Your favourite cue of the moment.

Quintus

We all have a piece, be it old or new which we can't get enough of lately. At the moment I can't stop listening to TPM's Escape From Naboo, the alternative percussion arrangement. I just love it from 01:08mins onwards (especially the snares) and I can't for the life of me understand why Lucas, or perhaps Williams himself chose to use the non-percussion version in the film.

The percussion really brings the music to life in this cue, turning it into a heart stomping listen, rather than the mildly exciting arrangement as heard in the film. With every listen I rate it more highly, indeed it could be one of my favourite Williams action cues.

So what do you keep listening to lately?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By no means my favourite of all time, but one I've listened to a lot recently is "The Battle - The Duel - The Victory" from The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Recent cues would be "Castles of Scotland" version 1 from The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes , "Gut Reaction" and "Air Supply" from Innerspace.

If JW is concerned I have recently discovered "Witches of Eastwick" and have fallen in love with "The Ballroom Scene". Beautiful melody, one of his least known jewels.

Lately, I'd say Retreat from ST: First Contact, the last part of The Mirror (the action part) from ST: Nemesis, and the FFII Rebel Theme section from the FF I-III Medley a friend here helped me...procure. :lol:

And personally I don't like to repeat cues when I listen to a score, it disturbs the flow for me. These are more what's playing in my head when I'm not listening to anything.

Recently it's been "Flight of the Mechanical Bees" from THE AVENGERS (Joel McNeely). I just discovered this score, and I can't get that infectious track out of my head! It's great!

Qui-Gon´s mission ( beautiful thematic flow - and a funny little hint to Saint Saens ) and Death of Jonathan Kent.

Lately "Passage to Iraklion" from Giacchino's Medal of Honor: Underground. Great rhythmic drive in that one.

Outside of cues my most played track is probably "If You Keep Losing Sleep" from Silvechair's new album Young Modern. Awesome song and some really great orchestrations.

"The Early Days" from BOTFOJ

"Short Round's Theme" from Temple of Doom

Concert suite from Seven Years in Tibet

I have a few that I like to play over and over again...

"The Battle Of Yavin" - Star Wars

"The Battle Of Hoth" - The Empire Strikes Back

"The Battle Over Coruscant" - Revenge Of The Sith

"Neodämmerung" - The Matrix Revolutions

"Battle At The Pyramid" - Stargate

"Surrender" - Stargate

"Transporter Horror" - Stargate

Those are just a few to name that I like to play over and over again. There are some others from various scores but these are my top ones.

I have been listening to A Star Shall Come Forth and In Rosa Vernat Lilium from Mychael Danna's excellent The Nativity Story a lot.

I am also nuts about I am the Senate cue from ROTS at the moment.

A few more...

"Rosebud" - Citizen Kane

"The Comeback" - Sunset Boulevard

"Farewell and the Tower" - Vertigo

"The Shark Cage Fugue" - Jaws original album

"The Big Rescue" - Superman, The Movie

"Rock Shop" - RoboCop

"The Ectsasy of Gold" - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

"The Enterprise" - Star Trek, The Motion Picture (no-one mentioned this yet??)

"Battle in the Mutara Nebula" - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

"Stealing the Enterprise" - Star Trek III The Search for Spock

"Mr. Longbottom Flies" - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Lately, I'd say Retreat from ST: First Contact, the last part of The Mirror (the action part) from ST: Nemesis, and the FFII Rebel Theme section from the FF I-III Medley a friend here helped me...procure. :rolleyes:

And personally I don't like to repeat cues when I listen to a score, it disturbs the flow for me. These are more what's playing in my head when I'm not listening to anything.

I get yelled at alot by my wife and daughter. It's usually "Will you quit rewinding the music!!!!" or "How many times are you going to listen to that piece?"

Is that before or after they badger you to listen to some "proper" music like a normal person?

Gosh, I hear that far to often.

I got that a lot in high school so I know how you feel Joe.

Lately, I'd say Retreat from ST: First Contact, the last part of The Mirror (the action part) from ST: Nemesis, and the FFII Rebel Theme section from the FF I-III Medley a friend here helped me...procure. :wave:

Have you listened to the alternate cue for "Retreat" from First Contact? I honestly like the alternate version better than the album/film version.

What you call the alternate for Retreat is actually the film version.

the CD has a different version of it.

Actually the CD version is the film version. Trust me I really compared them to the film. The alternate has slightly different orchestration to it and some notes that aren't present in the CD/film version.

I don't hear it, but I'm pretty sure that people think it.

I think most people I know have got used to it but still think it.

Except my brother likes Tom Newman almost as much as I do (he called me into his room while watching Life on Mars to ask my advice on what Newman score was being emulated), and I get the feeling my mum admires the fact that I like 'orchestral music', and not the headbanging crap most people my age like :wave: Plus her judgement was how I got my first Star Wars CD (TPM) in 2003 and she can even recognise my favourite composer's name (JNH).

Non-Williams: The Great Eatlon by James Newton Howard from Lady in the Water. If you haven't heard it yet, GET IT!

