Sign in to follow this  
Miguel Andrade

For the Fallen

I am in shock as I'm sure everyone who as read about this is.

I just can't understand how this things happen. That this kids, so early in their life see it cut down by some sort of madman...

My prayers go for those who lsot their loved ones today.

Sadly the death toll is getting higher as the news is updated. My heart goes out to those who have lost family and friends.

I keep thinking back to the day we had 23 people killed in 1991 at the Luby's here in town. My mom lost a few friends and I knew someone who managed to survive but he was never the same.

This is apparently the worst mass shooting in US history...there are conflicting reports of the death toll, ranging from 22-32, including the gunman.

I can't fathom this, and my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected. How senseless and tragic.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm sure guns are banned at Virginia Tech and that didn't work.

At any rate this is a horrible tragedy. There is some fairly intense video footage where you can hear gunfire floating around.

Justin

At any rate this is a horrible tragedy. There is some fairly intense video footage where you can hear gunfire floating around.

Justin

Across the entire country, of course. In Australia, after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 where 35 people were shot, the government banned and heavily restricted the legal ownership of all firearms and forced everyone to turn in their guns. Since then, no such shooting has ever occurred. Why can't the same be done in the United States to prevent tragedies like this? Oh, that stupid gun lobby that lacks all common sense.

This is apparently the worst mass shooting in US history...there are conflicting reports of the death toll, ranging from 22-32, including the gunman.

Ray Barnsbury

It's 33 at the moment.

Justin

Across the entire country, of course. In Australia, after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 where 35 people were shot, the government banned and heavily restricted the legal ownership of all firearms and forced everyone to turn in their guns. Since then, no such shooting has ever occurred. Why can't the same be done in the United States to prevent tragedies like this? Oh, that stupid gun lobby that lacks all common sense.

don't politicize this you idiot, this is a trajedy, there are appropriate places to discuss gun control, but not on this board.

VT_Emblem.gif

Dopey bastards gonna ban guns yet?

The official statement seems to be that, as always, everyone is allowed to own guns, and the point is preventing "bad people" from getting them.

Marian - who doesn't see how anyone could miss the contradiction in this concept.

The whole thing makes me sick, it's so senseless. And the shooter took the easy way out and blew himself away too, coward. I just can't understand why these things happen. It could've been any of our campuses, any of our friends I think when I see this on TV. You don't know what weirdos are lurking around out there.

They're all in my thoughts and prayers, they will be reeling from this for a long time to come.

I've been hearing alot about this the last couple of days. My dad works with a guy who's son went to the school. I can't imagine how terriying that was for him. Apparantly, 32 were killed and 29 were injured.

One has to wonder what on earth went on in that guys early (or recent) life, to make him do such a thing to other people. In nearly all such cases, the killers have been victims themselves at some stage of the timeline. That aside, this is a nightmare and I would find it extremely hard to get over if it were one of my relatives lined up and executed in such a clinical way. Everybody must be going through a terrible time over there right now. What else can I say? Sorry to hear of this event :)

Out of every great evil must come some good: Liviu Librescu, a 77 year old engineering professor and holocaust survivor, used his own body to barricade the door to his classroom when the shots started to allow his students time to escape through the windows. He was shot through the door and killed. That, my friends, is a hero.

Out of every great evil must come some good: Liviu Librescu, a 77 year old engineering professor and holocaust survivor, used his own body to barricade the door to his classroom when the shots started to allow his students time to escape through the windows. He was shot through the door and killed. That, my friends, is a hero.

I was just about to post about that.....he was a friend of my grandfather's. He visited him just a few weeks ago. His widow asked my grandfather to speak at his funeral (Professor Libresco will be buried here).

I find it so heartbreaking that this was the matter of depressed young man....the casual reason for this massacre. All murder is terrible, but the arbitrary nature of it is just really hard for me to grasp.

sort of related but it was announced a few hours ago that a bomb threat had been found on my campus and a section has now been shut down. There were around 4 helicopters flying around and a ton of police. Hope it stays a threat.

Now there are apparently 27 videos of the shooter that have been sent to NBC, showing him rant about his reasons for the massacre, before it happened. I really can't watch this though, it makes me absolutely sick.

Ray Barnsbury

I cannot believe the lack of empathy displayed in this thread. Depression and psychological problems are no laughing matters.

Some disease drove this man...this child to commit this terrible and desperate act.

Can we be truly sure he is not one of the victims also?

I do not think that the tragedy of the shooting and the tragedy of the shooter should be discussed hand in hand. They may all have been victims, but the shooter was a victim who murdered people. I think it is a great crime onto the memories of those murdered in cold blood to discuss their murderer in the same breath.

Victim as he was (Certainly something drives a person to murder), the facts remain.