds of things you discuss here... :)

Ray Barnsbury

:lol:

DVD and video game ripping wins, I think, hands down!

I stumped the "nerdiest" JW person I know (outside this board, of course) when I mentioned I'd gotten the Checkmate CD for Christmas. He's never been here though - if he only knew....

ooOoo... I love Checkmate hehe...

Then again, I have weird taste even for a JW fan...

I apologise, but loving Checkmate means you have an excelent taste :lol:

I agree too. I'm loving Checkmate - there's a whole new world of early JW I haven't discovered yet. I got Jazz Beginnings as well - wow!

Merely listening to film music makes me weird from the viewpoint of all but about 3 of my uni friends; one of whom, I'm pleased to say, currently has my Two Towers CR set.

One of my closer friends constantly threatens to slit his wrists (provides endless hours of amusement for the rest of us) whenever one of us makes any kind of programming error... imagine what he'd do if I told him what I was trying to do earlier with a Life on Mars DVD.

Hey, all. I've been trying to figure out the source of some of the music used in this trailer for the first POTC movie. I know everything after "hello, poppet," but the stuff beforehand is perplexing.

The first thing you hear is just a boomy sound effect, which I'm assuming was just a stock sound and not from any movie soundtrack. That's rip-able from the DVD, so no worries there. Then the beginning of "Main Title Deconstruction" (from Danny Elfman's Planet of the Apes) can be heard, but some string writing is mixed on top of the percussion. Does anyone know what this is? It's not in the OSTs for Planet of the Apes, Drop Zone, or Backdraft--those are the three film scores used in the trailer, according to soundtrack.net--and it's not part of X-Ray Dog's "Voices of War," either. I'm guessing it's just something the music editor played on a synthesizer and mixed it in, but I could certainly be mistaken, and if I am, I'd like to get my hands on that piece.

After that is a percussion passage from PotA's "The Hunt," I believe, looped and edited a bit. Then there is a boomy cutoff that I don't recognize from the PotA OST. Anyone know where that's from, or if it's simply a stock effect?

Sorry to be asking such strange and arcane questions, but I'd really like to know... ;)

I believe this is more appropriate in this topic