I've listened to it so many times I feel like I can follow every instrument that's playing at once.

I still cannot get Mockingbird or Snow Geese out of my head. Such fantastic compositions.

I've been on something of a Giacchino roll for a while. "Locke'd Out Again" and "Factory Rescue" non-stop for a week.

On the Williams side, I've listened to "Sean's Theme" a few times recently. Good stuff.

I generally don't like to wear the tunes out these days... no more than a scroll back to before the point where I had to turn the iPod off (to answer a call or give directions) or got distracted by passersby.

I was a young lad during the first JW golden era (late 70s to early 80s). Back then I drove my sister nuts with daily multiple playings of the Love Theme from Superman.

I did go a little nuts with The Mecha World from AI when it came out, just for the climax at "the place where the lions weep."

Lately, the Finale from Bernard Herrmann's Fahrenheit 451 (Esa-Pekka Salonen's recording on the Sony compilation) and the Immolation Scene from ROTS have been just right in careful doses.

Just a few...

* Mark Mancina's overture for The Haunted Mansion--the complete version from the film, not the truncated and grievously remixed version on the "Haunted Hits" album.

* Anything Indiana Jones or Star Wars, with RotLA and ROTS getting the most attention, respectively. (That's not to say I prefer ROTS over all the other SW scores...it just happens to come up a lot in shuffle.)

* "The Egg Travels" from James Newton Howard's Dinosaur. Absolutely incredible cue once you get past the forty seconds of bassoon and quiet percussion. Conducting that piece is a chill-inducing experience, especially if at the 2:25 mark you edit into that (in)famous passage from Drop Zone's "Too Many Notes - Not Enough Rests" with a little bit of that Dm add#4 chord from the end of "Padme's Visit" to help the transition. I will defend that particular Zimmer passage to the death, since it's from one of his early and more original scores. It's just too fun for me to ignore. So shoot me already.

last week it was the main titles to Grindhouse

I like the main motif...but the overall feel was a bit too close to Sin City for me.

Right now, I can't stop listening to The Force Theme at the beginning of RotS (the first track, I mean). Man, how great is that? Until recently I thought the Binary Sunset contained the most beautiful rendition of The Force Theme, but JW outdid himself in RotS. Those few seconds are so spectacularly bombastic... you don't even need the visuals to be perfectly content. You close your eyes and see the war raging in your head...

Also, I'm still listening to "David's Arrival" from A.I. That hauntingly melancholic English horn solo is one of the best JW has ever written... and hardly anybody knows about it because most people don't have the Oscar Promo CD. Kinda reminds me of the oboe solo from The Early Days (BOTFOJ), but this one's way better.

last week it was the main titles to Grindhouse

I like the main motif...but the overall feel was a bit too close to Sin City for me.

yeah I know what you mean but that motif is so damn catchy

I was playing a ton of the last couple of minutes of Rebirth from Goldsmith's Mummy just for the action theme to come in

Right now, I can't stop listening to The Force Theme at the beginning of RotS (the first track, I mean). Man, how great is that? Until recently I thought the Binary Sunset contained the most beautiful rendition of The Force Theme, but JW outdid himself in RotS. Those few seconds are so spectacularly bombastic... you don't even need the visuals to be perfectly content. You close your eyes and see the war raging in your head...

The two best Force theme statements in RotS are unreleased: the one when Obi-Wan arrives at Utapau (available from video game rips), and the great dark statement of it when Anakin is about to turn on Mace Windu (DVD rip only right now). The second one sounds to me to be very much a "companion statemtent" with the one in RoJ when Vader picks up the Emperor and chucks him in the pit. Just something in the orchestration, plus it makes sense plot-wise.

Any and all Chase Through Coruscant percussion from AOTC. I'm addicted to it right now.

Right now, I can't stop listening to The Force Theme at the beginning of RotS (the first track, I mean). Man, how great is that?

Good call...9 out of 10 times i hear this, my neck hair ends up standing

--GGI, who is biased

Right now Stokowski's arrangement of Bach's "Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor", as well as the track "Obrona Zbaraza" from Krzesimir Debski's film score "Ogniem i Mieczem".

(...) as well as the track "Obrona Zbaraza" from Krzesimir Debski's film score "Ogniem i Mieczem".

;) Cool. Debski is one of the finest polish composers and "Ogniem i Mieczem" is one of his best (if not the best) score. Check out some of his other scores if you can run accross them. BTW He has once worked as a violinist under JW:D

Right now, I can't stop listening to The Force Theme at the beginning of RotS (the first track, I mean). Man, how great is that?

Good call...9 out of 10 times i hear this, my neck hair ends up standing

--GGI, who is biased

Why does your neck hair end up standing? Because you don't agree??? ;)

you don't even need the visuals to be perfectly content.

I never need the visuals to be perfectly content.

Well, usually the visuals and the music combined achieves the best effect. In JW's case, of course, there are exceptions, especially when the music is so much better than what's being shown up on the screen.