The Worst thing that ever happened in film music

AI

what is worse?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. can you even decide

• Mediaventures
    • Santalolalla

Neither is the worst thing that ever happened in film music. Tis the day Jerry Goldsmith passed on... that was definately the worst.

And to morlock, shortened music-writing time can occasionally produce good results: just ask Elliot Goldenthal (or if you to were be more generalized, ask Nick Meyer - Trek II had the least resources of any Trek, yet look what happened). Besides, John Barry didn't have a lot of time to write Goldfinger... the results speak for themselves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Datameister! I agree 110%.

Scores are the product of not only what the composer wants, but what the studio wants. This is all too familiar with the amount of scores that get rejected these days. So don't just blame the composer(s).

I will say that I'm glad that MV didn't completely corrupt Gregson-Williams. Narnia is one of my favorite scores of recent years.

:P

Ray Barnsbury

This poll was deliberately tongue-in-cheek. An extreme caricature.

And it worked.

The original poster just doesn't like MV or Santa-whatever and wanted to create a discussion about who is worse based on a poll of JW fans. It has nothing to do with film music in general.

I got a good laugh out of it.

Nobody is criticizing anyone here with personal attacks for liking the music (well there are a few exceptions ;)). People are just expressing their views on the subject.

If this subject is that bad that you get all bent out of shape over it then you might wanna take a look at current events going on in the world and realize how silly this is.

I will say that I'm glad that MV didn't completely corrupt Gregson-Williams. Narnia is one of my favorite scores of recent years.

:)

Ray Barnsbury

Double :angry::thumbup:

Only behind Indiana Jones IV, the Narnia sequel is my most anticipated score.

I just can't get into Narnia. I've tried, but everytime I put it on my brain just tunes out. It just doesn't hold my attention.

And clearly, this poll was a joke. I'm surprised so many of you took it as seriously as you did.

I just can't get into Narnia. I've tried, but everytime I put it on my brain just tunes out. It just doesn't hold my attention.

Same here. I've liked a few of the Gregson-Williams scores I've heard, but I just can't find much of interest in that one. :)

I'm a big HGW fan, but everything about Narnia dissapointed me. Film was utterly unmemorable, score was not far better.

I'm a big HGW fan, but everything about Narnia dissapointed me. Film was utterly unmemorable, score was not far better.

Certainly one of the thinnest scores for a child epic of this kind and scope. When i was on a 'LOTR' concert here in Berlin last weekend, i realized how lame a lot of Shore's non-melodic writing actually is when performed without the wizardry of modern recording techniques...compared to 'Narnia', it still came out smelling like roses.

And clearly, this poll was a joke. I'm surprised so many of you took it as seriously as you did.

Oh I'm very serious about it. I take the matter very very seriously.

Seriously I do.

I like HGW's "Chronicles of Narnia" very much, but I find "Kingdom of Heaven" better. "Sinbad" is very enjoyable, the theme especially, but I don't listen to it very often.

Maybe I overstated things. Of course I don't think it's up there with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings and the rest. But IMO it's certainly better than average. lordskylark's complete edit does better justice to the score than the OST.

I'll have to listen to Kingdom of Heaven again. It didn't make much of an impression last I tried listening to it. Granted, I was surfing the web and not paying much attention however.

Based on other scores of HGW's, like Sinbad and KoH, I get the feeling that he was influenced by the director or studio to write in more of what we would call an MV sound for Narnia. The score is a far cry from true MV "music," but it does have some parallel elements (the background electronics during the train and battle sequences, the stereotypical "power anthem" chord progressions, etc). As much as I love the score for its wide variety of themes and magical feel, I find Sinbad in particular to be a greater, more symphonic work.

Ray Barnsbury

Aw, I still quite like the film. It's not perfect, but it's a wonderful presentation of the story, and features some terrific performances.

Ray Barnsbury

but it's a wonderful presentation of the story,

That doesn't say much for th story. The entry into the world is terrific. But once it gets into te story, with the Queen and finding Aslan, it is 100% children's fair, very Disney-wold look.

Aw, I still quite like the film. It's not perfect, but it's a wonderful presentation of the story, and features some terrific performances.

Ray Barnsbury

Dittos. I thought Georgie Henley stole the show. Best of the four kids anyway.

That doesn't say much for th story. The entry into the world is terrific. But once it gets into te story, with the Queen and finding Beslan, it is 100% children's fair, very Disney-wold look.

Well, it is Disney. And it is a children's book. Not that that means it has to be shallow, but yeah. :)

I've listened to Kingdom of Heaven again. It's a good score, but not so much to my preferred taste. Generally speaking I thought it was dark and harsh. And I'm not saying that's bad or inappropriate. Just not necessarily to my liking. (I noticed that The Battle of Kerak and The Battle from Narnia both start the same with that bass solo or whatever it is.)

I'm listening to Sinbad right now. It's definitely a fun, bold adventure. Rescue! is addicting. Seems a little repetitive perhaps.

But overall I prefer Narnia. It's a warm, magical fantasy - which is what I generally prefer.

BTW, it's Aslan. Beslan is a Russian town. Unless you saw a different version of the movie than I.

Whoa...MAJOR typo. I guess it was on my mind recently....whoa. Didn't mean that all. Must be more careful when typing.

Yeah, Georgie Henley was amazing! Skandar (Edmund) was great too....ironically, I found that the two oldest kids were the least of the four main actors. And Tilda Swinton as the White Witch was perfect. I just love watching her chilling performance. The film just connected with me overall, and I hadn't even read the books. Much moreso than the LotR series.

Ray Barnsbury

....ironically, I found that the two oldest kids were the least of the four main actors.

Yes, and the oldest and the nominal lead was the least of them all. Personally my favorite performances were the voice acting for the Beavers and especially James McAvoy's Tumnus.