Being big film music fans, we're all obviously film buffs too...

Quintus

How big is the gap?

I love JW film scores and much of his art regardless of composer, but movies themselves will always be my speciality. Basically, I'm more aware of who adapted the screenplay for Schindler's List than I am of who did the score editing for LOTR.

How about you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same. I love film scores, and I concider myself something of a buff (it's relative, though), but I am primarily a film person. I love film and live film, experiment in film (well, doodle would be a more accurate description), hope to work in film. I am the movie person for people who know me. I am also the film score person, for those rare occaisions when someone notices and/or is looking for a score.

Morlock- who also knows more about Steven Zaillian (and Aaron Sorkin touch-ups) than the LoTR score editor

I am the movie person for people who know me. I am also the film score person, for those rare occaisions when someone notices and/or is looking for a score.

Me to a tee.

I love movies, and am getting my degree in film/video, but film music is my main passion. And the combinaton of both is what can be really exhilarating!

Ray Barnsbury

Yes to both although right now my passion is film scores. I've lost some interest in the film industry the last 10 years or so.

I'm a big fan of a lot of movies, but I generally like the music more than the movie itself. I also have a tendency to judge the movie itself primarily by the score. And there are plenty of movies that I watch for no reason other than the soundtrack.

I'm a movie fan first, however I admire every aspect of movie making but probably scoring more than the rest. Mainly because I know more about the scoring process than, say, the editing process. Having said that, I can recognise and criticize pacing, writing, cinematography, direction and the rest and that through the combination of these things a truly great movie is born.

So yeah, I'm a movie buff.

Hm, this is an interesting question for me. There are a lot of movies I enjoy, I watch and enjoy movies on a different level than most of my family and friends. But a real buff? I don't know if I see enough movies to qualify, plus I don't have a prayer of keeping up with the most knowledgable here in a truly deep film discussion. So I think I qualify more for the score side than the film side. And as I've said so many times, the last almost 10 years now there's been so much more great TV than great movies, it's where the sci-fi/fantasy/etc genre is thriving right now.

I like movies plenty--more than I often admit to myself, actually--but film scores are a bigger passion of mine. These days, I experience movies through their music. At any given point in a movie, I try to be thinking about the score at least a little bit. Sometimes, listening to the music takes up 70 or 80% of my brainpower; I start transcribing in my head, working out the piano fingerings, deciding if the bass line would be more appropriately played in simple octaves or as part of chordal figures in the left hand, etc. The movie itself may be disappointing (and these days, they often are), but an enjoyable score will keep me happy...usually.

Take TPM for example. It was not a great movie. But it had a complex, intelligent, fun score. If it had been scored with cheap synths and trite melodies, my opinion of the whole film would be dragged down. My enjoyment of the score has quite a large bearing on my enjoyment of the movie.

I'm not really a buff of either, but those who know me best know that I have a passion for films. Only a select few know about my soundtrack (John Williams) issues, and those people are also fans.

JW is the converging center of geekdom

My new sig, finally replacing the 2005 sig.

Anyway, I'd think it'd be kind of wierd if we weren't movie fans. But some people are ALL MOVIES buffs (Tarantino comes to mind), and ALL SCORES buffs. I like to tell everybody that I'm a "Good film" buff.

Since I've made many--no, most of my friends through music activities, they all know me as their resident John Williams fanatic.

Well, that's my title when I'm not assuming that of "local Disneyland freak." B)

Music is one of my passion

Movies are one of my passion

The two of them had to converge someday, and there is much more movie music as there is music movies ;)

My uni friends know I'm into films/film music/filmmaking, but one of them is constantly amused that I haven't seen many classics - Ben Hur for example.

But music is my new passion in life. Just so happens that 94% of that is film music (yes I'm sad enough to have just calculated that)

If I had more confidence in life and a more outgoing personality, I would be studying cinematography or editing (or some area of post-pro), or something like that, but I'm being sensible and becoming a computer geek ;)

Then Dead Man's Chest must be in your top-five best movies ever list, right?

Actually I'm more interested in stop motion animation.

Stop motion animation is great. I used to try and make my own animations, some worked quite well. It's so much more interesting to watch than CGI, the characters seem to have so much more life.

I agree, there is a special quality to them.

I tried to make my own film when I was younger but it didn't turn out to well.

I was horribly disappointed in Nightmare when I saw it for the first time during its recent theatrical re-release. It has such a wide following, and yet it just seemed so....unengaging. Great music, though.

Ray Barnsbury

No I never liked Gamera either.

I have some old VHS versions of the Heisei series a friend of mine copied from the Deluxe Laserdiscs versions and he included all of the old Gamera trailers. I thought I was going to die laughing, it was some funny crappy stuff.

That's a Tim Burton characteristic, a lot of style, but not a lot of substance. I think his best film is Ed Wood though.

Yet people call him a genius of our time. I think he's a good director 'n all (I'd call myself a fan), but definitely not a genius.

I certainly don't think Burton is genious, and I agree the Ed Wood is his best film (by far, probably), but there is something about him. A style that no one else has, and, for better or worse, he is original.